Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Time for the asking again! MISSILE COMMAND Hi Score Save K..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:05:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Anyone ready to take this venture on yet or have one ready to go?

john
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 4:29:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Matt Osborn wrote:
> Just to be clear, Tim's board was the proto, so it ain't pretty!
> And no, I don't have a "kit" ready... nor am I planning on making one anytime soon.
>
> Matt
>
> "guinness" <guinness@REMOVEaspi.net> wrote
> > Its a little hacky (hardwired), but including Super Missile was a nice touch.
> >
> > tim (NH)
> >
> > "Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:1124304174.294019@hqnntp01.autodesk.com...
> >>I did one for Tim Burnham. Maybe he'll sell it to you....
> >>
> >> Matt
> >>
> >> "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote
> >>>
> >>> Anyone ready to take this venture on yet or have one ready to go?
> >>>
> >>> john

I see many more looking for this kit. Hopefully someone will make it.

John
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:04:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

How complicated is the hack? I dont suppose you have any type of
instruction????

Troy
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 6:43:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I did one for Tim Burnham. Maybe he'll sell it to you....

Matt

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1124301903.984732.42320@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
> Anyone ready to take this venture on yet or have one ready to go?
>
> john
>
August 17, 2005 6:50:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Its a little hacky (hardwired), but including Super Missile was a nice
touch.

tim (NH)

"Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:1124304174.294019@hqnntp01.autodesk.com...
>I did one for Tim Burnham. Maybe he'll sell it to you....
>
> Matt
>
> "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1124301903.984732.42320@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> Anyone ready to take this venture on yet or have one ready to go?
>>
>> john
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:24:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Just to be clear, Tim's board was the proto, so it ain't pretty!
And no, I don't have a "kit" ready... nor am I planning on making one anytime soon.

Matt

"guinness" <guinness@REMOVEaspi.net> wrote
> Its a little hacky (hardwired), but including Super Missile was a nice touch.
>
> tim (NH)
>
> "Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:1124304174.294019@hqnntp01.autodesk.com...
>>I did one for Tim Burnham. Maybe he'll sell it to you....
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote
>>>
>>> Anyone ready to take this venture on yet or have one ready to go?
>>>
>>> john
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:02:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

O.K.... So, again, is anyone going to undertake the Missile Command Hi
Score save please. It's been only 3 years and no takers if not more.

John
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:09:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

a picture of the hack would be nice..
<takeman@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1124309064.931969.142520@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> How complicated is the hack? I dont suppose you have any type of
> instruction????
>
> Troy
>
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:19:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

If it were a question of reproduction to sell the boards I'd say he
has every reason keeping it confidential. However, if it's not going
to be pursued, sold or reproduced and there currently isn't any
development going on I don't see any harm in making some plans
available on a site for download.
Just guessing it's probably more the case in not having it in hand to
refer to in documenting parts needed and circuits made.


On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:09:44 GMT, "Shatter Proof"
<shatter_proof@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>a picture of the hack would be nice..
><takeman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:1124309064.931969.142520@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> How complicated is the hack? I dont suppose you have any type of
>> instruction????
>>
>> Troy
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:19:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I make everything I do freely available, because I do it for fun.
Someday I'll get around to documenting it and making a spiffy webpage.
Expect to see it sometime soon after Clay releases his MC kit. ;-)

Matt
http://www.scoresaves.info

"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote
> If it were a question of reproduction to sell the boards I'd say he
> has every reason keeping it confidential. However, if it's not going
> to be pursued, sold or reproduced and there currently isn't any
> development going on I don't see any harm in making some plans
> available on a site for download.
> Just guessing it's probably more the case in not having it in hand to
> refer to in documenting parts needed and circuits made.
>
>
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:09:44 GMT, "Shatter Proof"
> <shatter_proof@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>a picture of the hack would be nice..
>><takeman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>news:1124309064.931969.142520@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>>> How complicated is the hack? I dont suppose you have any type of
>>> instruction????
>>>
>>> Troy
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:22:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

No commitments but I wouldn't mind taking this on once my new house is
finished and the basement lab is operational.
-Adam
=================
www.onecircuit.com
=================
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:10:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:44:14 -0400, "Matt Osborn"
<osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>
>I make everything I do freely available, because I do it for fun.
>Someday I'll get around to documenting it and making a spiffy webpage.
>Expect to see it sometime soon after Clay releases his MC kit. ;-)

Is that when hell freezes over then? We'll have a long time to wait if
so - Clay has supposedly been working on his MC high score save kit
for a fair few years now. In fact, this is the main reason that no-one
else has developed a kit - it's a small market as it is so there's no
point in two people making the same kit, hence everyone has been
waiting on Clay. This isn't a general dig at Clay BTW, he has provided
some great stuff to the collecting community over the years, but the
MC high score save kit has been a real bugbear in taking so long (and
yes, I know he has a life, a job, etc).

It's a shame that someone like the excellent Scott Brasington couldn't
have made it - his kits are very fine indeed. See here for details:

http://www.brasington.org/arcade/
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:13:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I'm another person who want's a couple kit's once they are done.

Todd
August 25, 2005 7:42:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Yes i have 25 of them i already made in stock.But i don't want to sell any.
"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1124326942.530678.11650@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> O.K.... So, again, is anyone going to undertake the Missile Command Hi
> Score save please. It's been only 3 years and no takers if not more.
>
> John
>
August 25, 2005 7:44:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

You have a laboratory in your basement.??.You mean you have a table and a
volt meter and screwdriver.
"ajcrm125" <ajcrm125@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1124364169.600199.254130@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> No commitments but I wouldn't mind taking this on once my new house is
> finished and the basement lab is operational.
> -Adam
> =================
> www.onecircuit.com
> =================
>
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:57:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

One day in the future, the Missile Command Hi Score Kit will arrive. I
just know it. Maybe if Clay feels up to it, he'll finish it shortly
after reading all of these great posts...........

John
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:58:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Mark, quit being an ass.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:42:25 -0400, "MARK" <MARKLINE@OPTONLINE.NET>
wrote:

>Yes i have 25 of them i already made in stock.But i don't want to sell any.
>"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:1124326942.530678.11650@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> O.K.... So, again, is anyone going to undertake the Missile Command Hi
>> Score save please. It's been only 3 years and no takers if not more.
>>
>> John
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:01:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

John,

About the only way to get someone to make a working MC high score save
is to pay them up front for their development time. I think the average
age of the people collecting games (and developing upgrades) is getting
to the point where free time and interest is waning. Coupled with the
fact that high-score saves on their own are pretty lame (with no
offense to Matt O).

Money talks, but constant begging will get you nowhere.



tm



Baraka wrote:
> One day in the future, the Missile Command Hi Score Kit will arrive. I
> just know it. Maybe if Clay feels up to it, he'll finish it shortly
> after reading all of these great posts...........
>
> John
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:38:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

So Clay,

Are you actually saying that this Missile Command kit will coming to
homes near us in the near future? Is this something that's going to
actually happen soon? (by the way, I want one of these when the come
out if you haven't figured it out?).... Hehehe......

John
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 4:38:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1125254312.686462.237870@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Are you actually saying that this Missile Command kit will coming to
> homes near us in the near future? Is this something that's going to
> actually happen soon? (by the way, I want one of these when the come
> out if you haven't figured it out?).... Hehehe......

"Soon" is tough to quantify, but I did figure out the problem that was
stopping me from doing a production run on the kit. The bad news is that I
think the way I want to fix it means I toss most of the old circuit board
design. (Basically I found a bus contention problem and I need to disable a
couple buffers on the main board that I previously thought wouldn't be a
problem. I *could* have people make a couple hacks to the board, but I like
the idea of a no-cuts, no-soldering install if at all possible. Those old
Atari boards without soldermask are pretty easy to screw up if people are
less than experts with a soldering iron. ;-)

-Clay
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:11:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

<rgvac_junk@mgcap.com> wrote
> ...
> Coupled with the fact that high-score saves on their own are pretty lame (with no offense to Matt O).

"Fact"?!? There are collectors out there that have absolutely no interest in multigames but would love to see all the games in
their arcades save high scores (Tim Burnham happens to be one... I mention him only because I see his sorry ass just about every day
at work, and he's expressed his disinterest in multigames on several occasions ;-). Typically these are collectors with sizable
arcades of dedicated machines. For them it's all about nostalgia... they don't want anything to detract from the look and feel of
the games they remember from their youth.

No offense taken Tom.... And I would enjoy hearing how you formulated your *opinion* of high-score saves.

Matt
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 7:56:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Matt Osborn <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
: <rgvac_junk@mgcap.com> wrote
:> ...
:> Coupled with the fact that high-score saves on their own are pretty lame (with no offense to Matt O).
:
: "Fact"?!? There are collectors out there that have absolutely no
: interest in multigames but would love to see all the games in
: their arcades save high scores (Tim Burnham happens to be one...
: I mention him only because I see his sorry ass just about every day
: : at work,


You see Tim's ass just about every day at work?

Is that part of your actual job description, or do you consider it a perk?

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:54:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Hey Matt,

I was just saying that, from people that I know, developing a
high-score save by itself is not as compelling as a high-score save
coupled with additional diagnostics, multigame, etc. Most of the people
I know aren't overly concerned with touting their high score for all to
see. Perhaps when they were thirteen.. ;) 

But my sample of friends may not be the norm.

tm


Matt Osborn wrote:
> <rgvac_junk@mgcap.com> wrote
> > ...
> > Coupled with the fact that high-score saves on their own are pretty lame (with no offense to Matt O).
>
> "Fact"?!? There are collectors out there that have absolutely no interest in multigames but would love to see all the games in
> their arcades save high scores (Tim Burnham happens to be one... I mention him only because I see his sorry ass just about every day
> at work, and he's expressed his disinterest in multigames on several occasions ;-). Typically these are collectors with sizable
> arcades of dedicated machines. For them it's all about nostalgia... they don't want anything to detract from the look and feel of
> the games they remember from their youth.
>
> No offense taken Tom.... And I would enjoy hearing how you formulated your *opinion* of high-score saves.
>
> Matt
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:05:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

You make a good point. Might explain why I play my games with less
frequency :) 



tm

Matt Osborn wrote:
> For me, the score save has nothing to do with showing off (I don't give a rat's ass what people think about my playing skills).
> It gives me something to shoot for when playing, and a sense of accomplishment when I make the high-score table.
> Without a high-score save I usually play a mediocre game or two, put "AAA" in the table, and then move on to the next machine.
> With the score save I often find myself playing a machine for literally hours... until I can put my initials in the table or grow
> physically tired. Either way, I walk away happy.
>
> With the score saves I wrote that use the test ROM socket (like Time Pilot, Gyruss, etc.) there's plenty of space to write a
> plethora of advanced diagnostics. Not hard to do either... just time consuming. And how much fun is that? Is that time well
> spent? I think not.
>
> Matt
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:45:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

For me, the score save has nothing to do with showing off (I don't give a rat's ass what people think about my playing skills).
It gives me something to shoot for when playing, and a sense of accomplishment when I make the high-score table.
Without a high-score save I usually play a mediocre game or two, put "AAA" in the table, and then move on to the next machine.
With the score save I often find myself playing a machine for literally hours... until I can put my initials in the table or grow
physically tired. Either way, I walk away happy.

With the score saves I wrote that use the test ROM socket (like Time Pilot, Gyruss, etc.) there's plenty of space to write a
plethora of advanced diagnostics. Not hard to do either... just time consuming. And how much fun is that? Is that time well
spent? I think not.

Matt

<rgvac_junk@mgcap.com> wrote
> Hey Matt,
>
> I was just saying that, from people that I know, developing a
> high-score save by itself is not as compelling as a high-score save
> coupled with additional diagnostics, multigame, etc. Most of the people
> I know aren't overly concerned with touting their high score for all to
> see. Perhaps when they were thirteen.. ;) 
>
> But my sample of friends may not be the norm.
>
> tm
>
>
> Matt Osborn wrote:
>> <rgvac_junk@mgcap.com> wrote
>> > ...
>> > Coupled with the fact that high-score saves on their own are pretty lame (with no offense to Matt O).
>>
>> "Fact"?!? There are collectors out there that have absolutely no interest in multigames but would love to see all the games in
>> their arcades save high scores (Tim Burnham happens to be one... I mention him only because I see his sorry ass just about every
>> day
>> at work, and he's expressed his disinterest in multigames on several occasions ;-). Typically these are collectors with sizable
>> arcades of dedicated machines. For them it's all about nostalgia... they don't want anything to detract from the look and feel
>> of
>> the games they remember from their youth.
>>
>> No offense taken Tom.... And I would enjoy hearing how you formulated your *opinion* of high-score saves.
>>
>> Matt
>
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:06:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Scramble is on my list, I dont' have a board so it hasn't worked it's
way to the top yet. But I figure by running the address lines
throught the cpld the list of games that will run on it is too big for
me to type here. :)  And maybe if I get created with the sound, I may
have to go with the compact flash card interface I have running instead
of eproms.

Dave
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:30:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Konami already has a Multi-game out (albiet it was a limited Japan only
release on the System 573 platform) for the early stuff that included
Pooyan, Scramble, Circus Charlie, Yie Ar Kung Fu and several others -
nice setup too, BTW. :) 

I have Pooyan, Tutankham, Time Pilot, Yie Ar Kung Fu, and at least 2
other early Konami boards that I can beta test the score saves on if
you need anyone..


Steve P.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:53:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Hey Dave,

I've got bootleg Scramble board. Send me your address and she's yours!

Matt

"D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote
> Scramble is on my list, I dont' have a board so it hasn't worked it's
> way to the top yet. But I figure by running the address lines
> throught the cpld the list of games that will run on it is too big for
> me to type here. :)  And maybe if I get created with the sound, I may
> have to go with the compact flash card interface I have running instead
> of eproms.
>
> Dave
>
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:05:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Matt Osborn <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
: With the score saves I wrote that use the test ROM socket (like Time Pilot, Gyruss, etc.) there's plenty of space to write a
: plethora of advanced diagnostics. Not hard to do either... just time consuming. And how much fun is that? Is that time well
: spent? I think not.

Go write the pandora's palace saves, matty!

....or are you just afraid to see 'MCS' all over one of your games :) 


--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:05:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote
> Go write the pandora's palace saves, matty!
>
> ...or are you just afraid to see 'MCS' all over one of your games :) 

Are you good at PP? I started writing that score save almost two
years ago now... not sure why I shelved it... probably just priorities.
I think it's another pain-in-butt shared memory deal like TP84.
I've got PP running in my gameroom right now, so I'm tempted
to go back and revisit it....
But I've got at least three almost-complete saves I should finish
up before I move on to PP: Pooyan, Nova 2001, and Turtles.
Turtles would be done already if my board hadn't died!!!
Quite a few people have requested the early Stern games.
They're pretty easy to do (as are most early 80's games that
aren't running on poorly designed hardware), but I don't personally
own many of them, so there's not a lot of motivation there....
Those boards are plagued with bad ROM sockets, so a plug-in
CPU daughtercard approach is attractive (although not all boards
have socketed CPUs...). But if you're gonna go that route you
might as well think about doing a multigame.... Sounds like a
good project for a grad student with too much free time. ;-)
Or maybe if Widel doesn't get a job soon....

Matt

P.S. I don't think I'll ever get MCS off of Pengo....
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Yeah, but that's like playing Konami Classics on Playstation... not quite
the same as the real thing. I'd probably buy one anyway if they weren't
so expensive. Looks like a nice interface. I already own all the games
in that collection, so it's tough to justify such a purchase.

I own two good Pooyan boards now, so the only testers I need are the
ones that can come over and play! ;-) Tutankham is on hold indefinately...
there's something funky about the hardware I'm not getting. It's probably
a good candidate for Widel's approach.

Matt
http://www.scoresaves.info

"Steve Prendergast" <stevenprendergast@gmail.com> wrote
> Konami already has a Multi-game out (albiet it was a limited Japan only
> release on the System 573 platform) for the early stuff that included
> Pooyan, Scramble, Circus Charlie, Yie Ar Kung Fu and several others -
> nice setup too, BTW. :) 
>
> I have Pooyan, Tutankham, Time Pilot, Yie Ar Kung Fu, and at least 2
> other early Konami boards that I can beta test the score saves on if
> you need anyone..
>
>
> Steve P.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:39:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Matt Osborn <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
: "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote
:> Go write the pandora's palace saves, matty!
:>
:> ...or are you just afraid to see 'MCS' all over one of your games :) 
:
: Are you good at PP?

Better than you ;) 

: I started writing that score save almost two
: years ago now... not sure why I shelved it... probably just priorities.
: I think it's another pain-in-butt shared memory deal like TP84.
: I've got PP running in my gameroom right now, so I'm tempted
: to go back and revisit it....
: But I've got at least three almost-complete saves I should finish
: up before I move on to PP: Pooyan, Nova 2001, and Turtles.
: Turtles would be done already if my board hadn't died!!!

I've got a Turtles... and a Turpin... and a 600...
I should make a multigame :) 

: Quite a few people have requested the early Stern games.
: They're pretty easy to do (as are most early 80's games that
: aren't running on poorly designed hardware), but I don't personally
: own many of them, so there's not a lot of motivation there....
: Those boards are plagued with bad ROM sockets, so a plug-in
: CPU daughtercard approach is attractive (although not all boards
: have socketed CPUs...). But if you're gonna go that route you
: might as well think about doing a multigame.... Sounds like a
: good project for a grad student with too much free time. ;-)

No such thing as a grad student with too much free time :) 

: Or maybe if Widel doesn't get a job soon....
:
: Matt
:
: P.S. I don't think I'll ever get MCS off of Pengo....

....and I didn't even play well that game ;) 

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:52:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"Steve Prendergast" <stevenprendergast@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1125437422.595034.84300@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Konami already has a Multi-game out (albiet it was a limited Japan only
> release on the System 573 platform) for the early stuff that included
> Pooyan, Scramble, Circus Charlie, Yie Ar Kung Fu and several others -
> nice setup too, BTW. :) 
>

I bought one of these off of eBay, but haven't hooked it up yet. Does it
have high score save?

Dane.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 3:26:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Why don't you just plug it in and let us know? :) 
Seems kinda silly not to test something that expensive upon arrival....

Matt

"Dane L. Galden" wrote
> "Steve Prendergast" <stevenprendergast@gmail.com> wrote
>> Konami already has a Multi-game out (albiet it was a limited Japan only
>> release on the System 573 platform) for the early stuff that included
>> Pooyan, Scramble, Circus Charlie, Yie Ar Kung Fu and several others -
>> nice setup too, BTW. :) 
>>
>
> I bought one of these off of eBay, but haven't hooked it up yet. Does it
> have high score save?
>
> Dane.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 7:57:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:1125501956.252122@hqnntp01.autodesk.com...
> Why don't you just plug it in and let us know? :) 
> Seems kinda silly not to test something that expensive upon arrival....
>
> Matt
>

Because I don't have the time or space for it right now, nor the correct
setup. I just bought it because I knew they were hard to find, and since I
couldn't send it back to Japan anyway I figured there was no rush to test
it.

Dane.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 7:57:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote
> "Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote
>> Why don't you just plug it in and let us know? :) 
>> Seems kinda silly not to test something that expensive upon arrival....
>>
>> Matt
>>
>
> Because I don't have the time or space for it right now, nor the correct
> setup. I just bought it because I knew they were hard to find, and since I
> couldn't send it back to Japan anyway I figured there was no rush to test
> it.
>
> Dane.

Are you telling me you don't have a JAMMA machine you can just pop
the thing in to test? I'd have that puppy unpacked and plugged-in within
minutes of getting it.... it would drive me insane not to.
Wouldn't you like to know if it's DOA so you could let the seller know?
And you don't need to send it back... just reverse the CC payment.

And BTW, they're not hard to find, just expensive to buy.

Matt
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 9:46:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I'm predicting they will become quite common and the price will drop
dramatically.

Dave
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 12:06:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I got it 'cause I've wanted it since I first saw it a few years back. I
plugged it in to verify that it works but have not actually played anything
on it since my JAMMA cabinet isn't at my house.

I do have a number of the original PCBs for good measure but it sure is nice
to have them all available in one place. :) 

For the record, I surf several Japanese sites on a daily basis and have seen
exactly 2 of the 80s Arcade Gallery board sets come up for sale in the past
2 or so years. I've seen 4 Dig Dug II boards in the same period of time...
:) 

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

"Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:1125440181.43814@hqnntp01.autodesk.com...
> Yeah, but that's like playing Konami Classics on Playstation... not quite
> the same as the real thing. I'd probably buy one anyway if they weren't
> so expensive. Looks like a nice interface. I already own all the games
> in that collection, so it's tough to justify such a purchase.
>
> I own two good Pooyan boards now, so the only testers I need are the
> ones that can come over and play! ;-) Tutankham is on hold
> indefinately...
> there's something funky about the hardware I'm not getting. It's probably
> a good candidate for Widel's approach.
>
> Matt
> http://www.scoresaves.info
>
> "Steve Prendergast" <stevenprendergast@gmail.com> wrote
>> Konami already has a Multi-game out (albiet it was a limited Japan only
>> release on the System 573 platform) for the early stuff that included
>> Pooyan, Scramble, Circus Charlie, Yie Ar Kung Fu and several others -
>> nice setup too, BTW. :) 
>>
>> I have Pooyan, Tutankham, Time Pilot, Yie Ar Kung Fu, and at least 2
>> other early Konami boards that I can beta test the score saves on if
>> you need anyone..
>>
>>
>> Steve P.
>
>
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:16:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Well, I didn't know that they weren't hard to find. That's why I bought it.
I only have rare/hard-to-find/collectible games in my collection at the
moment (and older black and white stuff). Since I am limited in space and
cash, I figured I can always get the common/fun games and jamma stuff later.
Thus, I have games like Computer Space in my collection, but no Pac Man;
Radar Scope cockpit, but no Missile Command; Dragon's Lair, but no jamma
stuff. I'm hoping to get a bigger house next year and rectify the situation.
:) 


Dane.



"Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:1125511270.962031@hqnntp01.autodesk.com...
> "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote
> > "Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote
> >> Why don't you just plug it in and let us know? :) 
> >> Seems kinda silly not to test something that expensive upon arrival....
> >>
> >> Matt
> >>
> >
> > Because I don't have the time or space for it right now, nor the correct
> > setup. I just bought it because I knew they were hard to find, and
since I
> > couldn't send it back to Japan anyway I figured there was no rush to
test
> > it.
> >
> > Dane.
>
> Are you telling me you don't have a JAMMA machine you can just pop
> the thing in to test? I'd have that puppy unpacked and plugged-in within
> minutes of getting it.... it would drive me insane not to.
> Wouldn't you like to know if it's DOA so you could let the seller know?
> And you don't need to send it back... just reverse the CC payment.
>
> And BTW, they're not hard to find, just expensive to buy.
>
> Matt
>
>
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 7:48:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote
> For the record, I surf several Japanese sites on a daily basis and have seen
> exactly 2 of the 80s Arcade Gallery board sets come up for sale in the past
> 2 or so years. I've seen 4 Dig Dug II boards in the same period of time...
> :) 

Eh? Coinopexpress has kept this on their stocklist for years:

http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/pcb/Konami_8...

Back in 2002 their price was $266 (it's $340 now).

There have been quite a few of these on eBay as well. For a while there was
a Japanese guy putting them up one after the other until interest waned....
John Weaver had a whole slew of these back in 2000 and offered them for
sale on the newgroup for at least a couple years until he ran out.
So I don't see how these could be considered rare...
Overpriced, but not difficult to obtain.
These are just the coin-op version of a Playstation, just like the Namco System 11
(they used ROM daughtercards instead of CD-ROM). But even the more difficult
to find Sys 11 titles don't fetch much more than $100 now. I have a feeling we'll
see a similar price trend with the Konami System 573 games.

Matt
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 7:48:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Coinopexpress "lists" lots of boards that they don't even have in stock.
Case in point is the Crazy Climber 2 PCB that they currently "list". I
emailed stating that I would take it - tell me the total cost and how to
pay - got an email back stating that they were checking with thier supplier
and never heard a peep back from them. I bought one myself out of Japan and
it came with the original manual and insert card for a tick cheaper than
they were going to sell just the PCB to me for.

I am aware of Weavers sales in the past - he still has a site that shows the
Konami board but never replies to emails.

I think the guy in Japan you are referring to is "USC" something or other -
he buys off of the Japan sites and sells to Ebay and also buys off of Ebay
and sells in Japan. His username is the same on the Japan sites as well as
Ebay.

One of the Konami boards showed up on Ebay in the past year (that I am aware
of) and then there are the couple that I saw for sale in Japan.

For the record, I never said these were "rare" - I specificly stated that it
was a "limited" Japan only release. Since the bulk of these were sold in
Japan, that is where you *should* find these in greater numbers, right? Not
the case - they are "uncommon" everywhere (at least in my journeys).

I also have the PS1 version. Still like having the 573 setup despite the
cost involved.

YMMV.

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

"Matt Osborn" <osborn@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:1SuRe.5290$Re1.1668@trndny04...
> "Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote
>> For the record, I surf several Japanese sites on a daily basis and have
>> seen
>> exactly 2 of the 80s Arcade Gallery board sets come up for sale in the
>> past
>> 2 or so years. I've seen 4 Dig Dug II boards in the same period of
>> time...
>> :) 
>
> Eh? Coinopexpress has kept this on their stocklist for years:
>
> http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/pcb/Konami_8...
>
> Back in 2002 their price was $266 (it's $340 now).
>
> There have been quite a few of these on eBay as well. For a while there
> was
> a Japanese guy putting them up one after the other until interest
> waned....
> John Weaver had a whole slew of these back in 2000 and offered them for
> sale on the newgroup for at least a couple years until he ran out.
> So I don't see how these could be considered rare...
> Overpriced, but not difficult to obtain.
> These are just the coin-op version of a Playstation, just like the Namco
> System 11
> (they used ROM daughtercards instead of CD-ROM). But even the more
> difficult
> to find Sys 11 titles don't fetch much more than $100 now. I have a
> feeling we'll
> see a similar price trend with the Konami System 573 games.
>
> Matt
>
>
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 7:48:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6180...

This was the only _recent_ Ebay listing that I was aware of - add $100 for
shipping, BTW. I had been eyeing CC2 boards and the Konami set for well
over a year and I would be shocked if I missed any as they are, well, were
on my daily search checkoff list. :) 

BTW: I have a Taito G-Net Space Invaders Anniversary set coming in from
Japan as well - this does _not_ have the shitty version of Qix on it, so
should be interesting. :) 

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:20:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

lets keep the thread going. What the hell huh? Missile Command Kit
still wanted.

Thanks....
john
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 7:39:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

If we keep it alive will you promise not to start another? ;-)

Matt

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote
> lets keep the thread going. What the hell huh? Missile Command Kit
> still wanted.
>
> Thanks....
> john
>
!