How do I change the Admistrator in XP?

I just bought a demo laptop at Circuit City. I had already spent a day
installing data and programs when I realized that the administrative
account was named "Circuit City", using a directory

C:\Documents and Settings\Circuit City

I went into "User Accounts" on the control panel and changed the name
there, but was told I couldn't change the name of the directory. Some
programs are still picking up "Circuit City" as the user name from
somewhere. Is there anyway, short of a complete scrub and reinstall, to
fix this? Can I set up a new user (me) and make that the Computer
administrator?

Cyril N. Alberga
4 answers Last reply
More about change admistrator

    The easiest way is to create a new profile named as you want and copy the
    data from the old to new profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
    After the new profile is created, you must log into it at least once before
    attempting to copy the data to the new profile.

    BUT, since this computer is new to you, you should start over with the
    recovery disks.
    That will eliminate any garbage left over and help ensure you a cleaner
    system.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Cyril N. Alberga" <calberga@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
    >I just bought a demo laptop at Circuit City. I had already spent a day
    >installing data and programs when I realized that the administrative
    >account was named "Circuit City", using a directory
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Circuit City
    >
    > I went into "User Accounts" on the control panel and changed the name
    > there, but was told I couldn't change the name of the directory. Some
    > programs are still picking up "Circuit City" as the user name from
    > somewhere. Is there anyway, short of a complete scrub and reinstall, to
    > fix this? Can I set up a new user (me) and make that the Computer
    > administrator?
    >
    > Cyril N. Alberga

    Hi,

    Create a new Administrator account and move any data files needed to
    it. And after you are satisfied you are not missing anything, delete
    the old administrator account from within the new account.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Cyril N. Alberga wrote:
    > I just bought a demo laptop at Circuit City. I had already spent a day
    > installing data and programs when I realized that the administrative
    > account was named "Circuit City", using a directory
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Circuit City
    >
    > I went into "User Accounts" on the control panel and changed the name
    > there, but was told I couldn't change the name of the directory. Some
    > programs are still picking up "Circuit City" as the user name from
    > somewhere. Is there anyway, short of a complete scrub and reinstall, to
    > fix this? Can I set up a new user (me) and make that the Computer
    > administrator?
    >
    > Cyril N. Alberga

    To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

    and:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\RegisteredOrganization

    How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    it only during installation.

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    MSAcme (setup for older MS applications) reads it ONCE period. The first program installed using MSAcme (and some Windows components used it like 98's Batch Setup) reads the RegOwner key and transfer it to a MSAcme key for subsequent installs.

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message news:eXL6nmsdFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Cyril N. Alberga wrote:
    >> I just bought a demo laptop at Circuit City. I had already spent a day
    >> installing data and programs when I realized that the administrative
    >> account was named "Circuit City", using a directory
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Circuit City
    >>
    >> I went into "User Accounts" on the control panel and changed the name
    >> there, but was told I couldn't change the name of the directory. Some
    >> programs are still picking up "Circuit City" as the user name from
    >> somewhere. Is there anyway, short of a complete scrub and reinstall, to
    >> fix this? Can I set up a new user (me) and make that the Computer
    >> administrator?
    >>
    >> Cyril N. Alberga
    >

    > To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    > you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner
    >
    > and:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    > Version\RegisteredOrganization
    >
    > How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    > applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    > read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    > it only during installation.
    >
    > The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    > _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    > So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    > Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    > desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
    >
    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >
    > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you: