confused about Ebay item with no OS

Last response: in Computer Brands
April 2, 2005 5:57:22 PM

I'm confused. There is a notebook offered on EBAY. Part of descriptions
says:

Operating System: Ready to install your favorite operating system. We
offer FREE Support & include all Dell drivers

Description says it is ready to add my own OS. Does this mean it doesn't
come with one and I am FORCED to BUY say Windows XP??? Or can I use the disk
that came with my Dell Dim 2400 desktop to install XP?

MB

More about : confused ebay item

April 2, 2005 5:57:23 PM

1st thing. What model and specs is the laptop.
The auction DOES mean no OS.
Technically you can install the xp disk from the 2400 no problem.
LEGALLY I don't think so. Make sure the price is right.
A NEW laptop is under $700.00 with a warranty.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 11:52:56 PM

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
| I'm confused. There is a notebook offered on EBAY. Part of descriptions
| says:
|

| Operating System: Ready to install your favorite operating system.
We
| offer FREE Support & include all Dell drivers
|

| Description says it is ready to add my own OS. Does this mean it doesn't
| come with one and I am FORCED to BUY say Windows XP??? Or can I use the
disk
| that came with my Dell Dim 2400 desktop to install XP?
|
| MB

It's pretty clear...this is a laptop only...with no included OS or software.
Dell XP CDs are BIOS locked. They will only install on Dell systems. This
may be further limited to type of system. In your case, it's possible that
the Dell XP CD is BIOS locked to desktops only and will not necessarily
install on a Dell laptop. Check alt.sys.pc-clone.dell for more information.
Related resources
April 2, 2005 11:52:57 PM

Dell XP cd will install on ANY pc. The os WILL require activation on
non dell pc though. I am POSITIVE of this.
Dave
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:13:28 AM

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Dell XP cd will install on ANY pc. The os WILL require activation on
| non dell pc though. I am POSITIVE of this.
| Dave

OOPS! That is correct. And, for some reason, when I posted I thought I was
posting on another group...hence the reference to go look at this one.
Walking away now with my tail between my legs :-((
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:14:58 AM

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Dell XP cd will install on ANY pc. The os WILL require activation on
> non dell pc though. I am POSITIVE of this.
> Dave

True, but it is a license violation to do so. The Dell version of XP is TIED
legally to the machine with which it was sold. Period
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:22:25 AM

> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Dell XP cd will install on ANY pc. The os WILL require activation on
> > non dell pc though. I am POSITIVE of this.
> > Dave
> >

> True, but it is a license violation to do so. The Dell version of XP is
TIED
> legally to the machine with which it was sold. Period

Actually it's a MS registration thing - if you register XP, the MACHINE
is registered, and if you try to register another machine with the same OS
key, it will be rejected.
No comment about trying to run XP without registering it... You're on your
own there.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:22:26 AM

"Not Gimpy Anymore" <nospamREMOVplease@msn.net> wrote:

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote

>> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in

>> > Dell XP cd will install on ANY pc. The os WILL require activation on
>> > non dell pc though. I am POSITIVE of this.
>> > Dave

>> True, but it is a license violation to do so. The Dell version of XP is TIED
>> legally to the machine with which it was sold. Period

> Actually it's a MS registration thing - if you register XP, the MACHINE
>is registered, and if you try to register another machine with the same OS
>key, it will be rejected.
>No comment about trying to run XP without registering it... You're on your
>own there.

Actually, it's a WinXP OEM EULA thing, as quoted from the WinXP
OEM EULA:

"1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
conditions of this EULA:

* Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly
provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,
display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on
the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not
be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time
on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated
on the Certificate of Authenticity. You may permit a
maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers
or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect
to the COMPUTER to utilize the services of the SOFTWARE
solely for File and Print services, Internet Information
services, and remote access (including connection sharing
and telephony services). The ten (10) Connection Maximum
includes any indirect connections made through
"multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools
or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted
below, you may not use the Device to use, access, display
or run the SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE's
User Interface or other executable software residing
on the COMPUTER.

* Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS
LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED,
TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY
ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. The SOFTWARE
is licensed with the HARDWARE as a single integrated
product and may only be used with the HARDWARE. If the
SOFTWARE is not accompanied by new HARDWARE, you may
not use the SOFTWARE. You may permanently transfer all
of your rights under this EULA only as part of a
permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided
you retain no copies, if you transfer all of the SOFTWARE
(including all component parts, the media and printed
materials, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate
of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms
of this EULA. If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any
transfer must also include all prior versions of the
SOFTWARE."

The intent of the EULA is clear, the WinXP that came with my Dell
D4400 lives and dies on that Dell, and goes with it if I
sell/give it to anyone else.

While you are right, in that there are ways you can install it on
another computer, and even activate it on that other, non-Dell
computer, presumably using the Dell COA number and having taken
it off the original Dell/deactivated its registration, without MS
noticing, it is a violation of the EULA that you agreed to by
using it on the original Dell.

I'm not "telling" anyone what they should/should not do; just
saying that they should be aware of what they are doing when they
do it. In some circumstances, doing it with company computer
which is subject to software audits for example, the "I didn't
know I wasn't supposed to do that" defense may not save your
job.
--
OJ III
April 3, 2005 4:22:27 AM

OK, so when I bought an OEM version of XP for a system I built, I was
required to buy a power Y cable. So as long as I keep that copy XP with
that power Y cable I guess I'm OK on the license thing? No problemo!

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> another computer, and even activate it on that other, non-Dell
> computer, presumably using the Dell COA number and having taken
> it off the original Dell/deactivated its registration, without MS
> noticing, it is a violation of the EULA that you agreed to by
> using it on the original Dell.
>
> I'm not "telling" anyone what they should/should not do; just
> saying that they should be aware of what they are doing when they
> do it. In some circumstances, doing it with company computer
> which is subject to software audits for example, the "I didn't
> know I wasn't supposed to do that" defense may not save your
> job.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 6:27:26 AM

"Not Gimpy Anymore" <nospamREMOVplease@msn.net> wrote in message

>> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Dell XP cd will install on ANY pc. The os WILL require activation on
>> > non dell pc though. I am POSITIVE of this.
>> > Dave
>> >

>> True, but it is a license violation to do so. The Dell version of XP is
> TIED
>> legally to the machine with which it was sold. Period
>>
> Actually it's a MS registration thing - if you register XP, the MACHINE
> is registered, and if you try to register another machine with the same OS
> key, it will be rejected.
> No comment about trying to run XP without registering it... You're on your
> own there.

Doesn't have anything to do with registering. I think you mean activation,
but it is not that either. It is in the license agreement to which you must
agree to use the operating system.

The license is tied to the machine with which it was sold.

Tom
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 8:04:30 AM

Ask another important question of the seller: Does the system have a Windows
Certificate of Authentication (COA) attached? And, if so, for which version of
Windows? The presence of a legitimate and original COA on a system says that
you are entitled to install the operating system as it came with the computer.
HOW you do so is another question. But even with all the onerous Microsoft
wording in the EULA, I do not think they have a snowball's chance in hell of
proving that the OS running on a system with a matching COA is illegal.

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:57:22 -0500, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>I'm confused. There is a notebook offered on EBAY. Part of descriptions
>says:
>

> Operating System: Ready to install your favorite operating system. We
>offer FREE Support & include all Dell drivers
>

> Description says it is ready to add my own OS. Does this mean it doesn't
>come with one and I am FORCED to BUY say Windows XP??? Or can I use the disk
>that came with my Dell Dim 2400 desktop to install XP?
>
>MB

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:38:26 AM

Not if it is the early XP free upgrade disc that Dell sent out for ME
users. I have one here and it will ONLY install on a Dell.
Tried it a bunch of times just to be sure.

--
Steve Williams

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Dell XP cd will install on ANY pc. The os WILL require activation on
> non dell pc though. I am POSITIVE of this.
> Dave

April 4, 2005 5:08:41 PM

Actually that is not necessarily true.
The one I got installed just fine on an Acer
laptop(had a COA, but lost the CD).

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
> Not if it is the early XP free upgrade disc that Dell sent out for ME
> users. I have one here and it will ONLY install on a Dell.
> Tried it a bunch of times just to be sure.
>
> --
> Steve Williams
>
> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dell XP cd will install on ANY pc. The os WILL require activation on
>> non dell pc though. I am POSITIVE of this.
>> Dave

> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> 120,000+ Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 10:14:25 PM

MB_ wrote:
> I'm confused. There is a notebook offered on EBAY. Part of descriptions
> says:
>
> Operating System: Ready to install your favorite operating system. We
> offer FREE Support & include all Dell drivers
>
> Description says it is ready to add my own OS. Does this mean it doesn't
> come with one and I am FORCED to BUY say Windows XP??? Or can I use the disk
> that came with my Dell Dim 2400 desktop to install XP?

Seems pretty clear to me that the notebook comes without any OS at all.
The copy of XP from your Dell 2400 will probably install ok on the
notebook if that is a Dell also, although legally you should not do so.
You aren't FORCED to BUY anything, the seller is just setting out the
terms of his auction. If you want to buy a notebook with an OS included,
find another one.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:20:26 PM

wrote:

>I'm confused. There is a notebook offered on EBAY. Part of descriptions
>says:
>

> Operating System: Ready to install your favorite operating system. We
>offer FREE Support & include all Dell drivers

So ask the seller if he'll throw in a copy of W2K. Or don't you have
a 98 Cd lying around?
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
April 5, 2005 9:27:15 PM

The copy of the OS is only half the story. The other half is a (preferably)
legitimate Certificate of Authentication for the OS... Ben Myers

!