R520 will hit retail on launch!

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
It's hard to tell if we can really expect ATI to pull off what nVidia had. I believe they will atleast attempt to do a paperlaunch/immediate release, but we'll have to wait and hope. Once ATI is ready to launch the r520, they really need to be able to make sure it becomes widespread instantly. Can they pull it off...

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
I wouldnt call them paper launches but hey.

Some people are like slinkies....
Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
I didnt have trouble getting either after one month, of course the prices were fvcked but they were available so I got a x800 pro and turned it into a x800xt (take that ATI!)

I'd say the x700 was more of a paper launch. The nv30 was also a paper launch.

Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Action_Man on 07/14/05 02:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pauldh

Illustrious
Well, they were not available upon release, and supply was short for months. I was one of countless to be have a preorder or two cancelled after months of waiting.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Yeah... X800 Pro... modded into XT doesn't really count. Supply shortage lasted for months at least 4, x800xt didn't come out in good quantities until x850xt was released. 6800ultra's price didn't become acceptable until SLI was everywhere.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Well around here I could get a x800xt pe one month after launch it was just damn expensive, around $1200 aus and 6800 ultras were around 1400. So alot of people bought pros which went for 700 to 800 and turned them into xt pes or gts which were 800 odd and overclocked them.

I agree they werent in good quantities like the previous generation but they were around and the prices werent accpetable for quite some time.

Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Well around here I could get a x800xt pe one month after launch it was just damn expensive, around $1200 aus and 6800 ultras were around 1400.
If you can't buy them for near or at MSRP in any number, then it's a paper launch. Especially if that's the case in the US which should be the litmus test for a Paper launch of companies with offices in the US and Canada.

If you had enough money you could probably get an R520 right now, but it'd be more than $1200 Ozzy-Bucks, it'd have to be enough to have people break NDAs, and you could probably buy some off of reviewers after the first week of initially launch for some ungodly sum as well (to cover any return policy from ATi), but that wouldn't count towards 'not a paper launch' either.

In order to not be a paper launch they have to be in sufficient quantitiy and at or near MSRP. Still on the fence as to where the G70 fits/qualifies, but it's a better strategy of getting them to the early adopters than simply trying to file BestBuy shelves.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: