Zip drive assigned drive letter C: on windows install

I recently formatted my HD and reinstalled WinXP Home (NTFS). On completion
I found in " My Computer" that my Internal zip drive has been assigned drive
letter C: and my HD has been assigned F:.

Why the hell Windows XP did this I do not know, there was no zip disk in the
drive during installation. Consequently, some programs are behaving
erratically and some are not installing at all, depending on how well
written they were in coping with a system disk other than C:.

Is there any way I can make my F: drive a C: without reinstalling windows? I
have tried physically removing the zip drive and rebooting to no avail.

Thanks

Paul
3 answers Last reply
More about drive assigned drive letter windows install

    If you have any storage devices (that are formatted) connected when you
    install Windows your system drive may not end up being the C: drive. This is
    a cosmetic issue and not a problem. The only way to change it is to
    disconnect any storage devices other than the boot drive, delete all
    partitions on that drive, do a clean install of Windows. You will loose all
    your data and programs, make sure you have backups. You cannot use an image
    backup as the registry will still point to the old drive E:. It is probably
    not worth all the work for a cosmetic issue.
    --
    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.fast-rewind.com

    "Paul H" wrote:

    > I recently formatted my HD and reinstalled WinXP Home (NTFS). On completion
    > I found in " My Computer" that my Internal zip drive has been assigned drive
    > letter C: and my HD has been assigned F:.
    >
    > Why the hell Windows XP did this I do not know, there was no zip disk in the
    > drive during installation. Consequently, some programs are behaving
    > erratically and some are not installing at all, depending on how well
    > written they were in coping with a system disk other than C:.
    >
    > Is there any way I can make my F: drive a C: without reinstalling windows? I
    > have tried physically removing the zip drive and rebooting to no avail.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    You do not need to physically remove your zip drive. Just disconnect the
    data and power cables. In that all your system files are now in oblivion,
    you'll need to reformat and reinstall XP on your harddrive (C). Make sure
    that you first disconnect printers, cameras and scanners before doing this.
    The only peripherals connected should be monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    Clean Installation XP
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    Paul H <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    > Consequently, some programs are behaving
    > erratically and some are not installing at all, depending on how well
    > written they were in coping with a system disk other than C:.

    Then you have some pretty old programs. They SHOULD work just fine,
    complain to their maker if they don't.

Zip Disk Windows XP