PCIe 3.0 Protocol Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep! Better do it well! Year 2010 seems to be interesting. We will see PCI-e 3.0, Win7 sp1, maybe finally the n version of wireles lan..., second genereation of DX11 cards, usb3. But nothing that you have to wait.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ya prolly good they are taking their time and not rushing it. This sounds like a responsible move on their part...quality assurance seems to be dead these days.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
PCIe 3.0
SATA 6.0 Gbps
USB 3.0

enough reasons for me to wait before building my i7...
hope prices will go down while waiting.

on a second thought... maybe i'll buy and i7 then upgrade my motherboard later.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
The best part about PCIe 3.0 is how much more you'll be able to do with just ONE PCIe lane. Think embedded systems, laptops, etc. where space is a premium. Fewer lanes necessary to do a job means fewer pins on chips, which makes the chips smaller, fewer traces on the motherboard, etc. And the power-savings they mention with PCIe 3.0 are obviously an advantage there as well.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]PCIe 3.0SATA 6.0 GbpsUSB 3.0enough reasons for me to wait before building my i7...hope prices will go down while waiting.on a second thought... maybe i'll buy and i7 then upgrade my motherboard later.[/citation]
The computer industry is such a pain, there is always something better around the corner it's all a matter of how much better.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
New PCI-E standard, new USB standard, new SATA standard...New computer with none of these is just 7 days old. Ah, the computer industry.

G

This is probably a bit of a golden age of computing, with the semiconductor companies expressing doubts about being able to get below 20nm without quantum effects screwing it up, this progress may hit a wall soon... Although when I upgrade to my Phenom III 1060 BE 3.4ghz 12-core, socket AM4+, 22nm codename: "pwnville", I may finally have a truly future-proof computer...

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Its_all_about_PhenomIII[/nom]This is probably a bit of a golden age of computing, with the semiconductor companies expressing doubts about being able to get below 20nm without quantum effects screwing it up, this progress may hit a wall soon... Although when I upgrade to my Phenom III 1060 BE 3.4ghz 12-core, socket AM4+, 22nm codename: "pwnville", I may finally have a truly future-proof computer...[/citation]

And then optical circuits would be right around the corner :p

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Very minor correction: Since the spec is actually in GT/s (gigatransfers/second) and transfers are metric (not binary), the speed (presuming saturation of all 32 lanes) would therefore be 31.25 GT/s.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]PCIe 3.0SATA 6.0 GbpsUSB 3.0enough reasons for me to wait before building my i7...hope prices will go down while waiting.on a second thought... maybe i'll buy and i7 then upgrade my motherboard later.[/citation]

if you're going to wait and want intel they have an i9, specs are floating around the interwebs somwhere.

I remember reading about pci-e before it even came out, it was the first true parallelism on home pc's other than raid for your hdd's. I was pumped about it then, and it's seemed to revolutionize graphics power vs. dollars recently. Take that into consideration along with the fact that graphics cards on the market now kick the crap out of most of the games on the market and for around 100 bucks you can make the assumption that pci-e 3.0 isn't needed quite yet.
having said all of that i'd like to upgrade my machine now, but i think i might end up waiting for usb 3.0, sataIII and pci-e 3.0 since they all seem to be hitting the market around the same time time period. :p

I HATE WAITING!

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
[citation][nom]cdillon[/nom]The best part about PCIe 3.0 is how much more you'll be able to do with just ONE PCIe lane. Think embedded systems, laptops, etc. where space is a premium. Fewer lanes necessary to do a job means fewer pins on chips, which makes the chips smaller, fewer traces on the motherboard, etc. And the power-savings they mention with PCIe 3.0 are obviously an advantage there as well.[/citation]

Exactly! Thanks for saving me some typing :)

I just wish that PCI hardware would be dead by than. I'm sick and tired of roaming through dozens of cards that are NOT PCIe (in any version) just to find an odd one from time to time that IS PCIe-based.

Graphics cards are only exceptions, but everything else is still mostly on old PCI bus.

To make it even worse, here are some numbers from local shopping-search which specializes in computer equipment:
- one Gbit ethernet card
- one eSATA controller (one port!!)
.. and I'm already on 60+$ hardware.

So while PCIe 3.0 is nothing but positive, never mind when it comes, if 95% of all add-in boards in 2010 will still be PCI cards - PCIe 3.0 won't be important :(

[citation][nom]T3kl0rD[/nom]They should take their time to do it right since 2.0 is nowhere close to saturation.[/citation]

Even 1.1 is not saturated by a dual GPU solution such as a GTX295 or even a HD4890. They move so fast.

When PCIe 1.0 came out, AGP was still not fully tapped.

I guess that maybe it will be able to provide more full speed lanes or possibly increase bandwidth and make way for 3 GPUs per PCB......

CHRISTLUBAS

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]I think that it will be a while before network controllers and such need more than 4x PCI-E 2.0 lanes. I suppose it may make sense on the server side of things though.[/citation]
How bout 6 Core Processors(mainstream)and SSDs lots and I5

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
There's never a point in waiting to build a computer. Just go spend however much you're willing to spend when you're willing to spend it. There's always something better comming out soon.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]LuxZg[/nom]...
I just wish that PCI hardware would be dead by than. I'm sick and tired of roaming through dozens of cards that are NOT PCIe (in any version) just to find an odd one from time to time that IS PCIe-based.Graphics cards are only exceptions, but everything else is still mostly on old PCI bus.To make it even worse, here are some numbers from local shopping-search which specializes in computer equipment:- one Gbit ethernet card- one eSATA controller (one port!!).. and I'm already on 60+$ hardware.So while PCIe 3.0 is nothing but positive, never mind when it comes, if 95% of all add-in boards in 2010 will still be PCI cards - PCIe 3.0 won't be important[/citation][citation]

PCIe is a great advance, but most peripherals do not need the extra speed it provides. I think that is why there are not many peripherals that have converted to PCIe, not to mention that there are development and commercialization costs that are likely not justified since the peripheral would not benefit from the increased speed of the PCIe bus.

[nom]cdillon[/nom]The best part about PCIe 3.0 is how much more you'll be able to do with just ONE PCIe lane. Think embedded systems, laptops, etc. where space is a premium. Fewer lanes necessary to do a job means fewer pins on chips, which makes the chips smaller, fewer traces on the motherboard, etc. And the power-savings they mention with PCIe 3.0 are obviously an advantage there as well.[/citation]

Yes, laptops and embedded systems could benefit from the increased throughput of a single-lane 3.0 PCIe spec. These are places where it might make a difference, especially with graphics.

To my point above, though, perhaps other peripherals are not available due to an "anomaly" ;) in the thought process leading up to the actual peripheral. Many companies do things just because they can, not because they have a good reason to. In the case of peripherals that do not need the extra speed this might be a good thing that is keeping costs down for the time being, as well as such peripherals simply might not benefit from the speed.

When PCI was new, people scoffed at putting a sound card on the PCI bus simply because sound cards do not need the speed that the PCI bus affords. It took ISA quite a bit of time to completely disappear from the market. Eventually, sound cards converted to PCI; I imagine that that conversion was more likely driven by the pending death of the ISA bus rather than a sound card's need, or lack of need, of the speed of the PCI bus. Eventually, I imagine that PCI will also disappear from the market. As that time draws nearer, peripherals that do not need PCIe's increased speed will be forced to convert to PCIe. By then, however, the next advance will be on the market. :0

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
PCIe is not useful for low power systems (embedded, Soc, etc.) - SerDes is burning a lot of power unnecessarily...
OTOH, it's useful for PCB trace/pin number reduction, where you can afford the extra power consumption.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
lol, is it backwards compatible with PCIe 1.1? (sorry, I have an 8600GT lying around waiting to be my PhysX card and I don't wanna trash it away)
Otherwise I have a 9500GT in my comp right now :p (which is PCIe 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.