New graphics HELP psu problems

NickZhao

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2005
hey guys I'm upgrading my computer next week.
From my previous posts I'm going to get a new Radeon 9600pro or hopefully 9700 pro. THe problem is that my power supply max output is 250 watt. I'm not sure if a 9600pro or 9700 pro would work off that power supply. I have a Dell Dimension 8100, with custom cables so i can't upgrade my PSU.
Specs are:
P4 1.5 ghz
512 mb PC-800 RAM (Twin rambus 2x256mb)
Nvidia GeForce 2 mmx 32 megs
PCI sound card
cd drive

CAn anybody tell me if my power supply is enough for those 2 cards. Because if it isn't il jst buy a GeForce 4 ti 4600
Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9600 Pro will work. The 9700 Pro should work. Your power supply has a peak output of something like 350W, and is rated at continuous output. Add to that, your weak CPU isn't as power hungry as Intel's more recent versions.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

alladinsane

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
Hey Crashman, did you find that info on the 250 watt Dell psu from a website? If so, could you direct me to it as i probably have a similar psu as this guy.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell doesn't provide any info, you have to talk to some power supply experts as far as I know.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>