USB 1.1/2.0 question

First, some background. I run Windows 98SE on an elderly Dimension
L667r with a Canon BJC-2100 printer. The printer has suddenly gotten
the vapors and won't print black text, although it will print colored
text and images. I changed the black ink tank (even though I thought
the previous one should have had enough ink), but that had no effect.
Oddly, a nozzle check pattern test properly prints all colors
including black.

Anyway, rather than fool around further with the printer I'd be just
as happy buying a new printer but (here, at last, is my question):

My computer has a USB 1.1 port and virtually all the available
printers are designed for USB 2.0. Are these printers backward
compatible? Will they rull all right on the USB 1 port?

If not, how difficult and expensive is it to install a USB 2.0 port?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated, as well as any thoughts
on what else to try to get the Canon 2100 running.

-Len
6 answers Last reply
More about question

    Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
    They don't need 2.0 speed.
    A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll have
    to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is supported.
    (XP needed an update if I recall correctly).

    I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores your
    printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded anything
    else lately?

    "LenS" <lenston@att.net> wrote in message
    > First, some background. I run Windows 98SE on an elderly Dimension
    > L667r with a Canon BJC-2100 printer. The printer has suddenly gotten
    > the vapors and won't print black text, although it will print colored
    > text and images. I changed the black ink tank (even though I thought
    > the previous one should have had enough ink), but that had no effect.
    > Oddly, a nozzle check pattern test properly prints all colors
    > including black.
    >
    > Anyway, rather than fool around further with the printer I'd be just
    > as happy buying a new printer but (here, at last, is my question):
    >
    > My computer has a USB 1.1 port and virtually all the available
    > printers are designed for USB 2.0. Are these printers backward
    > compatible? Will they rull all right on the USB 1 port?
    >
    > If not, how difficult and expensive is it to install a USB 2.0 port?
    >
    > Any help on this will be greatly appreciated, as well as any thoughts
    > on what else to try to get the Canon 2100 running.
    >
    > -Len

    I also run 98SE and have several USB devices running fine. I have a
    USB printer also. I have USB 2 capable devices that run fine on USB 1
    ports. I do have a USB 2 card installed that I use for things that need the
    extra speed, printers don't. There may be some, but I haven't run across
    any USB 2 device that won't run on USB 1. Also every USB device that
    I have, came with drivers for use with 98SE.
    .....Fred

    SpongeBlob wrote:

    > Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
    > They don't need 2.0 speed.
    > A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll have
    > to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is supported.
    > (XP needed an update if I recall correctly).
    >
    > I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores your
    > printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded anything
    > else lately?

    An addendum... Lots of USB 2.0 peripherals, running on Windows 98,
    require special 2.0 drivers.

    Notan

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:32:35 -0500, "SpongeBlob"
    <SpongeBlob@Blobby.com> wrote:

    >Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
    >They don't need 2.0 speed.
    >A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll have
    >to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is supported.
    >(XP needed an update if I recall correctly).
    >
    >I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores your
    >printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded anything
    >else lately?

    I forgot to mention that I did uninstall and reinstall the Canon
    drivers.

    I can't think of anything I've loaded recently.

    I have considered that it's just possible that the new ink tank I
    installed is bad; a fluke although the opening from which the ink is
    drawn is suitably damp, but I'm reluctant to open another one (it's
    about $8 everytime you open one and they're nearly impossible to close
    back up.

    Another thing I thought about is replacing the printer cartridge (not
    to be confused with the ink tank). The cartridge is the part with the
    actual printing mechanism. If I could find one, I believe it would be
    around $25.

    Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

    -Len

    > On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:32:35 -0500, "SpongeBlob"
    > <SpongeBlob@Blobby.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
    > >They don't need 2.0 speed.
    > >A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll
    have
    > >to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is
    supported.
    > >(XP needed an update if I recall correctly).
    > >
    > >I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores
    your
    > >printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded
    anything
    > >else lately?
    >
    > I forgot to mention that I did uninstall and reinstall the Canon
    > drivers.
    >
    > I can't think of anything I've loaded recently.
    >
    > I have considered that it's just possible that the new ink tank I
    > installed is bad; a fluke although the opening from which the ink is
    > drawn is suitably damp, but I'm reluctant to open another one (it's
    > about $8 everytime you open one and they're nearly impossible to close
    > back up.
    >
    > Another thing I thought about is replacing the printer cartridge (not
    > to be confused with the ink tank). The cartridge is the part with the
    > actual printing mechanism. If I could find one, I believe it would be
    > around $25.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.
    >
    > -Len

    I would think if the nozzle check pattern was fine then the cartridge and
    print head is fine as well. Might be a bad assumption on my part. Have you
    tried any other diagnostics? My Epson printers usually have a few other
    tests you can do.

    Might be worth some email to Canon support before forking out money for a
    new one. I checked their website and their Technical FAQ area does have a
    clip on "Black Ink Will Not Print"

    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=7960

    Do these things have an ink well that can fill up as well? When you do
    cleanings the ink goes there and I think I recall something like this in
    older printers.

    "SpongeBlob" <SpongeBlob@Blobby.com> wrote in message
    > Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
    > They don't need 2.0 speed.
    > A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll
    > have
    > to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is supported.
    > (XP needed an update if I recall correctly).
    >
    > I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores
    > your
    > printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded anything
    > else lately?

    Usually true, but not always. For example, my Epson 7600 absolutely
    requires USB2. It's really unusable on USB1.1

    Tom

Dell USB Windows 98SE Printers Computers