File or Directory C:$MFT is corrupt or unreadable. Run CHK..

June 21, 2005 1:46:11 PM

File or Directory C:\$MFT is corrupt or unreadable. Run CHKDSK /f.

Got this message on a WinXP Home SP2 box. I can't run chkdsk /f
because I'm using the disk (obviously) When I reboot however,
the system does it's own chkdsk but doesn't find any errors.
The message keeps coming back. I don't get any hits when I
search the KB. Any help would be most appreciated...

Jimmy
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:43:57 PM

Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"jfn" <jfn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C64E0BC1-2026-44AC-BF2E-F22A8A6927A3@microsoft.com...
> File or Directory C:\$MFT is corrupt or unreadable. Run CHKDSK /f.
>
> Got this message on a WinXP Home SP2 box. I can't run chkdsk /f
> because I'm using the disk (obviously) When I reboot however,
> the system does it's own chkdsk but doesn't find any errors.
> The message keeps coming back. I don't get any hits when I
> search the KB. Any help would be most appreciated...
>
> Jimmy
February 27, 2009 6:28:58 AM

I had a blue screen error message that said "unmountable boot volume" during bootup. I installed the drive as a second hard drive in another PC with the same operating system and got the error message:"\$bitmap file or folder is corrupt and unreadable" and "c:\$MFT is corrupt or unreadable. Run CHKDSK /f." I booted the XP setup CD and went to the recover console and ran chkdsk.

Now the hard drive is readable. Prior to this problem, I've had two occurrences in which I could not boot into Windows. In these occurrences, I also installed the hard drive as a second hard drive into a second working PC. That operating system automatically ran some sort of chkdsk function during boot up and fixed the hard drive. Now I'm wondering if the the original problem is that the hard drive is about to fail. Should I take the opportunity to replace the hard drive before it completely fails?

Quote:

Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"jfn" <jfn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C64E0BC1-2026-44AC-BF2E-F22A8A6927A3@microsoft.com...
> File or Directory C:\$MFT is corrupt or unreadable. Run CHKDSK /f.
>
> Got this message on a WinXP Home SP2 box. I can't run chkdsk /f
> because I'm using the disk (obviously) When I reboot however,
> the system does it's own chkdsk but doesn't find any errors.
> The message keeps coming back. I don't get any hits when I
> search the KB. Any help would be most appreciated...
>
> Jimmy

Anonymous
February 27, 2009 9:37:46 AM

Download and run the diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer's web-site.

Grumpy