Anyone not having problems with their 6600GT card?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I read a lot of reports of a heat problem. People suggested updating the BIOS, lack of volts, not enough power and newer drivers not compatible. I want to suggest this card to my brother, but now I’m having doubts.

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
Can't say that I have... Mines currently overclocked to 540Mhz and the ram is at 1Gig. Runs really good and at full load about 66C. I hacked the bios to see the temps. Running at idle it is at 57C. Is your card PCI-E or AGP? Mines AGP

<b><font color=red>][</font color=red><font color=orange>n</font color=orange><font color=purple>C</font color=purple><font color=red>i</font color=red><font color=orange>N</font color=orange><font color=purple>e</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=orange>a</font color=orange><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=red>o</font color=red><font color=orange>R</font color=orange></b> :cool:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks. What name brand card do you have? That sounds like a decent OC on the cpu. I was reading much higher tempts then that, 66C isn’t bad at all, especially while OC. Is this with AA/AF off, because I heard there was a big difference in heat with them enabled? This card would be for my brother, I have a 6800U card.

mofofosho

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005
problems are inherent, so, even with gfx cards you'll face niggling ones that may pop and crop over time,mostly driver/heat related issues...but yeah, these are also good a mainstream card as any to tide you over this tzunami of changelings, though not the wisest, imho.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I did a search for other cards overheating and had just as many finds, so I think your right and there’s nothing to worry about. The 6600GT seems to be a very good card for the price. What would you get for $150?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks. For a little more my bro can get the X card, for just another $30 and he could get the Y card, so on and so on :wink: . I’ll suggest to him for a few more bones he could get a 6800.

mofofosho

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005
no.
thank you.
youve just made me realize how important it is to get as close an estimate as possible even though prices per se fluctuate in a given spread over time/region/economy/$ exchange, etc...glad to be of help, if any.

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
Its an EVGA card and I generally run it with AA off but AF on. AA on that card tends to kick its butt so i leave it off. I actually prefer to crank the res up a bit over turning on AA. I would assume the heat would go up a little if AA was on but how much im not exactly sure.

<b><font color=red>][</font color=red><font color=orange>n</font color=orange><font color=purple>C</font color=purple><font color=red>i</font color=red><font color=orange>N</font color=orange><font color=purple>e</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=orange>a</font color=orange><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=red>o</font color=red><font color=orange>R</font color=orange></b> :cool:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Cool, the EVGA card is what I suggested to my bro. No particular reason, accept a lot of people bought it at newegg.com. At least the card can handle AF and the res up. That’s not too much of a sacrifice. I think you only notice it when you stop moving and look for steps.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yeah, I’m not worried about a heat problem anymore. I wasn’t being sarcastic or at least didn’t mean to sound that way. My brother needs more hardware, so ever dollar counts. He also wants a Athlon 64 3000, PC400 Ram and maybe a power supply. Not to forget a beefy heat sink and some fans.