Motorola v400

Last response: in Network Providers
February 23, 2005 2:35:39 AM

Is the Motorola v400 a good/decent phone? For those of you who have this
phone, what are your experiences (good/bad)?

More about : motorola v400

February 26, 2005 7:26:24 AM

I have one and quite like it. I do think that it is hard to navigate
through all the menus. I do agree about the screen outside.
I would buy it again.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:07:26 AM

In article <4uRTd.511246$6l.254082@pd7tw2no>, bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca
says...
> Let me disagree. It is unfair to compare MiKE phones to others. MiKE
> phones are more expensive for a reason.

Interesting. I'd like to forget about the V400 for a minute and explore
this. Why do you say it is unfair to compare the performance of a Mike
phone to a Fido phone?
March 1, 2005 10:09:56 AM

> > Let me disagree. It is unfair to compare MiKE phones to others. MiKE
> > phones are more expensive for a reason.
>
> Interesting. I'd like to forget about the V400 for a minute and explore
> this. Why do you say it is unfair to compare the performance of a Mike
> phone to a Fido phone?

It is not necessarily unfair, but they do service different market segments.
FIDO is targeted towards mass consumers whereas Mike is specifically
targetted towards field business users (trades, fleets, etc..). The rate
structures and services are definitely different, as is the coverage
footprint. Push to talk on CDMA or GSM will never be iden, iden will never
be CDMA, GSM, or WCDMA, etc.. The V400 is more upscale looking, smaller, and
feature rich than most mike/iden handsets; but the iden unit will definitely
take allot more beating than the V400..

Depends on your needs.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 11:23:45 AM

Beverly Hills wrote:
> In article <4uRTd.511246$6l.254082@pd7tw2no>, bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca
> says...
>
>>Let me disagree. It is unfair to compare MiKE phones to others. MiKE
>>phones are more expensive for a reason.
>

> Interesting. I'd like to forget about the V400 for a minute and explore
> this. Why do you say it is unfair to compare the performance of a Mike
> phone to a Fido phone?

MiKE is marketed to business users for which the attractions of built-in
cameras, colour screens, games are secondary to the basic function of
being a phone. A phone that will survive being dropped and other
rigours of day to day use. A MiKE phone has a longer service life, I am
always amazed at the number of i500's still around.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:56:32 PM

Brendan McCullough wrote:
> MiKE is marketed to business users for which the attractions of built-in
> cameras, colour screens, games are secondary to the basic function of
> being a phone.

While on the surface, this is true, I could see many legitimate uses of
a camera in MIKE applications. Consider contractor on a construction
site that needs to show something to an architect back in head office.

In terms of colour screens, while one may not need colour, the fact
remains that TFT screens are usually more readable than normal B/W LCDs.
However, if you don't need graphics, then a LCD with large dots will be
quite readable.

> A phone that will survive being dropped and other
> rigours of day to day use. A MiKE phone has a longer service life, I am
> always amazed at the number of i500's still around.

There are two issues here. MIKE phones are not targetted for teenage
girls with fragile flashing lights. They are not built to be worn as jewelry.

The second issue is that due to the limited market for iden phones, they
just can't afford to bring out new models too often, so each model stays
on the market far longer and because there aren't new fancy advances
such as games, cameras etc, it doesn't obsolete older models very fast,
as is the case for consumer handsets.

Think about it. If Fido hadn't installed GPRS, MMS etc, a Nokia 6190
would still give you all that Fido can offer and would not be outdated.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:53:12 AM

In article <1109688252.a48baf246edbe2bef1f4e539dd608aa6@teranews>,
jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com says...
> Think about it. If Fido hadn't installed GPRS, MMS etc, a Nokia 6190
> would still give you all that Fido can offer and would not be outdated.

Absolutely right. And I liked my 6190 more than the POS V400 I have now.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 6:58:35 AM

> > V400 is more upscale looking, smaller, and
> > feature rich than most mike/iden handsets;
>
> Those features are pretty much useless. I think my i55sr handset is MUCH
> more useful than my v400. It beats it in every meaningful category.

For you :)
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 6:19:25 PM

I have a V400 since 4 months and I like it. Don't had any problem with it
and it worked very well. The receprion is excellent and it got 4 bands (all
gsm bands so you can use it almost everywhere in the world, try this with a
Mike!) I buy a cheap data cable to get rid of some flaws like low volume and
file transfers. I add some options to the menu like video, upload of java
from the PC and service mode. I can also add mp3 rings for free. These
need a little practice. You can do it whithout flashing the phone. They
call this seem editing.
Of course if you need a rough phone to works outdoors and push to talk
capability, this is not the phone for you but hey, this was easy to tell
even before look at it.

"Beverly Hills" <tw@t.us> a écrit dans le message de news:
MPG.1c8ef6581680522c98969a@nntp...
> In article <8zUUd.532218$Xk.453571@pd7tw3no>, malingerer@gmail.com
> says...
>> V400 is more upscale looking, smaller, and
>> feature rich than most mike/iden handsets;
>
> Those features are pretty much useless. I think my i55sr handset is MUCH
> more useful than my v400. It beats it in every meaningful category.
March 3, 2005 4:16:09 AM

Hey where did you go to learn about this stuff?
I have one also and am waiting for my cable to come in the mail.
THanks

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:19:25 GMT, "Blandine"
<blandinebigard@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a V400 since 4 months and I like it. Don't had any problem with it
>and it worked very well. The receprion is excellent and it got 4 bands (all
>gsm bands so you can use it almost everywhere in the world, try this with a
>Mike!) I buy a cheap data cable to get rid of some flaws like low volume and
>file transfers. I add some options to the menu like video, upload of java
>from the PC and service mode. I can also add mp3 rings for free. These
>need a little practice. You can do it whithout flashing the phone. They
>call this seem editing.
>Of course if you need a rough phone to works outdoors and push to talk
>capability, this is not the phone for you but hey, this was easy to tell
>even before look at it.
>

>"Beverly Hills" <tw@t.us> a écrit dans le message de news:
>MPG.1c8ef6581680522c98969a@nntp...
>> In article <8zUUd.532218$Xk.453571@pd7tw3no>, malingerer@gmail.com
>> says...
>>> V400 is more upscale looking, smaller, and
>>> feature rich than most mike/iden handsets;
>>
>> Those features are pretty much useless. I think my i55sr handset is MUCH
>> more useful than my v400. It beats it in every meaningful category.

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:14:00 AM

Beverly Hills wrote:
> In article <1109688252.a48baf246edbe2bef1f4e539dd608aa6@teranews>,
> jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com says...
>
>>Think about it. If Fido hadn't installed GPRS, MMS etc, a Nokia 6190
>>would still give you all that Fido can offer and would not be outdated.
>

> Absolutely right. And I liked my 6190 more than the POS V400 I have now.

What happened to your 6190?
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 6:59:17 AM

In article <422672EA.90902@example.net>, user@example.net says...
> What happened to your 6190?

It fell out of my pocket into a manhole during a sewer cleaning
operation. The Vactor operator blew it 250m down the street to the next
manhole and went in and retrieved it. The phone was destroyed, but the
SIM was fine. :)
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 9:24:41 PM

In article <BKTSd.49712$K45.1725612@wagner.videotron.net>,
"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com>
wrote:

> Is the Motorola v400 a good/decent phone? For those of you who have this
> phone, what are your experiences (good/bad)?

I'm very happy with it. But I think buying a v400 would be a waste of
money right now, considering you'll be tied to Canadian GSM networks.
That's Fido and Rogers only, isn't it?

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."

"Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
sdfisher-F1CDAF.10244003032005@news.vc.shawcable.net...
> In article <BKTSd.49712$K45.1725612@wagner.videotron.net>,
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Is the Motorola v400 a good/decent phone? For those of you who have this
>> phone, what are your experiences (good/bad)?
>
> I'm very happy with it. But I think buying a v400 would be a waste of
> money right now, considering you'll be tied to Canadian GSM networks.
> That's Fido and Rogers only, isn't it?
>
> --
> Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
> "Morituri Nolumus Mori."

I don't undestand this. Of course this is a GSM phone but, if you buy it
from fido, you just need to unlock it. You find someone on the net who will
unlock it for 20$ and you can use it anywhere in the world (minus japan and
korea) since it's a quad band phone. For the CDMA networks you can't buy a
phone other than the ones sold by the specific network anyway. For exemple
a bell phone will not work on telus even if the technology is the same. The
network won't allow a foriegn phone to be used.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:52:45 AM

Beverly Hills wrote:
> In article <422672EA.90902@example.net>, user@example.net says...
>
>>What happened to your 6190?
>

> It fell out of my pocket into a manhole during a sewer cleaning
> operation. The Vactor operator blew it 250m down the street to the next
> manhole and went in and retrieved it. The phone was destroyed, but the
> SIM was fine. :)

Too bad (for the phone).

Great that the SIM was fine though.

TH
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:56:10 AM

> For the CDMA networks you can't buy a
> phone other than the ones sold by the specific network anyway. For exemple
> a bell phone will not work on telus even if the technology is the same. The
> network won't allow a foriegn phone to be used.

That's not completely true. It's up to the network whether or not to
allow a "foreign" ESN into its database. I gave a phone from Cellular
One/Western Wireless CDMA (along with the Master Subsidy Lock number)
and SaskTel Mobility was more than happy to go in and manually program
it for use. However, because it is locked, SaskTel Mobility cannot
update the Preferred Roaming List, and other featuers (such as roaming
indicator) are not available.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:52:57 PM

Thanks to all the reviewers for their advice. I opted for the less expensive
and lower quality SonyEricsson phone that they were giving for free if I
locked into a 2 year deal. I then unlocked the SonyEricsson phone and sold
it to my friend for $75 which is how much he would have had to pay for a
locked phone without contract. With the Motorola v400, it is a quad-band GSM
phone so it is a world phone that functions anywhere in the world where
there is GSM coverage. You either need to get it unlocked and use the
country's carrier's GSM network's SIM card or you stick with Fido/Rogers and
pay a very large roaming/long distance bill. With the SonyEricsson phone
that they gave me, it is a dual band GSM phone that is limited to North
America (I think).

"Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In article <BKTSd.49712$K45.1725612@wagner.videotron.net>,
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Is the Motorola v400 a good/decent phone? For those of you who have this
> > phone, what are your experiences (good/bad)?
>
> I'm very happy with it. But I think buying a v400 would be a waste of
> money right now, considering you'll be tied to Canadian GSM networks.
> That's Fido and Rogers only, isn't it?
>
> --
> Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
> "Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:58:46 PM

In article <jI_Vd.34$ql5.15@charlie.risq.qc.ca>,
"Blandine" <blandinebigard@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't undestand this. Of course this is a GSM phone but, if you buy it
> from fido, you just need to unlock it. You find someone on the net who will

But what other networks in Canada will you be able to use it on?

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 6:06:40 PM

"Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
sdfisher-89E701.08585309032005@news.vc.shawcable.net...
> In article <jI_Vd.34$ql5.15@charlie.risq.qc.ca>,
> "Blandine" <blandinebigard@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't undestand this. Of course this is a GSM phone but, if you buy it
>> from fido, you just need to unlock it. You find someone on the net who
>> will
>
> But what other networks in Canada will you be able to use it on?
>
> --
> Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
> "Morituri Nolumus Mori."

??? Rogers

(these are the same company but, for now, sell their own plan and phone,
each locked to their specific "network")

And since this is a world quad band phone you could use/sell to any other
network, not just in Canada. Yes, there is Japan but I try to make it short.
!