FAT32 to NTFS conversion

I am running my main computer on Win XP, in the FAT32 format. This computer has 2 hard drives (one has the operating system on it, and the other is for file storage and backup), and it is also on a wireless network in the house. The other computers are running Win Me (so also in FAT32).
I would like to know if there is a way to convert the 2 hard drives on my main computer to the ntfs without doing a new install, in other words without loosing the data that is on these hdd's. (The same way Win 95 was able to convert from FAT 16 to 32).
I am also curious if while on the network, I will be able to see the files on the ntfs disks from my Win Me computer, and vice versa.
Thanks in advance for your help.
5 answers Last reply
More about fat32 ntfs conversion
  1. <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314097" target="_new">How to Use Convert.exe to Convert a Partition to the NTFS File System</A>

I would back up anything that is important first.

Your arrogance is boring!
  2. <b>Note</b>
    Run <b>convert</b> command with <b><font color=red>/Cvtarea</b></font color=red> to improve system's performance. This allows the master file table (MFT), the index of all files and folders in selected volume, to be created in one single space rather than being fragmented.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  3. yes,you should be okay, winme can read ntfs. Although if you have any linux or unix based system on your network,you will not be able to access ntfs files. The linux software for reading ntfs is still pretty alpha, maybe beta
  4. File system (FAT or NTFS) does not matter in accessing network. Your WinME will certainly be able to access any computer with NTFS volume in your network w/o problem.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  5. Thanks for your help guys
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Hard Drives FAT32 Windows XP