6600gt not recieving sufficient power, please help

evillion

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2005
hi, im having this annoying problem recently when i boot up pc. it comes out a message says: Nvidia sentinel detects that your video card is not receiving sufficient power supply. To be safe and to avoid hardware damage, it has downgraded your video cards performance to a safe level." i've checked that the extra molex connector is well plugged to the power supply and the card is sitting correctly on the mobo. ever since i got this error, i replaced my old 350w psu to a new 400w psu, yet i still get this error message. and when i swapped to a differnt 400w psu the problem remains. here's my pc spec:
p4 2.66ghz
RAM 512mb x 2 ddr333
80G hdd
P4PE mobo agp 4X
128mb 6600gt winfast
1 DVD rom and 1 CD writer
im pretty sure a 350w - 400w psu would serve my pc well as my friend who's using a faster pc than me wif a 6600gt also and runs fine on his 350w psu. now this problem usually happens when i first boot upo to windows and it doesnt show again after i reboot. weird. anyone please help me.

mofofosho

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005
sounds to me like you either have a bad psu or card with the latter being dubious at best. for starters, try swapping plugs or a similar wattage psu with a friend to test. make sure youve got good amps on those rails...safer bet's to stick with solid "truepower" brand names.

evillion

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2005
the thing is i've tried 3 different psu all new ones and they all seem to hav the same error. so i guess it might lay more towards the video card perhapse?

mofofosho

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005
i suppose. but if youre willing to go another full extra mile by factoring in stuffs like mayhaps a faulty wall oulet, sockets, extensions, point plugs, UPS, etc.
only with all bases covered can you try exposing the full monty of it...why not try shuffling that box of yours to a buddys place/shop to have that plugged in and juiced up, just to see if it fixes things up or where/whatevers convenient.