Driver updating issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAW-BERRY

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
So I was recently given my friends Dell laptop to fix (model P02E). The computer boots normally, but after you login, the screen goes completely white. However, an error message still appeared for malwarebytes which had been installed on the system before I got it. Other than that though, it's just white and nothing really happens.

I can get it to boot into safe mode fine. From there I checked the GPU drivers (Intel HD Graphics was the only detected display adapter). They were out of date by about 2 years (version 8.15.10.2104), so I decided to try to update them. I download the most recent drivers from Intel's site drive and then try and install them on the laptop while in safe mode.

The installer runs fine at first, but it stalls out about 1/5 of the way through and then gives the message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I hit ok, and the program closes out.

I was considering trying to completely uninstall the current drivers and then try to install new ones, but I fear that it wouldn't solve anything and the same problem would persist and the computer would just lack any drivers at all for its GPU.

It's also worth noting that I tried to run a DX Diagnostics on the laptop and there was no display information detected at all.

And one last thing I noticed, when I leave the computer idle long enough for the screensaver to appear, the screensaver is a black background with the message "The screen saver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that's compatible with Direct3D"

Here is the driver I was trying to install: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22019&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Drivers%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

Sorry for the long post! I tried to fit all relevant information in as possible! Please let me know if anything else is needed!

Thanks for any and all help!

Status
Not open for further replies.