Opinion wanted: Atari B&W Raster games

I am a huge fan of old Atari B&W raster games from 1974 to 1978. My
question is there a market for these type of games? I would like to
restore games and repair the boards and make a decent profit to help me
continue the restorations. I am unsure if anyone would be interested
in these games and I do not want to put time and money into something
no one will want. What do you guys think? Let me know.
10 answers Last reply
More about opinion wanted atari raster games

    Watch ebay's completed listings in the arcade section and I think that will
    answer your question. I love the B&W Atari's too and have a handful. I
    would say you're coming in on a time where "decent profit" is harder to get
    if thats the intent. People like myself have to approach it as a fun
    activity. If money is the motivation, I'd look into pins.

    tim (NH)

    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am a huge fan of old Atari B&W raster games from 1974 to 1978. My
    > question is there a market for these type of games? I would like to
    > restore games and repair the boards and make a decent profit to help me
    > continue the restorations. I am unsure if anyone would be interested
    > in these games and I do not want to put time and money into something
    > no one will want. What do you guys think? Let me know.

    I think the retail market is limitied for B&W games, we get very few
    requests for them. I would think there would be some market for board
    repair for collectors, but most collectors I know do not collect B&W games.

    Its a shame as there are some really cool B&W games out there that just get
    left behind as the resale market is limited and space is always an issue for
    most people.

    Just my thoughts.

    --
    Anthony Pietrak
    www.QuarterArcade.com

    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I am a huge fan of old Atari B&W raster games from 1974 to 1978. My
    > question is there a market for these type of games? I would like to
    > restore games and repair the boards and make a decent profit to help me
    > continue the restorations. I am unsure if anyone would be interested
    > in these games and I do not want to put time and money into something
    > no one will want. What do you guys think? Let me know.

    There is a market for B&W games but it really depends on the game. A
    perfect example is a Canyon Bomber. The parts have always sold high and
    even though no one asks for one, alot of people would like to have one.
    I saw a mint SUBS on ebay about 3 months ago and even though it was
    great collector piece it definatly wasnt worth what the seller wanted.
    I do like to play my games and to spend 1K on a shitty game makes no
    sence. In the same breath a working Sea Wolf in mint condition would
    bring around $750 and the game play is WAY better than a SUBS.

    great B&W games:
    Canyon Bomber <-- my fav
    sea wolf series
    Tank
    StarShip1
    Bazooka <-- my fav
    BiPlane series
    Destroyer
    Flying Fortress
    Knights In Armor
    Laguna Racer Midway
    LeMans
    Pong Tron Sega
    Red Baron Atari
    FireONE !
    Robot Bowl Exidy
    Space Fever Nintendo
    Space Race Atari <-- my fav
    Spike Kee Games
    Sprint series
    Tank series

    Fire One is not a B&W game =\ Cool none the less.

    - Matt

    There is a die hard bunch of European collectors who value the
    contributions made by the 70's BW classics. I have many fond memories
    of bunking off school and sneaking into the arcades of London just to
    pop pennies into them, along with various BW vectors like Rip-Off. They
    might not be worth Robotron money, but I've spent past 5 yrs stashing
    away no end of BW classics and spare monitors! Heres my proud list of
    BW classics :-

    Asteroid (not the one with an 's' ...), working
    Avalanche, working
    Barricade 4 player sit-down, dead at moment,
    Boot hill, working
    Breakout, working
    Challenge Pong cocktail, working
    Circus by Exidy, working
    Clowns by Midway, working
    Computer space - blue, mint, working.
    Dominos, Atari, working
    Missile X, Taito, untested
    Night Driver, working
    Pong, working
    Quadrapong - cocktail, working
    Space Invaders, taito, working
    Space Race, not rebuilt yet
    Super Breakout, working
    Warlords upright, mint, working all the way.

    Arch.

    >Except by Mint you mean completely restored from a damaged carcasss :P >

    .... here we go :(

    You make out it was a rotting pile of unrecognisable bits !!

    The 2nd picture in the following sequence shows its original state. Not
    bad for 30 yrs old. And it was more or less working.

    http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/archuk/computer_space_restoration.html

    And I'm well pleased with the outcome of the restoration .. back to
    mint shape :)
    arch
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "Anonymous User" wrote:
    >There is a die hard bunch of European collectors who value the
    >contributions made by the 70's BW classics. I have many fond memories
    >of bunking off school and sneaking into the arcades of London just to
    >pop pennies into them, along with various BW vectors like Rip-Off. They
    >might not be worth Robotron money, but I've spent past 5 yrs stashing
    >away no end of BW classics and spare monitors! Heres my proud list of
    >BW classics :-
    [snip
    >Computer space - blue, mint, working.
    [snip]
    >Arch.

    Except by Mint you mean completely restored from a damaged carcasss :P

    I run the Bronzeage mailing list on yahoogroups.com, there's hardly any
    traffic, there's a whole bunch of collectors, but we all know we can
    pick up pcbs and parts fairly cheap, they're not easy to find, but
    filtering ebay makes the job easy as stuff does eventually turn up
    except if you're after the really rare stuff which only turns up once
    every couple of years, when it does, its not often all that expensive
    anyway as nobody has heard of it, or wants it :) I would think going
    into the repair of said pcbs while easy, will not be profitable. The b/w
    pcbs i fix for other people always tend to be for trades/favours, never
    for hard cash, there's just no point, nobody will pay it :)

    I have a huge pcb collection of atari 1970's games, i only need 5 or 6
    to complete the set, i'm now turning my attention to building an
    exhibition 'wall' of games, where each one will have its own controls
    and screen, where the pcb is visible and the game is playable.. Of
    course, this takes up far less room than owning all the original
    machines which i couldn't possibly hope to house :) I hope to show it as
    an exhibit in its own right, or part of a larger collection, to promote
    the world of TTL games that has long been forgotten.

    Andy Welburn
    www.andys-arcade.com

    --
    Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
    http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

    What are the 5 or 6 you need?? I also have a large collection of b/w pcb's.
    Also got a few other parts as well :)
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Atari/Kee PCBs Wanted:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    - Super Pong (official factory mod if possible)
    - Elimination!
    - Touch Me (yes, i know its not a video)
    - Gotcha
    - Sprint 8
    - Tank 8
    - Pool Shark

    I have all the others... let me know if you can fill any gaps.

    Andy Welburn
    www.andys-arcade.com

    --
    Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
    http://www.gamernewsgroups.com
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Problem is that they have a very small collector base. The gameplay is so
    simplistic (many times its the exact same gameplay as the atari 2600) that
    very few people wish to collect them. I do admit most of the cabinets look
    very cool.

    --
    Mickster

    Visit my website and see my arcade!!

    http://mickster.freeservers.com

    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am a huge fan of old Atari B&W raster games from 1974 to 1978. My
    > question is there a market for these type of games? I would like to
    > restore games and repair the boards and make a decent profit to help me
    > continue the restorations. I am unsure if anyone would be interested
    > in these games and I do not want to put time and money into something
    > no one will want. What do you guys think? Let me know.

Games Atari Video Games