Cannot display Network connections - networking not working

June 20, 2005 3:52:10 PM

Hello

Networking does not seem to be working on this XP SP2 machine. Also if I go
into Network Connections in Control Panel get message:

The network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network
adapters in your machine. Please make sure that the network connections
service is enabled and running.

I checked the network connections service and it was running OK.

Note that this computer does not have an Ethernet card. It connects to the
Internet via a DSL modem. I found lots of sites explaining that TCP/IP can
be re-installed by right clicking on the network connection in question in
Network Connections. But I cannot do this of course.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Angus
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:56:55 PM

Q299357 - How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP-IP) in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299357

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Angus Comber" <angus@NOSPAMiteloffice.com> wrote in message news:%23Mm%23YYYdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hello
>
> Networking does not seem to be working on this XP SP2 machine. Also if I go into Network Connections in Control Panel get
> message:
>
> The network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters in your machine. Please make sure that the
> network connections service is enabled and running.
>
> I checked the network connections service and it was running OK.
>
> Note that this computer does not have an Ethernet card. It connects to the Internet via a DSL modem. I found lots of sites
> explaining that TCP/IP can be re-installed by right clicking on the network connection in question in Network Connections. But I
> cannot do this of course.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Angus

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:21:09 AM

Yes I tried netsh commands - always get access denied - even though user is
Administrator. Perhaps I need to re-install everything.

Angus

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o vjCancdFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Q299357 - How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP-IP) in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299357
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "Angus Comber" <angus@NOSPAMiteloffice.com> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> Networking does not seem to be working on this XP SP2 machine. Also if I
>> go into Network Connections in Control Panel get message:
>>
>> The network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network
>> adapters in your machine. Please make sure that the network connections
>> service is enabled and running.
>>
>> I checked the network connections service and it was running OK.
>>
>> Note that this computer does not have an Ethernet card. It connects to
>> the Internet via a DSL modem. I found lots of sites explaining that
>> TCP/IP can be re-installed by right clicking on the network connection in
>> question in Network Connections. But I cannot do this of course.
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Angus

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:36:42 AM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
If no help, try a repair setup.
If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--
Mark L. Ferguson