Dell? DON’T BUY! (Inspiron 5150 laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeIK

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003
Short version: only about Inspiron 5150, read long version about why not to buy from Dell at all.

Do not buy Inspiron 5150 (SAME PROBLEM ALL OVER THE WORLD), It was a keyboard error which doesn’t allow you to hold down 2 buttons at the same time, e.g. (hold down W and press 2). The keys doesn’t work in combination the horizontal way e.g. (3-e-d-c) so on. This makes the laptop useless for pretty much all games, even a game like EverQuest as you can not run and use hotkey 2. Dell will not admit it’s an error. If you have bought it before the 14 days return right, RETURN THE LAPTOP AT THIS MOMENT! Rest of you, I suggest you contact your country’s Consumer Watchdog.

Long version:

Info: Inspiron 5150 with 3 year next business day warranty + complete care insurance price of £1900 in total with the extra equipment.

As many of you, I looked through Dell’s homepage. Did the basic research but didn’t come up with any negative things except some blue screen errors. Had only good things about Dell and their costumer support so on.
Boy was I wrong.
Ordered my Inspiron 5150 laptop August the 14th, where I asked if it would be delivered before the 1st September as I needed it for my school which started that day. Was told it wouldn’t be a problem and I would most likely receive it the 27th. Called them when I didn’t receive it the 27th and asked what was going on? I was told that they were missing a component for the laptop (great service huh ? no call no nothing). But I would receive it the 1st, even though I asked for it BEFORE the 1st. Well, nothing to do about it, so I just waited. However I didn’t receive it the 1st. Date got finalized and I was to receive it the 3rd September between 8am and 2pm. Yet again Dell amazed me, the laptop wasn’t there? Called them yet again and asked what on earth was going on. Apparently the delivery guy thought it wasn’t important to deliver all the computers on his route and skipped my stop. Was time to play hardball to actually receive the laptop, so I told them that either the laptop was in front of my house before 6pm or I would cancel the order. Amazing it worked, but then again, its money we are talking about. Laptop arrived at 5pm and I thought, finally. Laptop didn’t seem to have any problems so I was happy (no pixel errors, boot up problems or anything).

The 25th I was playing a game Counter-strike on my laptop and I thought to myself, that’s weird. While I was running I couldn’t change to the pistol (run-key w and weapon change to pistol 2). Closed down the game and started testing. Sure enough, the keys didn’t work in combination with each other, couldn’t hold down w and press 2 at the same time. This made the computer useless for all gaming purpose, as you often in games need buttons near each other. WordPad test would show like this:

Holding down W and pressing 2 afterwards,

Wwwwwww

On a normal computer, it would look like this

Wwwwwww2

Also found a design problem (the rubber thingy’s that are on the top of the screen wasn’t sticking out enough, so after a while you could see keyboard marks and touchpad mark on the screen.

It had to be a mistake, an error which could be fixed without problems, yet again I was wrong.
Called Dell and told them about the error, after around 15 minutes of talking with the supporter. I was informed that it could be fixed with a new keyboard and that I would receive it the next day. Waited for it but it never arrived. Called them again the day after and talked to another supporter, he informed me that the order for the keyboard was cancelled due to lack of testing, I thought, what ???.. I did everything the other supporter asked me to, including the Dell software keyboard test. Well, yet again I ran the same tests with the new supporter and everything. Finally he said he would send me a new keyboard for the laptop. The next day a technician arrived to my home with the new keyboard. I ran the WordPad test with the new keyboard and it didn’t work. The technician told me he would call dell and ask them about this problem and would call me back.
It never happened. Went like this for 21 days with promises of phone calls from Dell, which I never got. Easy solutions so on. IT NEVER HAPPENED! Finally the 16th October I received an email where I was told, I could not get back my money nor get another laptop which could perform this action. If I wished this “special feature” I should have asked for it BEFORE I bought the computer. However, they would give me a USB-Keyboard I could connect to the laptop if I wished it.
Sent dell a final email about this problem, never received a reply.
So here it is, my warning to all who wish to buy Dell computers, DO NOT BUY FROM DELL.

Do spread the word and warn others.

-PeIK

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
not too good,

apperently the 5150 is one of the best laptops around at the moment for the price.

---------
Intel PIV 2.4C @ 3.0G \
Asus P4C800 \
Corsair 2x512 3200LL memory \
Radeon 9600pro @ 500/700/1.35 \
SB Live 5.1 \
80G Seagate S-ATA150 \
430 Antec 1080AMG

Britdude

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
I will never buy from big company's like dell and such again, there such a ripoff! i was looking at few of them, a fx5200 with a pc worth 1000 pounds with that amount of money i could build one with a R9700np and doesn't even say which type of ddr ram.

PeIK,
I have a Dell 4100 desktop (now a museum piece),and it does work ok now. Going back a few years I had some serious issues with Dell and their world class award winning service and tech support. But I stayed on their case like you would not believe and I prevailed in the end. But the sum of all this is that all Dell did was turn me away from them. I got tired of dealing with people in Bangladesh who had difficulty speaking and understanding the English language. I got tired of dealing with in competent people that didn't care and that gave me the wrong answers to my tech issues. So now I will never buy another Dell ever again. If you go to Dells tech support forums you will find more people who also have had it with them. You had to see the junk Dell sent me. Now I'm getting pissed again, gotta go......Vista

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b>

I wouldn't buy Dell or Gateway ever again........

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b>

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Let me put it this way for you guys.... I'm building a dual Xeon 3GHz rackmount server with 12-channel IDE RAID, two 64-bit PCI slots, a pro 3D graphics card, 10 hot-swappable IDE bays, gigabit ethernet and 1 gig of dual-channel DDR ram. It will also have a total of 768GB of HD storage divided between a RAID-0 and a RAID-5...

... For <b>$1200 LESS</b> than what someone I know just paid for a Gateway 2000 computer with a single 2.5ghz P4, 512MB ram, 10/100 ethernet, crapola sound board, and "value" video card. Yeah I already have some of the parts for it (video sound and some of the HDs), but come on this computer kicks the living crap out of that one and even if I added up all the parts I already have it wouldn't be much more.

The only time I've seen GW2K or Dell come even <i>close</i> to being a decent deal for what you get, is if you have no software and no parts at all to start, and don't know how to build a computer (assuming that time is money and it'd take you a lot of time to build it).

Goof

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2003
There are ways around that here in Australia (ways around having to keep the item). There have been several cases where it was found that the return period is extended by the courts BECAUSE youw wouldn' have bought the computer if you knew about the issue beforehand, and you would have returned it immediately except for unfulfilled promises.

The burden of proof here seems to lie in proving that yes, you would have returned it if you had had the chance, and then proving that you didn't have the chance.

But although the Australian legal system is very similar to the British one, rulings can differ...

Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2160 180 FSB
GF4 Ti4200 @ 275/575
GA-7N400Pro
1GiG Kingston PC3200 @ 432MHz (Dual Channel)

isnoop

I am writing this post on my 5150 that I purchased in July of last year. I can say with certainty that I do not have this problem and am rather satisfied with the performance of my machine.

ruirticdabsi

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell ( More info? )

"Dennis Demont" <drdemspm@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am currently using a Sitecom wireless network card with my Inspiron
5150.
> To make a long story short: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
> Sometimes I have access to the internet, sometimes I don't.
> The laptop is almost brand new, WinXP installed and no settings changed.
> I didn't go for the Dell TrueMobile solution when I got the machine,
because
> at that point, I was not planning to go wireless. Wish I had...
>
> I'm running a 802.11b network using a Draytek Vigor 2600We router. I have
> two desktops, also on Sitecom wireless cards, and these both work fine. So
> it's not the router. Settings on all machine are the same, so I suspect
it's
> the quality of the wireless card. Therefore, I want to try a different
> brand. What do you recommend?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

I use a D-Link 650+ on my 5100. Works great.

RGT
.