ATI X800XL AGP for $250 good deal?

chinadude310

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Hi, I currently have a BFG Geforce6800 OC 128mb. I don't know if its just my card that sucks but I can hardly even play Battlefield2 on low, so I want to upgrade to that. So my question is, is the X800XL a good deal?

What are the rest of your system specs?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Your card is really good, and should run BF2 on high no problem, with 1024/768 res, your system specs will be helpful, and i think you've got some software problems slowing you down.

That's what I was thinking. Let's play "Find the Bottleneck!"

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Yeah, that card's good, and just answering to the title of your question, it is a good deal, but only to non-overclockers, overclockers will want the x800xt PE for 100 dollars more.

I just posted some links - he can get an X850XT for $350. $275 if an additional rebate is applicable. It's tigerdirect, so I wouldn't hold my breath on any rebate... :mad:

:redface: Noob mistake. DOH!

chinadude310

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
The rest of my system:
Althon XP 2400+
4x AGP motherboard
1gig RAM

My friend has almost identical system specs but he uses a Geforce6800 GT 268mb and runs the game great on high and 2x AA. /shrug

chinadude310

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Btw if its software problem what could it be? I just formatted my harddrive about two days ago, BF2 still runs like crap. Acturally, before I formatted it I was able to play with low/medium but now I lag even with all low. I installed nvida driver, direct x 9.0c and everything. What could be wrong?

chinadude310

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
chipset? Updating forceware right now but not sure if thats gonna be any help. What PSU?

Either way I guess that this is a pretty good deal for the x800XL.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
It's just that you won't see a major improvement, wait for the 7600gt/ultra cards, or ATI's mainstream cards, Nvidia's 7600 series will carry 12 and 16 pipes, and it should be priced around the same with some newer optimizations.

What PSU is in your system?

Open up the side of the case and read the label on the side of the PSU. Go ahead and tell us the mfr, model, max CONTINUOUS wattage and Amps on each voltage rail (3.3V, 5V and 12V).

chinadude310

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
MFR = RaidMAX
Model is KY-520ATX ATX 12V

3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5Vsb Total Output Watt
----------------------------------------------------------
26.0a 32.0A 13.0A 0.5A 0.8A 2.0A 420W

The 12V rail (<b>13A!</b>)was the sacrificial lamb for the 3.3V and 5V rails. Modern rigs need more in the 12V than the other two. You may very well have issues running the X800XL on this PSU and it may have been causing your stability/performance issues with the 6800 OC.

Absofuckinlutely amazing!

That would be the first place I would start - don't replace the 6800 OC, until you replace that PSU. You could try a Vantec Ion 2 460W, an Enermax noisetaker 495W or a Fortron Blue Storm 500W. All are great PSUs.