firewire question.... ???

....I want to add an external hard disk and external DVD writer to my PC....
If these have a choice of either USB2 or Firewire - does one outweigh the
other ???

.... is firewire connection the same as USB (Win XP home) - ie... do I just
plug in and Win will see the 'extra' drives... or do I need any extra
software/CD to install it ????
2 answers Last reply
More about firewire question

    Boy, did you just open a can of worms. The USB vs. firewire debate is
    ongoing. Although there are technical differences between the two,
    practically speaking, there's no compelling difference between them. Like
    many things in computer-dom, it's turning into another p***ing match between
    advocates of rival technologies. There were rumors that Windows doesn't
    support the full throughput of 1394b fireware; perhaps that's been settled
    by now. You won't go wrong with either one.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > ...I want to add an external hard disk and external DVD writer to my
    PC....
    > If these have a choice of either USB2 or Firewire - does one outweigh the
    > other ???
    >
    > ... is firewire connection the same as USB (Win XP home) - ie... do I just
    > plug in and Win will see the 'extra' drives... or do I need any extra
    > software/CD to install it ????

    This only covers Firewire 400mbps. Vs Usb 2.0 speeds. Firewire 1394b
    (800mbps) is now gaining acceptance. The information on the website is
    from a Usb resellers perspective, so I don't think it's slanted toward
    firewire.
    It all depends on what your future needs will be.
    'Which is faster Hi-Speed USB 2.0 or FireWire?'
    (http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm)
    The full throughput of 1394b firewire issue has been resolved in XP.
    Good luck,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman