Windows XP Professional Install Disk

Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Last night I was updating my Windows XP Professional on my other computer but
I had to stop Cancel it like half way through. When I started up my computer
this morning, it had a currupted driver file on it, and it would not let me
do anything besides restart with a boot-up disk. I don't have the Install
Disk (parents lost it) but I do however have Windows XP Professional
installed on this computer. Is there any way I could maybe burn the Windows
XP Professional from this computer onto a CD and install it on my other
computer? Time is definately an issue here. Thanks :D

No, you'll have to order a replacement CD. Also, do you have another
Windows XP license? You cannot use the same license on two different
computers.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Erik" wrote:

| Last night I was updating my Windows XP Professional on my other computer but
| I had to stop Cancel it like half way through. When I started up my computer
| this morning, it had a currupted driver file on it, and it would not let me
| do anything besides restart with a boot-up disk. I don't have the Install
| Disk (parents lost it) but I do however have Windows XP Professional
| installed on this computer. Is there any way I could maybe burn the Windows
| XP Professional from this computer onto a CD and install it on my other
| computer? Time is definately an issue here. Thanks :D

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:8EC3329B-52B7-436C-BEB7-255F6512826A@microsoft.com,
Erik <Erik@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Last night I was updating my Windows XP Professional on my other
> computer but I had to stop Cancel it like half way through. When I
> started up my computer this morning, it had a currupted driver file
> on it, and it would not let me do anything besides restart with a
> boot-up disk. I don't have the Install Disk (parents lost it) but I
> do however have Windows XP Professional installed on this computer.
> Is there any way I could maybe burn the Windows XP Professional from
> this computer onto a CD and install it on my other computer? Time is
> definately an issue here. Thanks :D

Hmm... You probably can't get the files that are on there to burn and make
a CD. Someone once had a method for doing so with ME or 98 if I recall but
I've never seen anything that will do this with XP. While you say time is of
the essense I'm afraid this is the only resolution that I'm aware of right
at the moment:

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;326246

On the other hand if you can give us more information concerning your
current situation someone may no how to get you back into the OS without any
further problems. You're saying that it's asking for a disk on boot? That's
something that it really shouldn't do. Do you have a disk in the drive
already? Is it not booting to the HDD? As I mentioned, if you tell us what
the underlying problem is (seeing as the issue you presented isn't workable
and not quick) than you might find someone who can help you.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

There is Carey and more misguided advice!!
You may take off Windows XP from 1 computer and reinstall it on another one
if it is a retail (paid for ) version.
As long as it is only installed on one computer.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:uW%23cPOfdFHA.2776@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> No, you'll have to order a replacement CD. Also, do you have another
> Windows XP license? You cannot use the same license on two different
> computers.
>
> How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
> ;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Erik" wrote:
>
> | Last night I was updating my Windows XP Professional on my other computer but
> | I had to stop Cancel it like half way through. When I started up my computer
> | this morning, it had a currupted driver file on it, and it would not let me
> | do anything besides restart with a boot-up disk. I don't have the Install
> | Disk (parents lost it) but I do however have Windows XP Professional
> | installed on this computer. Is there any way I could maybe burn the Windows
> | XP Professional from this computer onto a CD and install it on my other
> | computer? Time is definately an issue here. Thanks :D

Hey Jack, it looks like you're the one with a reading problem....

Have a nice day,

DM

"Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> bumbled in message...