Asus P4PE and 6800GT

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Well, The “old” high-end video cards have gotten about one-half of list price, so I bought a LeadTek Winfast A400 AGP Nvidia 6800GT card for my P4 3.2GHz system with 1 Gig of RAM to replace a Sapphire 9800Pro ATI card. I skipped the highest-end since my old Asus P4PE Intel 865-chipset board is not so hot at extracting the last bit of FPS out of “ultra” cards. My standard benchmarks went from 3Dmark2003 @ 5500 to 10641 at stock clock settings across the board. Not too bad for an older system, really. I figured that this is the last hurrah for AGP, and the card has analog and DVI monitor outputs, so that monitor upgrade, if needed, can still use the same system.

The decision was to build a new system or shell out $275.00 for a card. The card won. It’s still too difficult to figure a new system right now with so many changes. I’ll wait it out a few years so at least the “base” of the newer PC’s is decided. Then again, maybe it won’t be.

Questions;
1.0 The software has a hardware monitor with GPU core temp, ambient temp, fan speed, chip voltage, and memory voltage. But, I see only the first two are working. Why?
2.0 I have had some lock-ups in games (soldier of fortune II) and 3D mark 2003 benchmarks (monitor lost synch). I never had lock-ups with my 9800pro. On the 3D mark, the monitor image shifts to the Left on random tests, and sometimes the test crashes and indicates that the monitor lost synch. Any ideas? I’m using the newest Nvidia 77.72 WHQL drivers.

The LeadTek 6800GTcard is very quiet and graphically looks fine and the speed performance is great. But, it isn’t as good as my Sapphire ATI 9800pro in stability…yet. Funny, the ATI parts were supposed to be the unstable driver cards, not Nvidia. I selected the Nvidia part because on average, the card seemed to offer a better set of “general” specs. Shader 2.0, good speed, analog and DVI outputs, quiet, ETC. And, LeadTek is a good Nvidia partner so I know the card should be well made.

The trick to procrastination is to just not do it very long.

pauldh

Illustrious
How beefy is your power supply? What is the 12V rail specs listed on it? That GF6800GT needs more juice than a 9800 pro.

By the way, NV is not ahead of ATI in driver stability. Both have their own issues, but are on par IMO.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Very good point. I manually deleted all the deitris from my drive, but I didn't use Drive Cleaner, which I have (dumb me). I ran the program with "ATI" and sure enough, it rooted out a fair bit of old drivers.

Yes, this may indeed help stability of the Nvidia part. Time will tell if it improves the stability of the card. It's not "terrible", it just has had a few glitches that the ATI part didn't.

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
As big as it gets, almost. I have a PCpower and Cooling ATX510 watt power supply. They have a 600watt model, but I don't think I have a power supply issue. Good question, though.

pauldh

Illustrious
PCpower and Cooling ATX510 watt power supply -----> OK, check power supply off the list. You are fine!!! :smile:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 07/17/05 08:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I thought so too, but I looked at my power plug connected to my 6800GT and it was feeding two hard drives (ouch). So, I put it on a 12volt line that just has an 80mm fan. I also installed a side case 80mm fan plowing right on the card itself. The card runs around 48C in 2D and up to 62C in benchmark looping mode. I think the poor VPU was voltage rail starved at times. 10,000RPM SCSI drives were probably eating its juice.

So far it seems to be just fine. I’m still perplexed about the hardware monitor. It senses the VPU temp and ambient temperature and that’s it, but why? Any body else use the Winfox hardware monitor?

TRENDING THREADS