card recommended for 1680 x 1050, apple display?

3030vision

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
i'm pretty sure i'm going to buy an apple 20" cinema display (1680 x 1050) or maybe even a 23" (1920 x 1200) for my pc. I understand a special video card is needed for the 30". Are there any special considerations for the monitors i'm looking at?

i'd like to buy a good card to drive this monitor, but i don't want to go too crazy. i'm not looking to do much or any gaming at the moment. also, i figure i may replace the card before i replace the monitor.

thanks in advance for your help!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A single connection has maximum bandwidth for 1600x1200. 1680x1050 is fewer pixels and shouldn't be a problem.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
isnt it 1920x1200? (for an lcd that is)
for the single link dvi

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't believe it's a hard limit, so different sources may quote different sizes. I remember an article at Tom's about the increasing problems from using increasingly higher resolutions, where I'm fairly certain they recommended 1600x1200 max for a single link.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

1920x1200 is with reduced blanking. Not great if you can avoid it cause it can cause issues.

Only if he's worried about an upgrade would it matter moving to dual link TMDS, and then I'd do that instead of trying to sueeze the last out of single link. There are cheap dual link cards out there like the R9650, and as the GF7800 shows there's a push towards dual link, we may see them in most mid-range cards shortly.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
To post #1:

If gaming isn't going to be a common use with this monitor, then I would suggest either the Geforce 6800 Ultra, or the Radeon x800 XL. If you ever decide the power isn't cutting it for you, then you can just add another card for SLI/Crossfire.

If you predict yourself doing this, then you may just want to get the 7800 GT expected to come out soon. I heard somewhere it will be around $500. This card will be good for gaming, but if you don't really do that much of it, then the 6800 Ultra/x800 XL should be good options.

Id' say that's overkill only because he said;

<i>"i'm not looking to do much or any gaming at the moment."</i>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
Right, but for the occasional gaming, and to be somewhat "future proof" those are good choices. I guess if all you're going to do is interenet browsing, email, and simple tasks like that, then maybe something more toned down would be a more realistic solution, perhaps an ATI 9800, or 9600.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Gamer_369 on 07/11/05 07:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

3030vision

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
I really appreciate the replies, especially the specific graphics cards recommendations. I've pretty much decided on the 23" Cinema Display (1920x1200). It sounds like a regular DVI connection should be able to handle this although it's not necessarily recommended. Am i taking a big chance there?

This may be sacrilege, but i'm considering starting off with the integrated graphics board on the new motherboard i'm considering: the Intel GMA 950 (http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/). I'm hoping this will get me by for non-gaming tasks until i have a chance to upgrade. I'm trying to keep it under control, as i'm using the monitor upgrade (to DVI) as an excuse to update my entire system.

Also, i'm not sure if the graphics cards recommended here are specifically PCI Express, but that's probably what i would be looking for.

Finally, for what it's worth, i'm looking at building my new system based on the "The Next Generation of Cool" article (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050621/index.html).

Thanks, y'all.

dhlucke

Polypheme
holy crap. Integrated?!

You're going to hell for that.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

3030vision

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Well, is there a PCI Express card that would be worth my time for around $100-150? Again, I'm not looking to game, i'd just like a decent card to run my Cinema Display! I'd really prefer a passively cooled option (no fan!).