Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

File Open Error

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:28:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I posted this on the "microsoft.public.word.application.errors" news group
and didn't get any answers. So I thought it might be an XP issue. Some of my
Word 2000 files (In Win XP Home) open fine but some give me an
error message saying:

" The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions:
*Check file permissions for the document or drive
*Use file open dialog box to locate the document "

One of the documentsis one I just created two days ago and now I can't open
it. I
created a test document and saved it to the same folder and I can open it
just fine. Any suggestions?

More about : file open error

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:28:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You receive a "The document name or path is not valid" error message when
you try to open or save a document in Word 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224016

You receive a "This file could not be found" or "The document name or path
is not valid" error message when you open an HTML document in Word 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229426

How to recover text from any document in Word 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;212274

[[When you try to open a Word document, the document is not opened, and you
receive the following error message:
The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
* Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
(path\file_name)

You receive this error message when you try to open an encrypted Word 2002
document that has an encryption level that is not supported in Word 2000. ]]

See WORKAROUND
You receive an error message when you try to open or replace a Word 2003
document.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813980/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uhxiaXndFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
AWJ <ajury@nbnet.nb.ca> hunted and pecked:
> I posted this on the "microsoft.public.word.application.errors" news group
> and didn't get any answers. So I thought it might be an XP issue. Some of
> my Word 2000 files (In Win XP Home) open fine but some give me an
> error message saying:
>
> " The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions:
> *Check file permissions for the document or drive
> *Use file open dialog box to locate the document "
>
> One of the documentsis one I just created two days ago and now I can't
> open it. I
> created a test document and saved it to the same folder and I can open it
> just fine. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:17:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

No I tried the only solution that applied and it didn't work. One thing I
didn't say is th files were restored using MS RESTORE feature. Could that be
the problem?
"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ek32FFodFHA.3452@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You receive a "The document name or path is not valid" error message when
> you try to open or save a document in Word 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224016
>
> You receive a "This file could not be found" or "The document name or path
> is not valid" error message when you open an HTML document in Word 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229426
>
> How to recover text from any document in Word 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;212274
>
> [[When you try to open a Word document, the document is not opened, and
> you
> receive the following error message:
> The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
> * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
> * Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
> (path\file_name)
>
> You receive this error message when you try to open an encrypted Word 2002
> document that has an encryption level that is not supported in Word
> 2000. ]]
>
> See WORKAROUND
> You receive an error message when you try to open or replace a Word 2003
> document.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813980/
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uhxiaXndFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> AWJ <ajury@nbnet.nb.ca> hunted and pecked:
>> I posted this on the "microsoft.public.word.application.errors" news
>> group
>> and didn't get any answers. So I thought it might be an XP issue. Some of
>> my Word 2000 files (In Win XP Home) open fine but some give me an
>> error message saying:
>>
>> " The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions:
>> *Check file permissions for the document or drive
>> *Use file open dialog box to locate the document "
>>
>> One of the documentsis one I just created two days ago and now I can't
>> open it. I
>> created a test document and saved it to the same folder and I can open it
>> just fine. Any suggestions?
>
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:44:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

MS RESTORE feature??

What solution that applied?

Do you mean System Restore?

Did you...
*Check file permissions for the document or drive

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

*Use file open dialog box to locate the document

Open Word | Ctrl key + O key | In the Look in list, click the drive, folder,
or Internet location that contains the file you want to open. | In the
folder list, locate and open the folder that contains the file. | Click the
file, and then click Open.

How to recover text from any files by using the "Recover Text from Any File"
converter of Word 2002 and Word 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290946/

How to recover text from any document in Word 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;212274

WD97: How to Recover Text from Any File
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156573/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ePRFugsdFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
AWJ <ajury@nbnet.nb.ca> hunted and pecked:
> No I tried the only solution that applied and it didn't work. One thing I
> didn't say is th files were restored using MS RESTORE feature. Could that
> be the problem?
> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:ek32FFodFHA.3452@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> You receive a "The document name or path is not valid" error message when
>> you try to open or save a document in Word 2000
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224016
>>
>> You receive a "This file could not be found" or "The document name or
>> path is not valid" error message when you open an HTML document in Word
>> 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229426
>>
>> How to recover text from any document in Word 2000
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;212274
>>
>> [[When you try to open a Word document, the document is not opened, and
>> you
>> receive the following error message:
>> The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
>> * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
>> * Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
>> (path\file_name)
>>
>> You receive this error message when you try to open an encrypted Word
>> 2002 document that has an encryption level that is not supported in Word
>> 2000. ]]
>>
>> See WORKAROUND
>> You receive an error message when you try to open or replace a Word 2003
>> document.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813980/
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uhxiaXndFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> AWJ <ajury@nbnet.nb.ca> hunted and pecked:
>>> I posted this on the "microsoft.public.word.application.errors" news
>>> group
>>> and didn't get any answers. So I thought it might be an XP issue. Some
>>> of my Word 2000 files (In Win XP Home) open fine but some give me an
>>> error message saying:
>>>
>>> " The document name or path is invalid. Try these suggestions:
>>> *Check file permissions for the document or drive
>>> *Use file open dialog box to locate the document "
>>>
>>> One of the documentsis one I just created two days ago and now I can't
>>> open it. I
>>> created a test document and saved it to the same folder and I can open
>>> it just fine. Any suggestions?
!