File Open Error

I posted this on the "microsoft.public.word.application.errors" news group
and didn't get any answers. So I thought it might be an XP issue. Some of my
Word 2000 files (In Win XP Home) open fine but some give me an
error message saying:

" The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions:
*Check file permissions for the document or drive
*Use file open dialog box to locate the document "

One of the documentsis one I just created two days ago and now I can't open
it. I
created a test document and saved it to the same folder and I can open it
just fine. Any suggestions?
3 answers Last reply
More about file open error

    You receive a "The document name or path is not valid" error message when
    you try to open or save a document in Word 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224016

    You receive a "This file could not be found" or "The document name or path
    is not valid" error message when you open an HTML document in Word 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229426

    How to recover text from any document in Word 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;212274

    [[When you try to open a Word document, the document is not opened, and you
    receive the following error message:
    The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
    * Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
    (path\file_name)

    You receive this error message when you try to open an encrypted Word 2002
    document that has an encryption level that is not supported in Word 2000. ]]

    See WORKAROUND
    You receive an error message when you try to open or replace a Word 2003
    document.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813980/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uhxiaXndFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    AWJ <ajury@nbnet.nb.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > I posted this on the "microsoft.public.word.application.errors" news group
    > and didn't get any answers. So I thought it might be an XP issue. Some of
    > my Word 2000 files (In Win XP Home) open fine but some give me an
    > error message saying:
    >
    > " The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions:
    > *Check file permissions for the document or drive
    > *Use file open dialog box to locate the document "
    >
    > One of the documentsis one I just created two days ago and now I can't
    > open it. I
    > created a test document and saved it to the same folder and I can open it
    > just fine. Any suggestions?

    No I tried the only solution that applied and it didn't work. One thing I
    didn't say is th files were restored using MS RESTORE feature. Could that be
    the problem?
    > You receive a "The document name or path is not valid" error message when
    > you try to open or save a document in Word 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224016
    >
    > You receive a "This file could not be found" or "The document name or path
    > is not valid" error message when you open an HTML document in Word 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229426
    >
    > How to recover text from any document in Word 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;212274
    >
    > [[When you try to open a Word document, the document is not opened, and
    > you
    > receive the following error message:
    > The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    > * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
    > * Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
    > (path\file_name)
    >
    > You receive this error message when you try to open an encrypted Word 2002
    > document that has an encryption level that is not supported in Word
    > 2000. ]]
    >
    > See WORKAROUND
    > You receive an error message when you try to open or replace a Word 2003
    > document.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813980/
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:uhxiaXndFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > AWJ <ajury@nbnet.nb.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >> I posted this on the "microsoft.public.word.application.errors" news
    >> group
    >> and didn't get any answers. So I thought it might be an XP issue. Some of
    >> my Word 2000 files (In Win XP Home) open fine but some give me an
    >> error message saying:
    >>
    >> " The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions:
    >> *Check file permissions for the document or drive
    >> *Use file open dialog box to locate the document "
    >>
    >> One of the documentsis one I just created two days ago and now I can't
    >> open it. I
    >> created a test document and saved it to the same folder and I can open it
    >> just fine. Any suggestions?

    MS RESTORE feature??

    What solution that applied?

    Do you mean System Restore?

    Did you...
    *Check file permissions for the document or drive

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
    folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    *Use file open dialog box to locate the document

    Open Word | Ctrl key + O key | In the Look in list, click the drive, folder,
    or Internet location that contains the file you want to open. | In the
    folder list, locate and open the folder that contains the file. | Click the
    file, and then click Open.

    How to recover text from any files by using the "Recover Text from Any File"
    converter of Word 2002 and Word 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290946/

    How to recover text from any document in Word 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;212274

    WD97: How to Recover Text from Any File
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156573/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ePRFugsdFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    AWJ <ajury@nbnet.nb.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > No I tried the only solution that applied and it didn't work. One thing I
    > didn't say is th files were restored using MS RESTORE feature. Could that
    > be the problem?
    >> You receive a "The document name or path is not valid" error message when
    >> you try to open or save a document in Word 2000
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224016
    >>
    >> You receive a "This file could not be found" or "The document name or
    >> path is not valid" error message when you open an HTML document in Word
    >> 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229426
    >>
    >> How to recover text from any document in Word 2000
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;212274
    >>
    >> [[When you try to open a Word document, the document is not opened, and
    >> you
    >> receive the following error message:
    >> The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    >> * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
    >> * Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
    >> (path\file_name)
    >>
    >> You receive this error message when you try to open an encrypted Word
    >> 2002 document that has an encryption level that is not supported in Word
    >> 2000. ]]
    >>
    >> See WORKAROUND
    >> You receive an error message when you try to open or replace a Word 2003
    >> document.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813980/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:uhxiaXndFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> AWJ <ajury@nbnet.nb.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I posted this on the "microsoft.public.word.application.errors" news
    >>> group
    >>> and didn't get any answers. So I thought it might be an XP issue. Some
    >>> of my Word 2000 files (In Win XP Home) open fine but some give me an
    >>> error message saying:
    >>>
    >>> " The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions:
    >>> *Check file permissions for the document or drive
    >>> *Use file open dialog box to locate the document "
    >>>
    >>> One of the documentsis one I just created two days ago and now I can't
    >>> open it. I
    >>> created a test document and saved it to the same folder and I can open
    >>> it just fine. Any suggestions?

Document Microsoft Windows XP