reload XP home failed now won't boot

June 21, 2005 5:27:01 AM

XP ( no service packs) PC was behaving very badly so I tried to reload
(upgrade) windows over the original installation. It crashed during the
upgrade and now wont boot but has the following message
"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
if I try to start the PC from the windows CD I get an option to: "continue
with previous upgrade" load new version or quit"
If I try to continue with previous upgrade I get message "cannot locate
original Installation" (or words to that effect).
If I select install a new version it does not detect old version and wants
to reformat the drive.
I have had the hard disk in another machine and all software is still there
so I don't want to start with a fresh install.
I can get to repair console and I have loaded another drive with the same
version of windows in case any files need to be copied.
Hardware problem that was originally causing crash has now been fixed.
Help please!!
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:36:01 PM

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Gogs" <Gogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP ( no service packs) PC was behaving very badly so I tried to reload
> (upgrade) windows over the original installation. It crashed during the
> upgrade and now wont boot but has the following message
> "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
> if I try to start the PC from the windows CD I get an option to: "continue
> with previous upgrade" load new version or quit"
> If I try to continue with previous upgrade I get message "cannot locate
> original Installation" (or words to that effect).
> If I select install a new version it does not detect old version and wants
> to reformat the drive.
> I have had the hard disk in another machine and all software is still
> there
> so I don't want to start with a fresh install.
> I can get to repair console and I have loaded another drive with the same
> version of windows in case any files need to be copied.
> Hardware problem that was originally causing crash has now been fixed.
> Help please!!
June 21, 2005 1:36:02 PM

Hi,
Unfortunately the repair files also apear to be missing, whin i try to copy
from the windows\repair i get - file could not be found - can I copy them
from a hard disk with a fresh version of windows

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following article helps:
>
> "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
> starting"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Gogs" <Gogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > XP ( no service packs) PC was behaving very badly so I tried to reload
> > (upgrade) windows over the original installation. It crashed during the
> > upgrade and now wont boot but has the following message
> > "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or
> > corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
> > if I try to start the PC from the windows CD I get an option to: "continue
> > with previous upgrade" load new version or quit"
> > If I try to continue with previous upgrade I get message "cannot locate
> > original Installation" (or words to that effect).
> > If I select install a new version it does not detect old version and wants
> > to reformat the drive.
> > I have had the hard disk in another machine and all software is still
> > there
> > so I don't want to start with a fresh install.
> > I can get to repair console and I have loaded another drive with the same
> > version of windows in case any files need to be copied.
> > Hardware problem that was originally causing crash has now been fixed.
> > Help please!!

June 23, 2005 7:58:04 AM

Hi,
ran 1st stages as instructed but now get password error and the system
reboots.
Isass.exe - system error
"when trying to update a password this status indicates that the value
stated as the current password is incorrect" or words to that effect.

Gogs

!