Card and Cooling Questions

Sccrguy14004

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2005
I'm in the market for an X800XL graphics card. After looking over the selection at Newegg and other places, I realize I have no idea what exactly I need. So I have two questions: First, can anyone recommend a specific card manufactuer? and Second, if I have a stock Dell 8400 case, in a well ventilated area, will I need to buy an aftermarket cooling fan for the card? I don't intend to overclock it, and I don't usually spend more than two hours at a strech playing graphics intensive games. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please provide a clicky to your system specs or just list them.

The <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=363095#363095" target="_new">Graphics Card Buying FAQ</A> at the top of this forum lists good mfrs for reliability and performance.

I wouldn't worry about an aftermarket cooling solution unless you ran into heat issues.

Sccrguy14004

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2005
Thanks Rugger, for pointing out the fact that I apparently can't see things I'm looking for, even if they are in big letters at the top of a page. As for system specs:
P4 3.0 Ghz with HT
1 GB (2 x 512) Samsung RAM
160 GB Harddrive (Manufacturer unknown)
Radeon x300 PCI express graphics card
350 watt Power Supply***

Everything is straight off the Dell assembly line, I haven't touched a thing until now.

Another question though: The specs for the X800 say "A 350w power supply or greater is recommended to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed."

Now, as I stated above, I've got a 350W supply, but with a hard drive, a CDRW, a DVD Rom, and a vid card, should I upgrade just to be on the safe side?

If that is an older Prescott core, then I would upgrade the PSU. They are power hogs. This <A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/vantecion-thomas/index.html" target="_new">Vantec Ion 2 460W</A> seems to be a good mid-priced PSU. You just need to make sure that the PSU will fit. Dell has been known to have non-standard screw patterns for PSUs. You can always try it with your current PSU, but if you run into any stability issues, then my first suspect would be the PSU. Have you verified that you have a slot to accomodate the X800XL?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
For power supply, it's best to an upgrade like Rugger suggested, but my suggestion goes to Enermax noisetaker 420watt, or the Seasonic S12 420watt. Both are superior than his precious Ion:D

Give a Damnclicky! He could also go overboard with a <A HREF="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270402" target="_new">Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P</A> or <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0" target="_new">Fortron Blue Storm 500W</A>.

Sccrguy14004

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2005
MMmmmmm.....Overboard isn't really my style......I'm having a heart attack paying for the card as it is (I'm really too cheap for cool computer hardware). And for the record, yes, I have checked to see if the X8 will fit. Thanks a bunch for the help guys.

Not a prob. If there is one place to have a little buffer, then it is the PSU. The PSU is the heart and soul of the PC and often overlooked. Anyone of the above listed PSUs should work fine for your system.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
You expect me to be keen enough to actually give linkies?! i gave the model name, that's enough, the guy can google it him/herself.

Or you can go with Silverstone Zeus 650watt, or OCZ PowerStream 620watt, or PC Power&Cooling 800watt, or Antec Phantom 500watt, or Seasonic S12 600watt. Now that's overkill.

True - the FSP 500W and Enermax 535W were just good solid PSUs that should be usable in his next build, too...

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Trust me those 2 Fortron made psu's aren't nearly as stable as the ones i've mentioned:D but they do cost at least 2x more than the Enermax 535watt. The Zeus and Power&Cooling is at least 3x more:D

I know - those are beasts. I just can't push myself to pay quite that much for a PSU right now. The Blue Storm or 535W Enermax are good for my uses and great PSUs.

The 40W more you get with the 535 costs $20...