I can’t run System Restore

Following an installation & uninstallation of Norton Internet Security
2005, my system now has a number of running errors...

Internet Explorer produces blank plages on certain websites;
Certain link buttons don’t work in IE, eg. delete button does not work
when on Yahoo mail web page!;
When Yahoo Messenger instant message window opened, only the letter P
appears in the top window where incoming and outgoing text should
appear;

Assuming this was a problem caused by the installation of Norton, I
attempted a system restore. When I clicked on
Startup/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore, the egg-timer
appeared for a short time and then nothing. When I clicked on it
again, I got a blank window with System Restore in the title bar...

I tried going into Safe Mode and booting to last known good
configuration, but this didn’t improve anything. I don’t have the XP
installation disk because this was a system bought from a local
retailer with everything installed.

Any suggestions anybody?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-run-System-Restore-ftopict548033.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1733318
3 answers Last reply
More about system restore

    Hi,

    Try running System Restore in Safe Mode. Or at the command prompt.
    All About System Restore in WinXP.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Try running System Restore in Safe Mode. Or at the command prompt.
    > All About System Restore in WinXP.
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > ManchesterPete wrote:
    > > Following an installation & uninstallation of Norton
    > > Internet Security 2005, my system now has a number of
    > > running errors...
    > >
    > > Internet Explorer produces blank plages on certain
    > > websites;
    > > Certain link buttons don’t work in IE, eg. delete button
    > > does not work when on Yahoo mail web page!;
    > > When Yahoo Messenger instant message window opened, only
    > > the letter P appears in the top window where incoming and
    > > outgoing text should appear;
    > >
    > > Assuming this was a problem caused by the installation of
    > > Norton, I attempted a system restore. When I clicked on
    > > Startup/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore, the
    > > egg-timer appeared for a short time and then nothing.
    > > When I clicked on it again, I got a blank window with
    > > System Restore in the title bar...
    > >
    > > I tried going into Safe Mode and booting to last known
    > > good configuration, but this didn’t improve anything. I
    > > don’t have the XP installation disk because this was a
    > > system bought from a local retailer with everything
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions anybody?

    I have the exact same problem with my computer. Does anybody have any other
    suggestions on how to fix it? I am about to try a Repair Installation of XP
    off the CD, but would love a fix other than this because of the risk. System
    Restore does not work in regular or Safe Mode. Also the Search and User
    Accounts windows come up blank. Windows Media Player doesn't wotk either,
    but I'm not sure it is related.

    Hi Christian,

    Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

    Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    Click on System in the left pane.
    Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
    the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
    the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
    information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
    two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

    --

    Christian wrote:
    > I have the exact same problem with my computer. Does
    > anybody have any other suggestions on how to fix it? I
    > am about to try a Repair Installation of XP off the CD,
    > but would love a fix other than this because of the risk.
    > System Restore does not work in regular or Safe Mode.
    > Also the Search and User Accounts windows come up blank.
    > Windows Media Player doesn't wotk either, but I'm not
    > sure it is related.

Internet Explorer System Restore Windows XP