PCI to AGP Adapter

crewkid

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I just recently purchsed a Dell Dimension 3000 and new ATI Radeon 800XL with 256 RAM. The thing is that the new computer comes with no AGP slot. I've been looking for a good PCI to AGP adapter but I've found no good information regarding them. Does anybody have any suggestions about how well they work, if the speed of my card will be decreased using them, any information possible would be a great help, thanks!

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
no such thing as a pci>agp adapter that i know of, ur computer might have a pci-e or pci express slot.

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

Assuming you mean PCI express - There is a converter that has been posted here, which only works with a very limited amount of cards - and it is not even in production yet.

I'd either send back / ebay your card and buy a PCI express card.

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
You're outta luck, kid.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

G

And if a Agp to PCi did exist it would be utterely slow.
Some motherboard makers try to include PCI-ex and AGp on the same board. (before ULI) they all ran the agp on the PCI bus and it had a huge performance impact!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

AGP>PCIe exists but no PCIe>AGP. So he's out of luck.
His new computer HAS a PCIe slot so he's looking for a an AGP to PCIe adapter, which exist, and thus he might have had been able to use it, however it does not support many cards, and as has been mentioned it's been since since announcement so it's unknown really how effective it is beyond the PR.

You are correct though the inverse is not available, although it would be technically 'possible' with the HSI chip used in the NV4x series.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

G

Oh didnt get it had PCIe...I tought dell was the kind of compagny that sels computer with not PCIe 16x and no AGP

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Um, knowing Dell a low end computer wouldn't have either, just some PCI slots and integrated graphics on a really low end motherboard...

In which case, an X800 XL would be extremely bottlenecked anyway.