Sign in with
Your question

Refresh rate override in ATI drivers?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2005 10:34:03 PM

I have been using the nVidia TNT2 card for a VERY long time - too long in fact. I am thinking of changing over to an ATi Radeon 9600 or 9550 card (depending on which one people think is better running at native speed, I'm not into overclocking it yet) but there was one thing that I can't find in the ATi Catalyst drivers

When rebuilding my mates PC and installing his All in Wonder Radeon 9200 I noticed that the catalyst drivers did not contain a refresh rate override section like the Forceware drivers on the nVidia card did. For those not acquinted with nVidia's new Forceware drivers, this feature meant that I didn't have to endure the horrid 65hz refresh rate while using 3D applications as I could go into the control panel and specify the refresh rate at which each setting ran although admittedly you did have to know what your monitor was capable of as it doesn't filter out unsuitable modes. This meant that I could play games at 640 x 480 at 120hz, 800 x 600 at 100hz and 1024x 768 at 85hz, resulting a stable picture which didn't give me any headaches.

With ATi cards where can I access a similar option within ATi's control panel. I don't want to have a migrane everytime I play games.

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2005 1:03:24 AM

In Windows you can control it in the Display properties.

July 23, 2005 9:30:20 PM

I know you can control the refresh rate of the desktop or 2D applications through the display properties, every card lets you do that.

I am on about controlling the refresh rate of 3D applications such as Direct 3D or OpenGL games, which are totally independant of the refresh rates in Windows and wish to resort to 65hz even when on 640 x 480, even though every monitor can handle at least 85hz at 640 x 480. nVidia's Forceware drivers let you override the refresh rate of Direct3D or OpenGL applications but ATi's catalyst do not seem to have such a feature - is this true? Can those with catalyst drivers confirm that I won't get to override the refresh rate in 3D Applications or is there a way of doing it?

Just to reitterate for those not familiar, 3D refresh rates are totally different from 2D refresh rates and by default all 3D applications will run at 65hz even on 19in monitors with the resolution at 640 x 480 (that is unless you have the nvidia forceware drivers where you can override the refresh rates) :) 

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP
!