Building a new comp! Suggestions?

Talyn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
I'm just trying to build a new rig - mainly for gaming of course and after a bit of research this is what I've come up with (all prices are in AUD). Suggestions would be REALLY helpful as I'm still in the deciding stage.

CPU:
AMD Athlon64 3500+ Venice 64-Bit CPU, Socket939 w/AMD fan-heatsink - $399.00

Motherboard:
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE (939 PCI-E) - $262.00

Memory:
2 x Corsair TWINX-3200XL PRO (400MHz) DDR RAM 512MB - $317.40

Graphics Card:
BFG 6800GT OC 256MB GDDR3 DVI PCI-E - $659.00

Hard Drive:
Seagate 200GB 7200rpm S-ATA150 Hard Drive with 8MB Cache - $169.00

Case:
Antec P180 "Performance One" - $225.00

PSU:
Antec TP-II 550 Watt TruePower 2.0 ATX2.01 Power Supply with 120mm Fan - $177.00

Cooling:
Antec 120mm SmartCool Fan - $25.40
AND
Antec 80mm SmartCool PLUS Fan - $23.40

CD/DVD Drive:
Pioneer DVR-109BK (Black) - $90

Mouse:
Logitech® MX™310 Optical Mouse - $38.40

Keyboard:
Logitech Media keyboard - $41.20

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD595 Headphones - $299.00

Monitor:
Samsung 713N 17" LCD Monitor TFT Flat Panel Display, Silver (8ms) - $432

Rough total: $3200

Besides that:
What is the approximate performance increase from having 2 x160 gig drives in a raid 0 configuration over just 1 x 160gig drive (assuming they're both 7200rpm 8mb). I've heard everything from nothing to a whopping 70% increase in performance (Which i think is bs).

I could increase spending a bit but basically I'm trying to get a very decent comp with potential for upgrade while still being able to play the latest games with full res (and hopefully Elder Scrolls: Oblivion when it comes out)

Thanks in advance

pauldh

Illustrious
How much does the X800XL and GF7800GTX cost compared to that 6800GT? Are you planning on adding a second 6800GT in the near furture? In the USA, the X800XL is $100 cheaper than the 6800GT, while the 7800GTX is about $200-250 more. IMO, At our pricing X800XL now, swapped out for a 7800GTX or faster later is a better upgrade route than a 6800GT now and a second one in SLI later.

Also 7800GT will soon be out.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

Talyn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
The x800xl is about $550 while the 6800gt is $650 - as for the 7800 gtx that's about a solid grand.

The problem is - i WAS planning on getting another 6800gt around when Oblivion comes out so that I can get really nice shadows and other effects.

You do have a point though - bah... and just when i was happy about my system.

How does the benchmarks for the 7800GTX compare with the other cards (such as the 6800gt) - I already know that the x800xl performs just as well as the 6800gt in most areas.

What about the raid 0 thing? Is it worth it?

I'll do some research over the next 5 hours:p

UPDATE:

I've just looked at the 7800gtx benchmarks and I think I'll give that a pass right now. The thing is I'm "probably" going to upgrade my system in about november ... thats 4 months so I figured the best way would be to get a second BFG 6800gt - because SLI seems to improve frame rates when u turn on AA and AF.

AS for the x800xl - the benchmarks are defiantely impressive for it's price but I don't want to have to ditch it in a few months:p

but performance wise - wouldn't 2 x6800gts do better than 1 x 7800gtx if I were to play games on max AA and max AF?

so... pricewise thats 1300 (for the gts) versus 1500 (x800xl then 7800gtx)...

Help anyone?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Talyn on 07/07/05 08:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

As the resident leader of the Morrowind-Nutbar-Society, I welcome you. :lol:

I would say buy the X800XL, take the savings save/invest them, and then when Oblivion launches sell it and buy the GF7800GTX. That should save you money compared to 2 GTs (based on your pricing) and should give you better performance and power consumption.

From what I've seen they've done alot with the GF7800GTX to improve the handling of the dynamic shadowns and both hard and soft shadows so you will benifits from that if you're concerned about shadow effects. Plus the minor reqorking of both the vertex engine and the addition of better compression should help with the massive outdoor scenes.

While it's expensive now, I would think that the GF7800GTX (or even it's GT brother to be launched soon) gives you a far better playing experience and not the partial boost of SLi or Crossfire, most of the benchies sofar have shown the GF7800GTX leading over SLi in all but rare exceptions. How this will play out in Oblivion is an unknown though.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Talyn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
To be honest, I lost interest in morrowind - because my crappy geforce 2 card just couldn't handle it. It was *painful* playing it with such a low frame rate (Literally painful... it made my eyes burn;p).

You guys might have a point... in that case, should I even bother with SLI? 2 x 7800GTXs ... wow.

ok - assuming I go with what you guys suggested should I invest in a better processor now? because that's one of the things that I'm not planning on changing... for a very very long time.

I'll do a bit more research... haha
i guess if i get the x800xl I might even consider getting the mythical R520 in the future:)

UPDATE:
That said - what brand should I go with if assuming I'm going with the x800xl then 7800gtx method?

I can get my hands on ABIT, Powercolor, Gigabyte and MSI ... I'm saving about 100 bucks on the ABIT and Powercolor but the gigabyte one is almost the same price:|

If there is a particular brand that stands out then I'll go with them if not, then I'll probably stick to Abit or the cheapest.

Second update:

I just thought about this, since there isn't a "huge" price difference between the BFG 6800gt and x800xl (here in australia anyway) would it be better to just ditch the 6800gt in november and go for the 7800GTX?

Just playing around with a few ideas, and assuming I do that then I should probably consider getting a 3800+ (I actually changed it TO 3500+). Thats another thing, will my CPU hamper the performance of the 7800GTX? I don't want anything to get in the way (I'll add another 2 sticks of 512 ram just to make sure).

*I better sleep on it:)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Talyn on 07/07/05 11:40 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

To be honest, I lost interest in morrowind - because my crappy geforce 2 card just couldn't handle it. It was *painful* playing it with such a low frame rate (Literally painful.. it made my eyes burn;p).
LOL, better than my first experiences on PC (first discovered it on Xbox), using an AMDk6-2 366 laptop with 8mb of video ram (min spec is 32), and a Celeron 466 desktop with 16mb PCI AIW card, my phisolophy was don't look at the cities it'll kill your framerate always look aoutwards! :lol: Biggest motivation for getting the R8500DV at the time.

in that case, should I even bother with SLI?
Nah, but maybe SLi2 and Crossfire, so wait for those to solidify IMO.

ok - assuming I go with what you guys suggested should I invest in a better processor now? because that's one of the things that I'm not planning on changing... for a very very long time.
Bad time to decide. Dual core is very new, and thus kinda overpriced, whether or not we will see much benifit for multi-core long term is yet to be seen. The venice is solid for now (I have seen the SanDiego 3700+ for close to the price of the 3500+ when on sale, and that extra cache is very attractive. However what's the best long term? X2 would be, but is it worth the money, dunno for most of your apps it might act just like a 3200+ for the next year or two?

i guess if i get the x800xl I might even consider getting the mythical R520 in the future:)
That's an option too. The widely held motto around here is, when the games you want to play actually come out, THEN decide on what to get. Who knows, there may be a 24pipe version of the R520 to compete with the GTX or GT as Vapor keep alluding (well that's light, it's more like Insisting or Demanding we Accept, No 32-pipe for you!).

Perhaps by that time we have another participant in the graphics market. LOL, oh yeah sure! :wink:

I can get my hands on ABIT, Powercolor and Gigabyte
Well Abit and PC are close enough to the same. They will have different benifits and drawbacks. The Powercolor needs the extra molex connector and has a fan that spins almost all the time, however it does come with 1.6ns memory so for overclocking it's the best. Abit has a little better power properties and a better cooler, but has the standard 2.0ns memory. At stock go with the Abit, if you want to do some OCing go with the PowerColor IMO.

EDIT: I assume you mean <A HREF="http://www.abit-usa.com/products/graphics/techspec.php?categories=2&model=273" target="_new">THIS Abit card</A> and not the <A HREF="http://www.abit-usa.com/products/graphics/techspec.php?categories=2&model=283" target="_new">Fatal1ty</A> one.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 07/07/05 10:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Talyn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
Come to think of it I probably won't be using the SLI in the motherboard for atleast a year (now that I'm going with the path you mentioned). Much better to save the 50 dollars on the motherboard and spend it in November or something.

As for over-clocking I probably won't be dipping my hands in that for any of the new stuff (more concerned with what I can see than pure performance) - in that case ABIT is the best then? How does that compare with the generic ATI one?

Now I'm off to look for a good Socket 939 motherboard WITHOUT SLI :p Any suggestions? No over-clocking - getting a seperate sound card anyway, performance over price (within reason)

I spend the last 2 months researching this and I still have to make changes. I guess that just means I'll be happier with my overall system.

For the processor I might nudge it up to 3800+ the FX-55 is like twice... if not 2.5 times the price so I think I'll leave that alone; while the x2 range is about $150 more expensive per chip.

Thanks for all the help you've given me already btw:)

UPDATE:

MSI K8N Neo4-Platinum - $216.00
OR
ABIT AN8-Fatal1ty - $285.00

are currently on the top of my list.

What's the major difference between them? If it's negligible then I'll go with MSI (still trying to save a bit of money here and there)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Talyn on 07/07/05 01:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

The main differences between the ATI and Abit are the slightly better power regulation chips on the card (better stability, and may help get better ocing [especially core] than the reference Built By Ati). The cooler is also different, I've read that the Abit is somewhat quieter, but I don't know. The Abit also has dual DVI and ViVo which is not on the BBA except for the 512mb model. The advantage to BBA would be the 3year warranty, IIRC Abit is 1year.

As for MoBo's I'm not a guru, I just knows what I like. I know there's MSI fans out there who could answer your questions about that one, I have heard some negative things from people who've had ASUS. I personally like Gigabyte, but the memory spacing on their S939 boards is terrible (bows out Corsair XMS PRO sticks). I'm personally looking at the DFI LANPARTY UT NF4-D, despite my love of Gigabyte, the DFI is not an SLi and not an Ultra version, but still has alot of the nice features, including dual PEG16x slots which might be useable for something like Crossfire, maybe not. These are much cheaper than both the Ultra and the SLi where I am, not sure in OZ. You may want to also consider what features oof the 'ULTRA' you want, like the SATA2, etc.

As for the CPU, I'd say forget the 3700+ and go for the 3700+ SanDiego. It has more potential, and it's worth the OC'ing for those IMO. The 3800+ is just too similar to the 3500+ to warrant the usually large premium I see for them.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Best non SLI mobo? <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2465&p=28" target="_new">Here you go</A>

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

Talyn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
Thanks guys,

My overall system is looking pretty tight right now - I've got all the upgrades planned (with the exception of the graphics card) and I'm saving about a futher 200 bucks:D

Just hope everything goes well over the next 3 weeks of ordering and processing:p