Zip drive assigned drive letter C: on windows install

June 21, 2005 7:55:48 PM

I recently formatted my HD and reinstalled WinXP Home (NTFS). On completion
I found in " My Computer" that my Internal zip drive has been assigned drive
letter C: and my HD has been assigned F:.

Why the hell Windows XP did this I do not know, there was no zip disk in the
drive during installation. Consequently, some programs are behaving
erratically and some are not installing at all, depending on how well
written they were in coping with a system disk other than C:.

Is there any way I can make my F: drive a C: without reinstalling windows? I
have tried physically removing the zip drive and rebooting to no avail.

Thanks

Paul

More about : zip drive assigned drive letter windows install

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 7:55:49 PM

If you have any storage devices (that are formatted) connected when you
install Windows your system drive may not end up being the C: drive. This is
a cosmetic issue and not a problem. The only way to change it is to
disconnect any storage devices other than the boot drive, delete all
partitions on that drive, do a clean install of Windows. You will loose all
your data and programs, make sure you have backups. You cannot use an image
backup as the registry will still point to the old drive E:. It is probably
not worth all the work for a cosmetic issue.
--
---------------------------------------
http://www.fast-rewind.com

"Paul H" wrote:

> I recently formatted my HD and reinstalled WinXP Home (NTFS). On completion
> I found in " My Computer" that my Internal zip drive has been assigned drive
> letter C: and my HD has been assigned F:.
>
> Why the hell Windows XP did this I do not know, there was no zip disk in the
> drive during installation. Consequently, some programs are behaving
> erratically and some are not installing at all, depending on how well
> written they were in coping with a system disk other than C:.
>
> Is there any way I can make my F: drive a C: without reinstalling windows? I
> have tried physically removing the zip drive and rebooting to no avail.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

June 21, 2005 7:55:49 PM

You do not need to physically remove your zip drive. Just disconnect the
data and power cables. In that all your system files are now in oblivion,
you'll need to reformat and reinstall XP on your harddrive (C). Make sure
that you first disconnect printers, cameras and scanners before doing this.
The only peripherals connected should be monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Clean Installation XP
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Paul H" wrote:

> I recently formatted my HD and reinstalled WinXP Home (NTFS). On completion
> I found in " My Computer" that my Internal zip drive has been assigned drive
> letter C: and my HD has been assigned F:.
>
> Why the hell Windows XP did this I do not know, there was no zip disk in the
> drive during installation. Consequently, some programs are behaving
> erratically and some are not installing at all, depending on how well
> written they were in coping with a system disk other than C:.
>
> Is there any way I can make my F: drive a C: without reinstalling windows? I
> have tried physically removing the zip drive and rebooting to no avail.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

June 21, 2005 9:35:20 PM

Paul H <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> Consequently, some programs are behaving
> erratically and some are not installing at all, depending on how well
> written they were in coping with a system disk other than C:.

Then you have some pretty old programs. They SHOULD work just fine,
complain to their maker if they don't.
!