Blizzard's StarCraft II Delayed Big Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfreggie

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
That's ok Blizzard... take your time with it. After its realease, it's just going to sit on the store shelves as we punish you for not giving us LAN support!

erichlund

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Perhaps I'm not reading correctly, but isn't the first half of 2010 the period from January through June? A release in March would be, in my book, the first half of 2010. July 1 would fall under second half of 2010, if just barely.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@jfreggie
That's ok Blizzard... take your time with it. After its realease, it's just going to sit on the store shelves as we punish you for not giving us LAN support!

and trying to sell us a game in three instalments. Keep it Blizzard until I can pick it up with all the parts included.

sdcaliceli

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
For those of us that like to play custom maps on battle.net through Warcraft 3 got the shaft yesterday when this "update" went through. Now even the most popular of maps, DOtA 6.61b does not work. Blizzard, i hate you.

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I am not surprised. To be honest I think blizzard wants to ride out World of Warcraft before they release a new game. And with the lack of LAN support, many people may hold off on the game even when it finally is released. Also, whats up with Diablo III?

rigaudio

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
They've obviously had a change of heart and are developing a LAN system. I mean, what company DOESN'T change its product after people complain?

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I've waited for some time before saying something critical about Tom's lack of proofreading, but come on guys.

"First half of 2010. Did you catch that? That means the game won't make an appearance before July 1, 2010."

It's as if you type things mindlessly as fast as you can just to get an article out...

Back on track:
I suppose it is too much to hope for that the petitions that have gone around maybe held some water, and Blizzard is also adding LAN support along with fixing Bnet? An optimist can only hope...

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
"First half of 2010. Did you catch that? That means the game won't make an appearance before July 1, 2010."

What definition of half are you using? That means it will release sometime between 1 January 2010 and 1 July 2010. After July 1 it would be second half.

G

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "first half" simply means any time from January to around July, more likely past March, since it is not Q1.

Also, for anyone still complaining about the fact that it is being sold as "three games" needs to realize that the other two are expansions. The first one will have up to thirty missions, and that is the norm (or even bigger) than most strategy games.

G

Let's see:
1. no lan
2. a single game now broken up into three parts
3. the usual Blizzard hype

I'll wait for all three parts to be released..then wait for the bundle to be released THEN wait for the bundle to be 50 bucks(roughly the cost of the original non-split version)

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
"What definition of half are you using? That means it will release sometime between 1 January 2010 and 1 July 2010. After July 1 it would be second half."

Actually, you all should read between the lines... I'm not going to say I can read minds, but since WHEN has Blizzard ever stuck to a date? Yeah... always add a few months to their statements. They were saying before Christmas, I personally was thinking "never going to happen". Now they actually say first half, I'm thinking more like second half.

Mediocre graphics, rehash of too many units, 3 seperate campaign releases, no LAN, solely dependant on utterly useless Battle.NET... I don't understand why something like this wasn't released 3 years ago.

They have all the money in the world (in the gaming business sense) to upgrade BNET in WEEKS. They're reinstating LAN back, it's almost the only reason to give an additional 6 month window on this game.

Riding WoW is one thing, but the games are in 2 completely different genre that I doubt they'll see SC2 as even a minuscule threat to their WoW user base. If this was D3 though, I could see wanting to ride WoW a bit longer.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
"What definition of half are you using? That means it will release sometime between 1 January 2010 and 1 July 2010. After July 1 it would be second half."

Actually, you all should read between the lines... I'm not going to say I can read minds, but since WHEN has Blizzard ever stuck to a date? Yeah... always add a few months to their statements. They were saying before Christmas, I personally was thinking "never going to happen". Now they actually say first half, I'm thinking more like second half.

Mediocre graphics, rehash of too many units, 3 seperate campaign releases, no LAN, solely dependant on utterly useless Battle.NET... I don't understand why something like this wasn't released 3 years ago.

They have all the money in the world (in the gaming business sense) to upgrade BNET in WEEKS. They're reinstating LAN back, it's almost the only reason to give an additional 6 month window on this game.

Riding WoW is one thing, but the games are in 2 completely different genre that I doubt they'll see SC2 as even a minuscule threat to their WoW user base. If this was D3 though, I could see wanting to ride WoW a bit longer.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
LAN play is very likely coming back if this is the case now with the delay. I dont think it would take them very long though to make LAN play possible though, but in the sense that they are playing advocate, they are being sensible in saying first half of 2010 so that they dont have to publicly humiliate themselves again by delaying it once again...

Personally if this game releases without LAN play it will be the death of the game to ignore their potential sales and shaft the general gaming community or at least keep it from realizing its true potential. Battlenet is a joke and something I dont think they should bank on. Not that battlenet itself is a complete waste of space, but making people join some community just to play a game is a waste altogether. Something I dont think any developer should aspire to create.

Let people get what they ask for, not get what you want to shove down their throat...

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Ok, so instead of all publishers putting games out in Oct./Nov. like they usually do, they ALL decided to push them to the spring of next year.

Smart move.

Status
Not open for further replies.