Need some help from a pro

June 21, 2005 3:00:48 PM

I recently bought a dell c400 1.2ghz 512ram 40gb ..and ive got a home
computer ..when i bought the laptop the guy never told me it never came
iwth an OS now ive found a file on limewire where i can download
windows XP with sp2 (i think its legal because i have already xp but
its on my other computer i just dont have the disk) ...Now can somone
who knows about computers please advise me and what to do ....how would
i burn the windows xp disk and do all i need is the xp disk or do i need
annything else to get my new laptop up anad running . THANKS A LOT GUYS
any advice would be very appreciated

--
massimo

More about : pro

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:56:02 PM

Hi

It would be illegal for you to download that file and use it. Contact your
laptop supplier and ask them how you have to reinstall XP. Also, have a
look through the documentation that came with the laptop - you may find
something there that concerns the re-installation of XP.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"massimo" <massimo.1qz51p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I recently bought a dell c400 1.2ghz 512ram 40gb ..and ive got a home
> computer ..when i bought the laptop the guy never told me it never came
> iwth an OS now ive found a file on limewire where i can download
> windows XP with sp2 (i think its legal because i have already xp but
> its on my other computer i just dont have the disk) ...Now can somone
> who knows about computers please advise me and what to do ....how would
> i burn the windows xp disk and do all i need is the xp disk or do i need
> annything else to get my new laptop up anad running . THANKS A LOT GUYS
> any advice would be very appreciated
>

> --
> massimo
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 5:45:51 PM

"massimo" <massimo.1qz51p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I recently bought a dell c400 1.2ghz 512ram 40gb ..and ive got a home
> computer ..when i bought the laptop the guy never told me it never came
> iwth an OS now ive found a file on limewire where i can download
> windows XP with sp2 (i think its legal because i have already xp but
> its on my other computer i just dont have the disk) ...Now can somone
> who knows about computers please advise me and what to do ....how would
> i burn the windows xp disk and do all i need is the xp disk or do i need
> annything else to get my new laptop up anad running . THANKS A LOT GUYS
> any advice would be very appreciated

You bought a laptop without an opertaing system.
You need to go buy an operating system for that laptop.
Jus because you have Windows XP on your PC does not mean you can also
install it on your laptop.
Windows XP is licensed one copy for each machine it is installed to, so if
you have one copy on your PC and you want another on your laptop you need to
go out and buy that additional copy.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"massimo" <massimo.1qz51p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I recently bought a dell c400 1.2ghz 512ram 40gb ..and ive got a home
> computer ..when i bought the laptop the guy never told me it never came
> iwth an OS now ive found a file on limewire where i can download
> windows XP with sp2 (i think its legal because i have already xp but
> its on my other computer i just dont have the disk) ...Now can somone
> who knows about computers please advise me and what to do ....how would
> i burn the windows xp disk and do all i need is the xp disk or do i need
> annything else to get my new laptop up anad running . THANKS A LOT GUYS
> any advice would be very appreciated
>

> --
> massimo
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:25:53 PM

massimo wrote:
> I recently bought a dell c400 1.2ghz 512ram 40gb ..and ive got a home
> computer ..when i bought the laptop the guy never told me it never came
> iwth an OS now ive found a file on limewire where i can download
> windows XP with sp2 (i think its legal because i have already xp but
> its on my other computer i just dont have the disk)

No, it isn't legal. Unless you happen to have an MSDN subscription,
there are no legitimate sources for downloading a Microsoft OS.

> ...Now can somone
> who knows about computers please advise me and what to do

This really doesn't require much specific computer knowledge:

1) Go to store/shop that sells computer software.

2) Purchase either the desired Upgrade version of WinXP, one copy for
each computer to be upgraded.

3) Return to home.

4) Insert installation CD in PC's CD drive and follow the on-screen
prompts and instructions to install application and desired additional
features.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: