Sign in with
Your question

Acer aspire 5349 Keeps shutting off, but the cpu is not overheating.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 1, 2012 7:54:45 PM

Hello,
I have an Acer Aspire 5349. It acts like the cpu is overheating and shuts down. Reseated heatsink, and cleaned fan. Same results. Bought new fan and heatsink. Initially ran for three hours, then when I installed updates, it shut down. Monitored CPU heat and usage with "CoreTemp", no significant heat up even with multiple tasks running. I'm at a loss. Pretty sure that its a heat issue because when it first started to appear I stuck the whole laptop in the fridge and it ran for hours.
a c 117 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2012 9:22:31 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
You might check your power brick - it may be the culprit here, make sure it's not getting too hot. If you have a multimeter, you can check the output voltage of the power brick also.
When you say it acts like it's overheating, do you mean you can hear the fan(s) louder before shut down? If you try to start it right away after shut down, what happens?
m
l
November 2, 2012 11:35:41 AM

Thanks, When I say it acts like it's overheating, it's because of the instant shutdown. Like it goes into the cpu protection mode. If I restart it, it may run for a couple of minutes, or it may be a few seconds. I spent a countless amount of time without the cover on trying to find the "hot" component. Absolutely none found. No hot spots on the board at all. Fan operates at the same speed, no matter what. Will take a look at the voltage, but there is certainly no overheating there. Initially thought that the HDD might be the problem, but removed that and the system still shut down just while BIOS running.
m
l
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 12:56:59 PM

If it's not the power brick itself, the issue may be with the internal power distribution - let's hope it's the brick (easier to replace)... It does sound very much like a power issue.
m
l
November 2, 2012 1:09:58 PM

Should have added, that can't be the power brick, as I have used 3 different ones. Just tried it again an hour ago, lasted all of three minutes, then wouldn't even go for a second. One or two times couldn't even get the power button to illuminate the front power light. Possibly the Power Switch module? I put it back in the fridge, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then turned it on. Been running ever since. Got to be something overheating.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 1:23:03 PM

Could also be a failing power jack (it would fit the symptoms). Try moving the power connector around at the laptop - does the battery charging indicator light go off and/or on when wiggled.
m
l
November 2, 2012 1:42:09 PM

No, nothing with the wiggle. Seems pretty tight. When it has gone down in the past, it has never been with the laptop, or the power cord being disturbed. Still going strong in the fridge.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 2:21:55 PM

I don't know if this is going to help (or if you already have it) but I did find the Service Guide for your computer here (just have to scroll down a bit on the page)
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Acer%20Computers/Aspire-5349...
on page 3-37 it describes the power board removal (which incidently is right above below?) the power jack - doesn't look too difficult if you've already dove in before - I'm highly suspicious of that part at the moment. I don't know if you have a way to test it or if it's cheap enough to simply replace and hope.
I am at a loss, but as I said, I'm fairly convinced it is a power and not a heat issue - it's the lack of a BSOD or irregular shutdown message that has me more focused on power here.
EDIT: What about the battery, does it get hot while charging - it might get warm, that's normal but hot would be bad also.
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:45:22 PM

Don't have the manual, but thanks for the link. Just removed the power board, basically it's just a momentary switch, so I just quickly jumped across the leads on the ribbon cable after disconnecting it from the board. System started up, then as usual it shut down right after Booting (actually it usually makes it to windows sign in). Have not even been using a battery, just the power pack. Expect you are right on the power issue, most likely something with the distrubition on the MB.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
November 2, 2012 3:02:25 PM

Sailfish572 said:
...most likely something with the distrubition on the MB.

That's the conclusion I'm at also
Maybe you can find something I overlooked in the Service Manual ...maybe?
I was so looking forward to a good conclusion here.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:36:17 PM

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like not so lucky. Not worth the cost of a new MB. Will keep plugging along as time permts. Guessing you didn't miss much in the manual as most of their troubleshooting ends with * Replace Main Board. Thanks again, will post if I have any luck.
m
l
January 12, 2014 7:31:12 PM

Dear Sailfish572,
I too have an Acer Aspire that keeps shutting down instantly. But I found that if you change the battery plan to Power Saver, it lasts for ages.

Hope this helps you, NitroNino
m
l
April 3, 2014 3:58:41 AM

Sailfish572 said:
Thanks, When I say it acts like it's overheating, it's because of the instant shutdown. Like it goes into the cpu protection mode. If I restart it, it may run for a couple of minutes, or it may be a few seconds. I spent a countless amount of time without the cover on trying to find the "hot" component. Absolutely none found. No hot spots on the board at all. Fan operates at the same speed, no matter what. Will take a look at the voltage, but there is certainly no overheating there. Initially thought that the HDD might be the problem, but removed that and the system still shut down just while BIOS running.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?
m
l
!