Is Seagate Momentus XT 750gb will solve my slowness problem

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 1, 2012 4:03:57 AM

Hello there
I have " hp pavilion dv6 6c65sx " and its specs
Processors: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM 2.2 GHz
Memory type: 8 GB DDR3
Hard drive :Toshiba MK1059GSM 1000 GB SATA (5400 rpm)
Graphics : AMD Radeon HD 7690M XT (2 GB DDR5 dedicated)
====================================================
My problem is that my windows load time , hard access time , response time and application launch time is not fast enough and take long time that are not expected from these kind of specification so i try all the solution here for slowness and nothing happen , and so from what i read i understand that the problem is that i have a 5400 rpm HDD , so i decided to change it with
WD Scorpio Black hdd , then i read about Seagate Momentus XT 750gb and i thought that it may be the one that will solve my problem ,
so from the experience of the people who try that hard( the 750 not the 500gb) is it compatible well with Microsoft os and linux os ??? will it solve my problems of load time ,access time and app launch time ??? Does it have any problem at all ?? sorry for that short story but i really want to know every thing about that hard, coz most of what i found was talking about the old version 500gb and i want to know about the real experience of the 750 gb , hope to found my answers here
November 1, 2012 4:40:37 AM

I've got a couple of 750gb Momentus XT and one of the 500 XTs to. Compatibility is fine, everything I throw at them, very transparent. They are fast hard drives, boot time are close to SSD (I have a couple of computers with SSDs) but the rest of the functions are like a fast spinning drive and not as fast as SSD of course. They are just a bit noisy, nothing bad. If you don't need a lot of space, get an SSD, consistent speed but if you need the space, the XT is a great compromise. I'm duel booting one of the drives, the drive handles it just fine. I was a little curious about how it would handle booting to OSs but I haven't noticed a problem. I don't have anything to say about reliability yet.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2012 4:46:41 AM

it plays sort of as a middleman between hdd's and ssds. it stores some of the applications launch data for quick flash use, but of course, that space is limited, so it helps aiding some of the loading, but not all of it when it comes to large programs. You will see much faster boot time though.
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2012 6:47:57 AM

ginghus_khan2000 said:
I've got a couple of 750gb Momentus XT and one of the 500 XTs to. Compatibility is fine, everything I throw at them, very transparent. They are fast hard drives, boot time are close to SSD (I have a couple of computers with SSDs) but the rest of the functions are like a fast spinning drive and not as fast as SSD of course. They are just a bit noisy, nothing bad. If you don't need a lot of space, get an SSD, consistent speed but if you need the space, the XT is a great compromise. I'm duel booting one of the drives, the drive handles it just fine. I was a little curious about how it would handle booting to OSs but I haven't noticed a problem. I don't have anything to say about reliability yet.

thanks ginhus , but could u explain how much noisy it is
m
l
November 1, 2012 6:53:05 AM

dudewitbow said:
it plays sort of as a middleman between hdd's and ssds. it stores some of the applications launch data for quick flash use, but of course, that space is limited, so it helps aiding some of the loading, but not all of it when it comes to large programs. You will see much faster boot time though.

so if i frequently use large application like vmware, matlap and photoshop , is it will be fast launching or normal coz these are most of application i daily use and on my lap its take long time to launch as most of applications do .
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2012 7:05:38 AM

how do you know if your random access times are low?
it is a matter of feeling

but before you buy anything, are you sure it's all a fault of the HDD? are you sure you don't have other problems, like bloatware, for example?

anyway, I'd recommend SSD over the Hybrid HDD if it's only for speed and you have enough storage space in your current HDD.
m
l
November 1, 2012 7:48:37 AM

calmlikeabomb said:
how do you know if your random access times are low?
it is a matter of feeling

but before you buy anything, are you sure it's all a fault of the HDD? are you sure you don't have other problems, like bloatware, for example?

anyway, I'd recommend SSD over the Hybrid HDD if it's only for speed and you have enough storage space in your current HDD.

You are right it's a matter of feeling but it is true that its a hdd fault and we can say that it is the normal performance of a 5400 hdd , and iam sure it is not other problem , and unfortunately my lap only has one bay for hdd so the size is matter also with speed , that is why i go for the momntus xt 750 and want to know if it will be as seagate say or just propaganda
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
November 1, 2012 8:28:46 AM

1. it is faster in some cases

2. I guess not, but do you have an mSata connector?

3. You can install an SSD and make your current HDD an external one
November 1, 2012 9:11:33 AM

calmlikeabomb said:
1. it is faster in some cases

2. I guess not, but do you have an mSata connector?

3. You can install an SSD and make your current HDD an external one

okay i now have 2 choices
1- try the momntus XT 750 but i want to know if it will be fast and solve my slowness

2- i use the ssd(but does hp pavilion dv6 6c65sx support ssd) and it will be expensive , and here i have a question can i replace my dvd drive with my current hdd and use the ssd as my master drive for os and other installation ? my lap model is pavilion dv6 6c65sx , kindly check it and tell me if it could be done .
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2012 11:46:00 AM

about 2 - you don't need too. Just use an external case and make your internal HDD into an external one

about being more expensive - not true. You can find SSD deals for 60-70$ for top models. Check deals section or something
m
l
November 1, 2012 12:11:02 PM

calmlikeabomb said:
about 2 - you don't need too. Just use an external case and make your internal HDD into an external one

about being more expensive - not true. You can find SSD deals for 60-70$ for top models. Check deals section or something

thanks calmlikeabomb i will consider your advice to use the ssd as my master and use my current hdd as external , but i also need to know more about seagate momentus xt so if u cane also tell me more about it , it will be great
m
l
November 1, 2012 2:35:37 PM

Best answer selected by memoooo500.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2012 2:47:51 PM

IMHO, coupling a SSD with a HDD defeats most of the purpose of using a SSD. You will get improved launch and boot times from a SSD but the real reason to use a SSD is reliability which is negated by coupling with a HDD. Most people (including myself) use an SSD to boot from and a HDD for storage. Mine is external which I prefer.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2012 4:16:47 PM

oh, also, seagate themselves are going to ship new XTs early next year
m
l
November 2, 2012 11:50:34 AM

ram1009 said:
IMHO, coupling a SSD with a HDD defeats most of the purpose of using a SSD. You will get improved launch and boot times from a SSD but the real reason to use a SSD is reliability which is negated by coupling with a HDD. Most people (including myself) use an SSD to boot from and a HDD for storage. Mine is external which I prefer.

thanks ram1009 , i think i will do that as calmlikeabomb advised me and you too , to use SSD to boot from and use my current as external hard drive because it seems to be the best solution to get the best performance of my cpu and ram , but the question now what is the best 256G SSD i should purchase to get the maximum performance ?? as i found in the charts here many SSD and i do not know which is the best
m
l
November 2, 2012 11:52:32 AM

calmlikeabomb said:
oh, also, seagate themselves are going to ship new XTs early next year

thanks calmlikeabom but i will go with your advise and buy a 256G or 128G SSD and use my current hdd as external drive , but i dono't know what is the best 256G SSD i should purchase to get the maximum performance ????
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 1:15:55 PM

memoooo500 said:
thanks ram1009 , i think i will do that as calmlikeabomb advised me and you too , to use SSD to boot from and use my current as external hard drive because it seems to be the best solution to get the best performance of my cpu and ram , but the question now what is the best 256G SSD i should purchase to get the maximum performance ?? as i found in the charts here many SSD and i do not know which is the best

I own two brands. A Crucial M4 and a Samsung 830 and recommend both.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 1:40:24 PM

the samsung is better probably, but as ram1009 said - he recommends both
remember that people use SSDs with such performance for servers with huge loads of data transfer and concurrent operations and it's still very fast (see Anandtech review), so for a simple user like you and me it should be fine
m
l
November 2, 2012 1:46:06 PM

okay thanks , and i read a little about ssd and find this one OCZ vertex 4 , so i dn not know what is the difference between it and Samsung 830 so could you tell me what is the difference between them , and how much that difference will affect me because i want to use it for application like matlap , Photoshop, 3dmax and application like that for image processing which will need fast hard so i need to know the difference to buy something good
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 1:55:23 PM

Here's some real world tests:

Windows Boot Time w/ THG Tier 1 SSD = 15.6 seconds (i7-2600k 16 GB desktop)
Windows Boot Time w/ Seagate Barracuda XT = 21.2 seconds (same desktop)
Windows Boot Time w/ Momentus 750 GB = 16.4 seconds (3720 QM laptop)

MMO Load Time Time w/ THG Tier 1 SSD = 45.5 seconds (desktop)
MMO Load Time Time w/ Seagate Barracuda XT = 45.5 seconds (same desktop)
MMO Load Time Time w/ Momentus 750 GB = 22.1 seconds (laptop)

Can't explain the difference in the MMO load times on the lappie other than it's a new server.....haven't had achnace to retest the desktop w/ Hurrican Sandra having knocked out internet at home.

I'm quite content with the performance of the Momentus and though I have built about 2 dozen machines with Tier 1 SSD's from this point on, I would find it very hard to justify the cost of an SSD from a "return on investment" standpoint. What I mean by ROI is actual time saved under real usage conditions. That maeans all the time spent tweaking an SSD and managing "what goes where" has to be subracted form any time savings. Employee productivity certainly won't change with the 0.8 second OS boot time.

Of course if having high benchies and bragging rights is a priority, the Moments won't put you at the tippity top.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 2:33:00 PM

I doubt you will notice any performance differences among SSDs unless you routinely deal with huge files. Personally, I ignored the performance numbers when I made my selection. Also, they all exaggerate. I know that's hard to believe. My concern was/is for reliability and OCZ has had many complaints in that area as well as customer support. You can usually find an OCZ a little cheaper than a Samsung but not nearly enough for me to take the risk. Remember you must live with your choice long after you forget how much you paid for it.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 2:37:56 PM

JackNaylorPE said:

Can't explain the difference in the MMO load times on the lappie other than it's a new server.....haven't had achnace to retest the desktop w/ Hurrican Sandra having knocked out internet at home.

I'm quite content with the performance of the Momentus and though I have built about 2 dozen machines with Tier 1 SSD's from this point on, I would find it very hard to justify the cost of an SSD from a "return on investment" standpoint. What I mean by ROI is actual time saved under real usage conditions. That maeans all the time spent tweaking an SSD and managing "what goes where" has to be subracted form any time savings. Employee productivity certainly won't change with the 0.8 second OS boot time.

Of course if having high benchies and bragging rights is a priority, the Moments won't put you at the tippity top.

I agree that performance increases of an SSD are not worth the investment however the reliability improvement is the major reason for using one, IMHO. One adventure with a data recovery service will make my point to anyone.
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:48:30 PM

JackNaylorPE said:

thanks man so what are your recommendations?? , i go for momentus xt , or choose the SSD as i been advised( and the guys here really help me and recommended ssd for me) and if i choose ssd what is the best 128G ssd i should choose
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 2:51:35 PM

wait wait. Where are those numbers from??
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:53:04 PM

ram1009 said:
I doubt you will notice any performance differences among SSDs unless you routinely deal with huge files. Personally, I ignored the performance numbers when I made my selection. Also, they all exaggerate. I know that's hard to believe. My concern was/is for reliability and OCZ has had many complaints in that area as well as customer support. You can usually find an OCZ a little cheaper than a Samsung but not nearly enough for me to take the risk. Remember you must live with your choice long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Thanks man for enlightening me i did not know that about OCZ " and when i saw the review of OCZ Vertex 4 on youtube it seems very good " , so I'm getting confused now which is the best choices in ssd ???
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 3:05:34 PM

The SSD will give you solid fast performance across the board, no matter what kind of operation you will do, including opening several applications concurrently.

I think that an SSD is a better choice unless you need the storage space. Otherwise, I suggest that you wait to the new generation of Hybrid HDDs from Seagate or WD.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:10:45 PM

calmlikeabomb said:
The SSD will give you solid fast performance across the board, no matter what kind of operation you will do, including opening several applications concurrently.

I think that an SSD is a better choice unless you need the storage space. Otherwise, I suggest that you wait to the new generation of Hybrid HDDs from Seagate or WD.

no i will use external drive for space , so all i care about is performance i need the best performance ( i have core i7 , 8G RAM ) and i can not feel them because of hdd so i decided to go for the ssd , so what is the best 128G ssd i should have to get best performance
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 3:14:02 PM

calmlikeabomb said:

I completely agree with your comments on a stand alone SSD but couldn't disagree more about the hybrid. Please explain to me what benefit there is to coupling a HDD with an SSD. What am I missing? What does it do that you can't do better without it?
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 3:50:22 PM

ram1009, I don't understand what you've asked.
Are you asking what is Hybrid HDD good for?
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 5:13:36 PM

calmlikeabomb said:
ram1009, I don't understand what you've asked.
Are you asking what is Hybrid HDD good for?

I jut noticed that the OP is upgrading a laptop so I can see his interest in a single unit solution. I think that's the only place a hybrid makes any sense at all. Other than that it's just a faster HDD.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 5:15:34 PM

it is much faster HDD for certain operations. As reviews show, boot times are much better and so are loading times of many programs.
The next generation Hybrid HDDs will be even better, with larger SSD modules and with the ability to use the NAND for writing and not only for reading, as it is now.
m
l
November 2, 2012 7:08:20 PM

Thanks ram1009 and calmlikeabomb for that concern of my issue , i finally decided that i will get an small size ssd 128G , and will convert my current hdd(Toshiba 1 tera ) to external hard drive , the question now what tis the best 128G ssd i should use because i found that 3 SSDs Samsung 840 Pro , Plextor M5 Pro and OCZ Vertex 4 . so i really do not know which one is the better or if there is any SSD better than them ??? so kindly tell me what should i get ???
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 7:39:59 PM

the cheapest. Did you see the Samsung 830 deal?
m
l
November 2, 2012 7:56:22 PM

calmlikeabomb said:
the cheapest. Did you see the Samsung 830 deal?

i saw it on amazon for 98 $ , but what is the difference between the 830 and 840 pro ???
m
l
November 3, 2012 7:19:32 AM

Waitin' for any answers guys ..................
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 3, 2012 8:52:30 AM

the 840 pro is probably the best model currently
the 830 was selling for 70$ just a day ago.

You won't feel the difference between the two
m
l
November 3, 2012 10:17:35 AM

calmlikeabomb said:
the 840 pro is probably the best model currently
the 830 was selling for 70$ just a day ago.

You won't feel the difference between the two

what about read & write speed and that kind of stuff , as i checked the both and found this

the 830
4KB Random Read: Up to 80,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write: Up to 30,000 IOPS

the 840
4KB Random Read: Up to 97,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write: Up to 90,000 IOPS

so as you see the numbers are high so ??? is too high or i will no feel no difference in real world
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 3, 2012 10:39:46 AM

that's what I said - the 840 pro is faster, might be even the fastest currently.
you won't feel the difference.
m
l
November 3, 2012 10:56:34 AM

calmlikeabomb said:
that's what I said - the 840 pro is faster, might be even the fastest currently.
you won't feel the difference.

thanks man and colud you plase check this and tell me your opinion , i found that reply on another site

===========================================================================================
According to AT Bench, 830 owns the Heavy Workload tests; 840 owns the Light Workload. Synthetics aren't worth much imho so whatever on them.

The Heavy tests are write-heavy and the 840 is weak especially on sequential writes... so if you're transcoding, decompressing, writing crap tons of video, or just installing giant programs for fun, the 830 is the way to go.

The Light tests are read-heavy and that's where the 840 wins. So if you're working in Office, concerned with loading apps, games, game levels/data, etc then the 840 might be a better option.

Looks like the 840 has some minor power advantages too. Might be worth considering if you have a lappie... if it's a desktop the difference will be like 4 cents a year. :p 

I'm debating between the two myself. I have a lappie and I do a lot of productivity work and some light gaming on the side, so the 840 actually is a better match for my workload - the 830's better write speed will save me a few minutes when I wipe my drive and reinstall stuff, but that's about it. And a bit more battery life never hurt anyone.

The tradeoff is that the 830 128GB right now is 90 bucks and the 840 is 110... and if I go with the 840 I'm losing 8GB of space. Not a huge deal, but it does push the price per gig equation a bit farther in the 830's favor. It's a much smaller deal at the 250-256GB size since you're losing a much smaller percentage of your space (and only 6GB instead of 8).

I'm not horribly scared of the 840 having reliability issues - the controller is an incremental improvement on a proven design, and Samsung's TLC NAND is similarly proven. The 830 was solid from Day 1 and I'd expect the same here. Still, having the extra proving time couldn't hurt.

I'll pry order the 830 later today. My guess is that the light workload advantage won't even be noticeable to me since it's, well, a light workload. I'm just sick of waiting for the bog slow 5400rpm drive that came with my laptop... pretty sure the Pony Express would be an upgrade from this thing. :p 
====================================================================================================================

and i need your opinion about it because as i told you before i need that SSD for my lap to make image processing using matlab , 3dmax and Photoshop -- and also need to have fast application launch and quick access time , so I'm not sure which one of them will do that for me , but i think u can help me about it , and thanks for the great following of my question and great simple answers
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 4, 2012 4:59:14 AM

Really - the cheapest would be the best for you
m
l
November 4, 2012 5:38:22 AM

calmlikeabomb said:
Really - the cheapest would be the best fothr you

thanks man , for ur help
m