my computer icon

i use windows xp professional
suddenly my ' my computer ' icon on the desktop has disappeared
can you please advise how i access/ retrieve my local disk drives

thanks

ray guy

ps.. please copy any reply to - rayguy@bigfoot.com
15 answers Last reply
More about computer icon

    Desktop Windows Icons

    Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab |
    Customize Desktop button | General tab |
    Desktop icons | Select what you want on the Desktop:
    ? My Documents
    ? My Computer
    ? My Network Places
    ? Internet Explorer

    [[Specifies whether these Windows items will appear as icons on your
    desktop. Select the check box if you want the item to appear on your
    desktop; clear the check box if you do not want the item to appear on your
    desktop.]]

    Or...
    Start | Run | Type: desk.cpl | OK

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DF4B88B1-5895-4BD5-A92F-1E931EEE3D3D@microsoft.com,
    ray guy <ray guy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    ray guy <ray guy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > i use windows xp professional
    > suddenly my ' my computer ' icon on the desktop has disappeared
    > can you please advise how i access/ retrieve my local disk drives
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ray guy
    >
    > ps.. please copy any reply to - rayguy@bigfoot.com

    Download TweakUI

    Under the desktop add the My Computer icon back.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    In news:OG16HHqdFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> had this to say:

    *yawns* Good morning. <g>

    > Or...
    > Start | Run | Type: desk.cpl | OK

    Or desk.cpl = control desktop in the run box too.

    I wasn't sure if you knew that or not, heck I'm not even sure if you wanted
    to know, but I thought I'd add it to your arsenal. While I have no evidence
    to back this up it would seem logical to me that people would be more
    inclined to remember "control *****" instead of the ***.cpl or so I would
    think...

    I didn't know all of them so I just did a quick search and came up with
    this:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=180025&sd=RMVP

    <quote/>

    Syntax Description
    Control desktop Launches the Desktop Control Panel subprogram
    Control color Launches the Desktop Control Panel subprogram, with the
    Appearance tab preselected
    Control date/time Launches the Date/Time Control Panel program
    Control international Launches the Regional Settings Control Panel
    subprogram
    Control mouse Launches the Mouse Control Panel subprogram
    Control keyboard Launches the Keyboard Control Panel subprogram
    Control printers Displays the Printers folder
    Control fonts Displays the Fonts folder

    For Windows 2000:

    Syntax Description
    Control folders Launches the Folder Settings Control Panel subprogram
    Control netware Launches the Novell NetWare Control Panel subprogram
    (if installed)
    Control telephony Launches the Phone and Modem Options Control Panel
    subprogram
    Control admintools Displays the Administrative Tools folder
    Control schedtasks Displays the Scheduled Tasks folder
    Control netconnections Displays the Network and Dial-up Connections
    folder
    Control infrared Launches the Infrared Control Panel subprogram (if
    installed)
    Control userpasswords Launches the Users and Passwords Control Panel
    subprogram

    </quote>

    While they do apply to NT & 2k directly many of them are also valid in XP.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Good morning Galen,

    Thanks for the tip. Yes, I am aware of it, but desk.cpl has fewer
    characters to type. ;-) Just as control desktop has fewer characters than
    %windir%\System32\control.exe desktop

    There are any number of combinations that will open Display Properties.

    Here are a few...

    control desktop will open Display Properties @ the Themes tab
    control desk.cpl,1,0 will open Display Properties @ the Desktop tab
    I can't get it to open Display Properties @ the Appearance tab
    control desk.cpl,0,2 will open Display Properties @ the Screen Saver tab
    control desk.cpl,1,4 will open Display Properties @ the Settings tab

    This creates a shortcut to Display Properties opened @ the Settings tab.

    Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    Paste this in the Location box...

    control desk.cpl,1,4

    Click the Next button | Name it whatever you want, like Display Settings |
    Click the finish button

    This actually creates a shortcut to...

    %windir%\System32\control.exe desk.cpl,1,4

    Any of the above can be used to create shortcuts.

    Description of Control Panel Files in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313808

    Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;149648

    Windows XP Control Panel, Shortcuts and Control.exe
    http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/control.htm

    Any of these can also be used to create shortcuts...

    control Sysdm.cpl,System,1 System Properties @ Computer Name tab
    control Sysdm.cpl,System,2 System Properties @ Hardware tab
    control Sysdm.cpl,System,3 System Properties @ Advanced tab
    control Sysdm.cpl,System,4 System Properties @ System Restore tab
    control Sysdm.cpl,System,5 System Properties @ Automatic Updates tab
    control Sysdm.cpl,System,6 System Properties @ Remote tab

    The environmental variable Pathext controls which extensions do not need to
    be typed in a Command or Run window. The Path environmental variable and a
    registry entry, that I can't remember now, control what paths do not have to
    be typed.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Oj$7ZEzdFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Galen <galennews@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    In news:ORf6B0zdFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> had this to say:

    > I can't get it to open Display Properties @ the Appearance tab

    control color

    (the only way I know of)

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    control color opens @ the Screen Saver tab for me, Galen. ;-(

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Oct4Y$2dFHA.3836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Galen <galennews@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > In news:ORf6B0zdFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> had this to say:

    >> I can't get it to open Display Properties @ the Appearance tab
    >
    > control color
    >
    > (the only way I know of)
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    Reminding that there is a father of all :-)

    rundll32 x:\windows\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    x:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl
    rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL x:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl

    ( Same as : CONTROL x:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl )

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> [...]
    >> Control netconnections Displays the Network and Dial-up
    >> Connections
    >> folder
    >> Control infrared Launches the Infrared Control Panel subprogram
    >> (if
    >> installed)
    >> Control userpasswords Launches the Users and Passwords Control
    >> Panel subprogram
    >>

    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> While they do apply to NT & 2k directly many of them are also valid in
    >> XP.
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >>
    >> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    >> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    >> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    >> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

    Hi Ramesh,

    I don't have XP SP2 anymore (back to SP1) so I don't have wscui.cpl (SP2
    Security Center). No frown here. ;-)

    No hint on to opening Display Properties @ the Appearance tab?

    Or is it *not* possible?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23cTGIl0dFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> [...]
    >>> Control netconnections Displays the Network and Dial-up
    >>> Connections
    >>> folder
    >>> Control infrared Launches the Infrared Control Panel subprogram
    >>> (if
    >>> installed)
    >>> Control userpasswords Launches the Users and Passwords Control
    >>> Panel subprogram
    >>>

    >>> </quote>
    >>>
    >>> While they do apply to NT & 2k directly many of them are also valid in
    >>> XP.
    >>>
    >>> Galen
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    >>> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    >>> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    >>> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

    Interesting!! the "control color" command opens the Appearance tab here.

    --

    > control color opens @ the Screen Saver tab for me, Galen. ;-(
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:Oct4Y$2dFHA.3836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Galen <galennews@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> In news:ORf6B0zdFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> had this to say:

    >>> I can't get it to open Display Properties @ the Appearance tab
    >>
    >> control color
    >>
    >> (the only way I know of)
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >>
    >> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    >> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    >> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    >> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >>
    >> Sherlock Holmes

    Yes, that is interesting. Hmm. Another XP anomaly on my machine. Hmm.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eCBF%23K7dFHA.1660@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,

    In news:uepictAeFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> had this to say:

    > Yes, that is interesting. Hmm. Another XP anomaly on my machine.
    > Hmm.

    I just tested on two desktops and a laptop... What in the heck have you been
    playing with? Maybe it's time to give it a good swift kick to the side
    panel? Makes me wonder what it opens on 9x or 2k? I'm a bit too lazy to
    wander off and get that information but sometime it's almost worth doing an
    article about it... Ah well... I'm afraid I dunno what to tell you on that
    one. I do know that it should have opened the appearance tab. Yeah, nothing
    a good swift kick can't fix for you...

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Wes,

    >> I don't have XP SP2 anymore (back to SP1)

    Any problems with SP2 and your PC configuration?

    --

> [...]
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;149648
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Control Panel, Shortcuts and Control.exe
    >>> http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/control.htm
    >>>
    >>> Any of these can also be used to create shortcuts...
    >>>
    >>> control Sysdm.cpl,System,1 System Properties @ Computer Name tab
    >>> control Sysdm.cpl,System,2 System Properties @ Hardware tab
    >>> control Sysdm.cpl,System,3 System Properties @ Advanced tab
    >>> control Sysdm.cpl,System,4 System Properties @ System Restore tab
    >>> control Sysdm.cpl,System,5 System Properties @ Automatic Updates
    >>> tab
    >>> control Sysdm.cpl,System,6 System Properties @ Remote tab
    >>>
    >>> The environmental variable Pathext controls which extensions do not need
    >>> be typed in a Command or Run window. The Path environmental variable and
    >>> a registry entry, that I can't remember now, control what paths do not

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Ramesh,

    Not any more. :-D

    The list is too numerous.

    I uninstalled SP2 and *I* fixed most of the things that the uninstall
    didn't.

    There isn't one reason listed in the Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP
    Service Pack 2 (SP2) that interests me anyway.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%234nR1lHeFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes,
    >
    >>> I don't have XP SP2 anymore (back to SP1)
    >
    > Any problems with SP2 and your PC configuration?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx

    >> Hi Ramesh,
    >>
    >> I don't have XP SP2 anymore (back to SP1) so I don't have wscui.cpl (SP2
    >> Security Center). No frown here. ;-)
    >>
    >> No hint on to opening Display Properties @ the Appearance tab?
    >>
    >> Or is it *not* possible?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:%23cTGIl0dFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Reminding that there is a father of all :-)
    >>>
    >>> rundll32 x:\windows\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    >>> x:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl
    >>> rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL x:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl
    >>>
    >>> ( Same as : CONTROL x:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl )
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I may need to borrow your Estwing again, Galen. <LOL>

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23VjhwGLeFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Galen <galennews@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > In news:uepictAeFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> had this to say:

    >> Yes, that is interesting. Hmm. Another XP anomaly on my machine.
    >> Hmm.
    >
    > I just tested on two desktops and a laptop... What in the heck have you
    > been playing with? Maybe it's time to give it a good swift kick to the
    > side panel? Makes me wonder what it opens on 9x or 2k? I'm a bit too lazy
    > to wander off and get that information but sometime it's almost worth
    > doing an article about it... Ah well... I'm afraid I dunno what to tell
    > you on that one. I do know that it should have opened the appearance tab.
    > Yeah, nothing a good swift kick can't fix for you...
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Wes,
    Sorry to hear that. I have two SP2 installations here and no problems. Only
    problem is that the CA (ezTrust) anti-virus crashed (BSOD) every time after
    I installed it. But not sure if it's coz of SP2 or the hardware
    configuration.

    --

    > Hi Ramesh,
    >
    > Not any more. :-D
    >
    > The list is too numerous.
    >
    > I uninstalled SP2 and *I* fixed most of the things that the uninstall
    > didn't.
    >
    > There isn't one reason listed in the Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP
    > Service Pack 2 (SP2) that interests me anyway.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%234nR1lHeFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Wes,

    >> Any problems with SP2 and your PC configuration?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx

    >>> Hi Ramesh,
    >>>
    >>> I don't have XP SP2 anymore (back to SP1) so I don't have wscui.cpl (SP2
    >>> Security Center). No frown here. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> No hint on to opening Display Properties @ the Appearance tab?
    >>>
    >>> Or is it *not* possible?
    >>>
    >>> --