Number Portability

Just think about a world where if you got fed up with, say, Fido, you could
call another service provider and say "my number is xxxxxx and I'd like to
transfer my wireless service to you". Or even transfer your landline number
to a wireless provider (yes, I know you could do that with CityFido) or vice
versa. Is this a dead issue or is there still interest in it? Would people
out there support a petition to try and get something done about it?

--
Jimbo
4 answers Last reply

    I'm sure no customers supported Rogers (or Telus') takeover of Fido,
    and I'm sure there was a petition. The thing is that there's no real
    competition in Canada and the people who are supposed to ensure that
    competition exists keep looking the other way. How else do you
    explain the lack of competition in our insurance, banking, telecom
    (except for LD, thanks to IP technology that allows small companies to
    bypass the telcos)... I could go on. Even where there's more than one
    company, they all collude to raise their service fees and rates in
    tandem. This number portability thing has been talked about for at
    least a couple of years now and nothing so far. The day it's
    implemented, the telcos will just require that everyone sign on to a
    multi-year contract to maintain their service. And they'll all do it
    at the same time. And the bureaucrats that are supposed to ensure
    that we have competition will turn a blind eye.

    Jimbo wrote:
    > Just think about a world where if you got fed up with, say, Fido, you could
    > call another service provider and say "my number is xxxxxx and I'd like to
    > transfer my wireless service to you". Or even transfer your landline number
    > to a wireless provider (yes, I know you could do that with CityFido) or vice
    > versa. Is this a dead issue or is there still interest in it? Would people
    > out there support a petition to try and get something done about it?
    >
    > --
    > Jimbo

    I would also like the subject to be brought up
    wonder if someone has some facts and details about
    where the project is leading, i believe that
    LNP was blocked by the CRTC in Canada to give
    telecom industries a more "stable" customer base
    back in the mid 90' but now it's a different ballgame
    and telco and not suported anymore from the federal
    governement. if local number portability was a reality
    in Canada I think the biggest looser would be Bell Canada
    so i assume they are lobbyin' the CRTC so it take a long
    time do be accepted, anyway who cares about LNP outside
    of acf and other telefreaks ?

    M4tt wrote:
    > where the project is leading, i believe that
    > LNP was blocked by the CRTC in Canada to give
    > telecom industries a more "stable" customer base

    LNP is supposed to be reality in canada. Thing is that the CRTC was
    "convinced" to not force its implementation. Only Fido was succesful in
    getting it for its CityFido. In hindsight, considering that CityFido was
    doomed from the start, it may have been easy for Telus and then Bell to
    accept LNP with Fido.

    With CityFido essentially gone, the seeds of LNP are probably gone for a
    long long time now.

    Consider that it is now Rogers versus the Telcos.

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > M4tt wrote:
    >> where the project is leading, i believe that
    >> LNP was blocked by the CRTC in Canada to give
    >> telecom industries a more "stable" customer base
    (snip)

    LNP is not blocked in Canada: it is available to CLECS and that is why Fido
    became a CLEC. The point of the petition would simply be to demonstrate to
    the CRTC that consumers want number portability so that they can have a
    choice.

Fido Wireless Internet Service Providers