Fat32 to NTFS Convert Slowed Bootup

Used CONVERT to Change C drive from FAT32 to NTFS. OS is Windows XP Pro with
SP2 and latest security updates. There is a significant delay between
Windows splash screen and the logon screen. During that time (about 2
minutes) the hard disk is accessed in many short bursts of reads. I load
about 70 background processes and about 12 apps in system tray.

I believe that this could be caused by the fact that the cluster size is now
512 bytes instead of 4k. If that is a correct assessment, can the cluster
size be changed without having to format and reload great gobs of apps and
data anew?

Defraging the C drive without the pagefile.sys has improved the bootup
performance but it is not near what it was before running CONVERT. I would
appreciate any hint of my options. If I need to do certain type of backup I
have a second large local hard disk drive on the machine and also lots of
harddisk space on my network.

Thanks, Harry

Purchase Partition Magic 8 and use it to change your
cluster size to 4k.

Partition Magic 8
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Harry Kost" wrote:

| Used CONVERT to Change C drive from FAT32 to NTFS. OS is Windows XP Pro with
| SP2 and latest security updates. There is a significant delay between
| Windows splash screen and the logon screen. During that time (about 2
| minutes) the hard disk is accessed in many short bursts of reads. I load
| about 70 background processes and about 12 apps in system tray.
|
| I believe that this could be caused by the fact that the cluster size is now
| 512 bytes instead of 4k. If that is a correct assessment, can the cluster
| size be changed without having to format and reload great gobs of apps and
| data anew?
|
| Defraging the C drive without the pagefile.sys has improved the bootup
| performance but it is not near what it was before running CONVERT. I would
| appreciate any hint of my options. If I need to do certain type of backup I
| have a second large local hard disk drive on the machine and also lots of
| harddisk space on my network.
|
| Thanks, Harry

TRENDING THREADS