start up program problems

i am running Windows XP SP 2, 1GB ram, 2x200mb Sata hard disks, Norton
Systemworks 2003, all the latest windows updates, upto date anti-virus def's,
Zonealarm Pro and MS Antispyware.
On most occassions when i start up my pc only a very few number of programs
will start up. i have to reboot my pc perhaps 5/6 times before it seems to
"restore itself" then it runs ok. (i have also done a Windows system restore)
However on the 5/6 times that i have to reboot it will take the pc several
minutes to shutdown and restart!
Anyone got any ideas as to what is causing these problems?
--
Regards
Doug

thanks for the info, i have increased the VM (i assume we talking page file
size here) from 6Gb to 10GB, with no effect. at the moment the pc is running
fine, my problems start when i roboot!

--
Regards
Doug

"JonyBrv" wrote:

> I believe the number of programs that you have in the startup seems to be
> the reason for this issue. Either the virtual memory or the physical memory
> should be sufficient to load that many programs during the startup. Ofcourse
> it also requires processor power.
>
> Try increase the virtual memory or upgrade physical memory to see if it
> helps.
>

> "Doug UK" <DougUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i am running Windows XP SP 2, 1GB ram, 2x200mb Sata hard disks, Norton
> > Systemworks 2003, all the latest windows updates, upto date anti-virus
> > def's,
> > Zonealarm Pro and MS Antispyware.
> > On most occassions when i start up my pc only a very few number of
> > programs
> > will start up. i have to reboot my pc perhaps 5/6 times before it seems to
> > "restore itself" then it runs ok. (i have also done a Windows system
> > restore)
> > However on the 5/6 times that i have to reboot it will take the pc several
> > minutes to shutdown and restart!
> > Anyone got any ideas as to what is causing these problems?
> > --
> > Regards
> > Doug
> > Doug

Byte

Your RAM and Virtual Memory are fine. Set your VM to 2 or 2 1/2 times
your RAM which will be sufficient for Page Files. Your problem may be at
the startup of too many apps loading using valuable system resources. Go to:
Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and press OK
Now click the Startup tab and disable/uncheck everything except your
anti-virus
app, if Norton it will start with NAV. Click Apply and Close. Reboot.
Hope this works for you. Happy putering. :~)
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.