Opinion wanted: Atari B&W Raster games

Last response: in Video Games
August 20, 2005 4:45:41 AM

I am a huge fan of old Atari B&W raster games from 1974 to 1978. My
question is there a market for these type of games? I would like to
restore games and repair the boards and make a decent profit to help me
continue the restorations. I am unsure if anyone would be interested
in these games and I do not want to put time and money into something
no one will want. What do you guys think? Let me know.
August 20, 2005 12:56:19 PM

Watch ebay's completed listings in the arcade section and I think that will
answer your question. I love the B&W Atari's too and have a handful. I
would say you're coming in on a time where "decent profit" is harder to get
if thats the intent. People like myself have to approach it as a fun
activity. If money is the motivation, I'd look into pins.

tim (NH)

"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am a huge fan of old Atari B&W raster games from 1974 to 1978. My
> question is there a market for these type of games? I would like to
> restore games and repair the boards and make a decent profit to help me
> continue the restorations. I am unsure if anyone would be interested
> in these games and I do not want to put time and money into something
> no one will want. What do you guys think? Let me know.

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:56:56 PM

I think the retail market is limitied for B&W games, we get very few
requests for them. I would think there would be some market for board
repair for collectors, but most collectors I know do not collect B&W games.

Its a shame as there are some really cool B&W games out there that just get
left behind as the resale market is limited and space is always an issue for
most people.

Just my thoughts.

--
Anthony Pietrak
www.QuarterArcade.com

"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am a huge fan of old Atari B&W raster games from 1974 to 1978. My
> question is there a market for these type of games? I would like to
> restore games and repair the boards and make a decent profit to help me
> continue the restorations. I am unsure if anyone would be interested
> in these games and I do not want to put time and money into something
> no one will want. What do you guys think? Let me know.

August 20, 2005 1:14:44 PM

There is a market for B&W games but it really depends on the game. A
perfect example is a Canyon Bomber. The parts have always sold high and
even though no one asks for one, alot of people would like to have one.
I saw a mint SUBS on ebay about 3 months ago and even though it was
great collector piece it definatly wasnt worth what the seller wanted.
I do like to play my games and to spend 1K on a shitty game makes no
sence. In the same breath a working Sea Wolf in mint condition would
bring around $750 and the game play is WAY better than a SUBS.

great B&W games:
Canyon Bomber <-- my fav
sea wolf series
Tank
StarShip1
Bazooka <-- my fav
BiPlane series
Destroyer
Flying Fortress
Knights In Armor
Laguna Racer Midway
LeMans
Pong Tron Sega
Red Baron Atari
FireONE !
Robot Bowl Exidy
Space Fever Nintendo
Space Race Atari <-- my fav
Spike Kee Games
Sprint series
Tank series
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 3:50:37 PM

Fire One is not a B&W game =\ Cool none the less.

- Matt
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:26:00 PM

There is a die hard bunch of European collectors who value the
contributions made by the 70's BW classics. I have many fond memories
of bunking off school and sneaking into the arcades of London just to
pop pennies into them, along with various BW vectors like Rip-Off. They
might not be worth Robotron money, but I've spent past 5 yrs stashing
away no end of BW classics and spare monitors! Heres my proud list of
BW classics :-

Asteroid (not the one with an 's' ...), working
Avalanche, working
Barricade 4 player sit-down, dead at moment,
Boot hill, working
Breakout, working
Challenge Pong cocktail, working
Circus by Exidy, working
Clowns by Midway, working
Computer space - blue, mint, working.
Dominos, Atari, working
Missile X, Taito, untested
Night Driver, working
Pong, working
Quadrapong - cocktail, working
Space Invaders, taito, working
Space Race, not rebuilt yet
Super Breakout, working
Warlords upright, mint, working all the way.

Arch.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 10:15:31 PM

>Except by Mint you mean completely restored from a damaged carcasss :p  >

.... here we go :(

You make out it was a rotting pile of unrecognisable bits !!

The 2nd picture in the following sequence shows its original state. Not
bad for 30 yrs old. And it was more or less working.

http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/archuk/computer_space_res...

And I'm well pleased with the outcome of the restoration .. back to
mint shape :)
arch
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:01:45 AM

"Anonymous User" wrote:
>There is a die hard bunch of European collectors who value the
>contributions made by the 70's BW classics. I have many fond memories
>of bunking off school and sneaking into the arcades of London just to
>pop pennies into them, along with various BW vectors like Rip-Off. They
>might not be worth Robotron money, but I've spent past 5 yrs stashing
>away no end of BW classics and spare monitors! Heres my proud list of
>BW classics :-
[snip
>Computer space - blue, mint, working.
[snip]
>Arch.

Except by Mint you mean completely restored from a damaged carcasss :p

I run the Bronzeage mailing list on yahoogroups.com, there's hardly any
traffic, there's a whole bunch of collectors, but we all know we can
pick up pcbs and parts fairly cheap, they're not easy to find, but
filtering ebay makes the job easy as stuff does eventually turn up
except if you're after the really rare stuff which only turns up once
every couple of years, when it does, its not often all that expensive
anyway as nobody has heard of it, or wants it :)  I would think going
into the repair of said pcbs while easy, will not be profitable. The b/w
pcbs i fix for other people always tend to be for trades/favours, never
for hard cash, there's just no point, nobody will pay it :)

I have a huge pcb collection of atari 1970's games, i only need 5 or 6
to complete the set, i'm now turning my attention to building an
exhibition 'wall' of games, where each one will have its own controls
and screen, where the pcb is visible and the game is playable.. Of
course, this takes up far less room than owning all the original
machines which i couldn't possibly hope to house :)  I hope to show it as
an exhibit in its own right, or part of a larger collection, to promote
the world of TTL games that has long been forgotten.

Andy Welburn
www.andys-arcade.com

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

What are the 5 or 6 you need?? I also have a large collection of b/w pcb's.
Also got a few other parts as well :)
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:54:12 AM

Atari/Kee PCBs Wanted:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- Super Pong (official factory mod if possible)
- Elimination!
- Touch Me (yes, i know its not a video)
- Gotcha
- Sprint 8
- Tank 8
- Pool Shark

I have all the others... let me know if you can fill any gaps.

Andy Welburn
www.andys-arcade.com

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:07:26 AM

Problem is that they have a very small collector base. The gameplay is so
simplistic (many times its the exact same gameplay as the atari 2600) that
very few people wish to collect them. I do admit most of the cabinets look
very cool.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!