Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I can’t run System Restore

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:38:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Following an installation & uninstallation of Norton Internet Security
2005, my system now has a number of running errors...

Internet Explorer produces blank plages on certain websites;
Certain link buttons don’t work in IE, eg. delete button does not work
when on Yahoo mail web page!;
When Yahoo Messenger instant message window opened, only the letter P
appears in the top window where incoming and outgoing text should
appear;

Assuming this was a problem caused by the installation of Norton, I
attempted a system restore. When I clicked on
Startup/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore, the egg-timer
appeared for a short time and then nothing. When I clicked on it
again, I got a blank window with System Restore in the title bar...

I tried going into Safe Mode and booting to last known good
configuration, but this didn’t improve anything. I don’t have the XP
installation disk because this was a system bought from a local
retailer with everything installed.

Any suggestions anybody?

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-run-System-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1733318

More about : run system restore

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:50:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Try running System Restore in Safe Mode. Or at the command prompt.
All About System Restore in WinXP.
http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

ManchesterPete wrote:
> Following an installation & uninstallation of Norton
> Internet Security 2005, my system now has a number of
> running errors...
>
> Internet Explorer produces blank plages on certain
> websites;
> Certain link buttons don’t work in IE, eg. delete button
> does not work when on Yahoo mail web page!;
> When Yahoo Messenger instant message window opened, only
> the letter P appears in the top window where incoming and
> outgoing text should appear;
>
> Assuming this was a problem caused by the installation of
> Norton, I attempted a system restore. When I clicked on
> Startup/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore, the
> egg-timer appeared for a short time and then nothing.
> When I clicked on it again, I got a blank window with
> System Restore in the title bar...
>
> I tried going into Safe Mode and booting to last known
> good configuration, but this didn’t improve anything. I
> don’t have the XP installation disk because this was a
> system bought from a local retailer with everything
> installed.
>
> Any suggestions anybody?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:27:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try running System Restore in Safe Mode. Or at the command prompt.
> All About System Restore in WinXP.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> ManchesterPete wrote:
> > Following an installation & uninstallation of Norton
> > Internet Security 2005, my system now has a number of
> > running errors...
> >
> > Internet Explorer produces blank plages on certain
> > websites;
> > Certain link buttons don’t work in IE, eg. delete button
> > does not work when on Yahoo mail web page!;
> > When Yahoo Messenger instant message window opened, only
> > the letter P appears in the top window where incoming and
> > outgoing text should appear;
> >
> > Assuming this was a problem caused by the installation of
> > Norton, I attempted a system restore. When I clicked on
> > Startup/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore, the
> > egg-timer appeared for a short time and then nothing.
> > When I clicked on it again, I got a blank window with
> > System Restore in the title bar...
> >
> > I tried going into Safe Mode and booting to last known
> > good configuration, but this didn’t improve anything. I
> > don’t have the XP installation disk because this was a
> > system bought from a local retailer with everything
> > installed.
> >
> > Any suggestions anybody?
>
>
>

I have the exact same problem with my computer. Does anybody have any other
suggestions on how to fix it? I am about to try a Repair Installation of XP
off the CD, but would love a fix other than this because of the risk. System
Restore does not work in regular or Safe Mode. Also the Search and User
Accounts windows come up blank. Windows Media Player doesn't wotk either,
but I'm not sure it is related.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:01:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Christian,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

Christian wrote:
> I have the exact same problem with my computer. Does
> anybody have any other suggestions on how to fix it? I
> am about to try a Repair Installation of XP off the CD,
> but would love a fix other than this because of the risk.
> System Restore does not work in regular or Safe Mode.
> Also the Search and User Accounts windows come up blank.
> Windows Media Player doesn't wotk either, but I'm not
> sure it is related.
!