Netgear MR814v2 with Dell Centrino - why is it so slow?

Hi I've got a Netgear MR814v2 hooked up to my cable internet connection.
If I connect my Dell 8600 Centrino laptop via ethernet cable I get between
1.4 and 1.6 Mbits (as measured by McAffee bandwidth tester). If I use the
wireless connection however the maximum I can ever get is about 400 kbit/s
and often much slower. If I don't have the laptop on power then the
maximum I get is more like 50 kbit/s. I've got the latest firmware on the
MR814 (before that the wireless connection would drop out every five
minutes) and have updated my BIOS and Intel Pro 2100 wireless LAN driver to
the latest available.

When I look at the wireless statistics it tells me I'm getting between 5 and
10 Mbit/s throughput - but clearly I'm not. Does anyone have any idea how
I could track this down.

Thanks

Grant Frisken
6 answers Last reply
More about netgear mr814v2 dell centrino slow

    What speeds are achieved when you connect your laptop directly to the
    cable modem?

    "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > What speeds are achieved when you connect your laptop directly to the
    > cable modem?

    I get similar speeds (1.4 to 1.6 Mbits) if I connect directly to the cable
    modem or the router using ethernet cable.

    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:29:46 +1000, "Grant Frisken"
    > <gfrisken.minusspam@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi I've got a Netgear MR814v2 hooked up to my cable internet connection.
    > >If I connect my Dell 8600 Centrino laptop via ethernet cable I get
    between
    > >1.4 and 1.6 Mbits (as measured by McAffee bandwidth tester). If I use
    the
    > >wireless connection however the maximum I can ever get is about 400
    kbit/s
    > >and often much slower. If I don't have the laptop on power then the
    > >maximum I get is more like 50 kbit/s. I've got the latest firmware on
    the
    > >MR814 (before that the wireless connection would drop out every five
    > >minutes) and have updated my BIOS and Intel Pro 2100 wireless LAN driver
    > >the latest available.
    > >
    > >When I look at the wireless statistics it tells me I'm getting between 5
    and
    > >10 Mbit/s throughput - but clearly I'm not. Does anyone have any idea
    how
    > >I could track this down.
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Grant Frisken

    If the speeds you receive by conecting your laptop directly to the
    cable modem is similar to the speeds you receive when you connect your
    laptop to the router, then the router will probably not be your
    problem. I suggest notifying your ISP and have them test the modem
    and internet connection.

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:56:40 +1000, "Grant Frisken"
    <gfrisken.minusspam@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

    >"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> What speeds are achieved when you connect your laptop directly to the
    >> cable modem?
    >
    >I get similar speeds (1.4 to 1.6 Mbits) if I connect directly to the cable
    >modem or the router using ethernet cable.
    >

    >> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:29:46 +1000, "Grant Frisken"
    >> <gfrisken.minusspam@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi I've got a Netgear MR814v2 hooked up to my cable internet connection.
    >> >If I connect my Dell 8600 Centrino laptop via ethernet cable I get
    >between
    >> >1.4 and 1.6 Mbits (as measured by McAffee bandwidth tester). If I use
    >the
    >> >wireless connection however the maximum I can ever get is about 400
    >kbit/s
    >> >and often much slower. If I don't have the laptop on power then the
    >> >maximum I get is more like 50 kbit/s. I've got the latest firmware on
    >the
    >> >MR814 (before that the wireless connection would drop out every five
    >> >minutes) and have updated my BIOS and Intel Pro 2100 wireless LAN driver
    >> >the latest available.
    >> >
    >> >When I look at the wireless statistics it tells me I'm getting between 5
    >and
    >> >10 Mbit/s throughput - but clearly I'm not. Does anyone have any idea
    >how
    >> >I could track this down.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks
    >> >
    >> >Grant Frisken

    You seem to have missed my point. The modem speed and internet connection
    is fine (1.6Mbits/s). Even connecting to the router directly via cable is
    fine. It is only when I use the wireless connection to MR814 router (it is
    a combined wireless and standard 4 port router) that I get the dramatic drop
    in speed (max speed 400 kbit/s).

    If I run the centrino laptop off battery then I see an even more dramatic
    drop in speed (max 50 kbits/s). This makes me strongly suspect the
    centrino's power management. Since 802.11b promises me 11 Mbits/s I am a bit
    annoyed that I am getting such low throughput.

    Regards

    "Grant Frisken" <gfrisken.minusspam@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > You seem to have missed my point. The modem speed and internet
    connection
    > is fine (1.6Mbits/s). Even connecting to the router directly via cable is
    > fine. It is only when I use the wireless connection to MR814 router (it
    is
    > a combined wireless and standard 4 port router) that I get the dramatic
    drop
    > in speed (max speed 400 kbit/s).
    >
    > If I run the centrino laptop off battery then I see an even more dramatic
    > drop in speed (max 50 kbits/s). This makes me strongly suspect the
    > centrino's power management. Since 802.11b promises me 11 Mbits/s I am a
    bit
    > annoyed that I am getting such low throughput.

    have a look at netgear support
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products_automatic/MR814v2.asp

    there is an app note on the Netgear MR814v2 support page about altering the
    config on centrino PCs
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101200.asp

    --
    Regards

    Thanks a lot for the Netgear link. I'd checked the MR814 router FAQ but it
    didn't have a link to the info on Centrinos. This has fixed the difference
    between running on battery and on-power. Both now max out at about
    400kbit/s - although there seems to be more variability in these numbers
    then I get with a direct cable connection.

    The 400kbit/s is still substantially lower than what I was expecting to get
    over 802.11b

    "shope" <stephen_hope@xntlxworld.com> wrote in message

    > "Grant Frisken" <gfrisken.minusspam@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > > You seem to have missed my point. The modem speed and internet
    > connection
    > > is fine (1.6Mbits/s). Even connecting to the router directly via cable
    is
    > > fine. It is only when I use the wireless connection to MR814 router (it
    > is
    > > a combined wireless and standard 4 port router) that I get the dramatic
    > drop
    > > in speed (max speed 400 kbit/s).
    > >
    > > If I run the centrino laptop off battery then I see an even more
    dramatic
    > > drop in speed (max 50 kbits/s). This makes me strongly suspect the
    > > centrino's power management. Since 802.11b promises me 11 Mbits/s I am a
    > bit
    > > annoyed that I am getting such low throughput.
    >
    > have a look at netgear support
    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/products_automatic/MR814v2.asp
    >
    > there is an app note on the Netgear MR814v2 support page about altering
    the
    > config on centrino PCs
    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101200.asp
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Grant Frisken
    > >

    > > "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > If the speeds you receive by conecting your laptop directly to the
    > > > cable modem is similar to the speeds you receive when you connect your
    > > > laptop to the router, then the router will probably not be your
    > > > problem. I suggest notifying your ISP and have them test the modem
    > > > and internet connection.

    > > cable

    > > connection.
    > use
    > the
    > > on
    > > driver

    > between
    > > 5
    > > idea

    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Stephen Hope - return address needs fewer xxs

Wireless Connection Netgear Wireless Networking