Upgrading Dell 4600 to USB 2.0

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I have a Dell 4600 with USB 1.1 and was wondering if I could upgrade it to
USB 2.0. If so what kind of card do I need to install.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

Your Dim 4600 should be USB2.0 capable, if you have XP SP1a or SP2
installed. Check your Windows Hardware Device Manager. There should be a USB
entry, labeled "standard enhanced" in it.

Control Panel> System> Hardware tab> Device Manager button> Under USB
Controllers
--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Phil" <ashnan@delete@sprynet.com> wrote in message
I have a Dell 4600 with USB 1.1 and was wondering if I could upgrade it to
USB 2.0. If so what kind of card do I need to install.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

"Phil" <ashnan@delete@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell 4600 with USB 1.1 and was wondering if I could upgrade it to
>USB 2.0. If so what kind of card do I need to install.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Phil

The 4600 is USB2. My 4550 does.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I do have the "standard enhanced" entry as well as well as four entries that
say "Intel 8280 1EB USB Universal Host Controller". I assume this means I
have USB 1.1 with capability of going to 2.0 with an expansion card. Thanks
for the help.

Phil

"Phil" <ashnan@delete@sprynet.com> wrote in message news:Z954e.4826$x4.937@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>I do have the "standard enhanced" entry as well as well as four entries that
> say "Intel 8280 1EB USB Universal Host Controller". I assume this means I
> have USB 1.1 with capability of going to 2.0 with an expansion card. Thanks
> for the help.

The 4600 utilizes the 865PE chipset which supports 8 USB 2.0 ports.
Internally there are four Universal Host Controllers and one Enhanced
Host Controller. The UHCs support two ports each and handle devices
that operate at full or low speed. The EHC supports eight ports and
handles devices that operate at high speed. IOW, if you plug a high
speed device into a port the EHC will control that port and if you plug
a full or low speed device into a port the UHC will control that port.
That's assuming the EHC is up and running properly. If it isn't, the
UHCs will control all ports and you'll be stuck with lower speeds.

What it means is you likely have the wrong drivers installed. Did you
reinstall XP after you received the box? If so, did you install the chipset
drivers FIRST?

ALL USB ports on the 4600 ARE USB2.

Tom

Phil wrote:
> I have a Dell 4600 with USB 1.1 and was wondering if I could upgrade it to
> USB 2.0. If so what kind of card do I need to install.

Probably nothing - my 4550 came with USB2 native - hard to imagine that
Dell regressed on USB with the 4600 series.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

No I have not reinstalled anything since I got the computer from Dell. What
drivers would I need to reinstall to get all the ports to be USB 2.0.
Thanks.

Phil

> No I have not reinstalled anything since I got the computer from Dell.
> What drivers would I need to reinstall to get all the ports to be USB 2.0.
> Thanks.
>
> Phil

To save Tom from having to repeat himself, ALL of the ports ARE USB 2.0.

Stew

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Okay thanks for the help. That is what I wanted to know.

Phil

> "Phil" <ashnan@delete@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>> No I have not reinstalled anything since I got the computer from Dell.
>> What drivers would I need to reinstall to get all the ports to be USB
>> 2.0. Thanks.
>>
>> Phil
>>

> To save Tom from having to repeat himself, ALL of the ports ARE USB 2.0.
>

> Stew

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:42:59 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Phil" <ashnan@delete@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>> No I have not reinstalled anything since I got the computer from Dell.
>> What drivers would I need to reinstall to get all the ports to be USB 2.0.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Phil
>>

>To save Tom from having to repeat himself, ALL of the ports ARE USB 2.0.
>

>Stew

What about the 4500 series? Mine reads as follows....

Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

.... Does this mean I have USB 2.0 or just capable to upgrade
to USB 2.0 ?

Rob,
The following lines in your USB controller discriptions, means that you have
ISB 2.0:

"Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD"

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

<Rob> wrote in message news:k5r451l58sk9mughp4hk5kbss840rvbpcf@4ax.com...

What about the 4500 series? Mine reads as follows....

Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

.... Does this mean I have USB 2.0 or just capable to upgrade
to USB 2.0 ?

<Rob> wrote in message news:k5r451l58sk9mughp4hk5kbss840rvbpcf@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:42:59 -0500, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>"Phil" <ashnan@delete@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>>> No I have not reinstalled anything since I got the computer from Dell.
>>> What drivers would I need to reinstall to get all the ports to be USB
>>> 2.0.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>

>>To save Tom from having to repeat himself, ALL of the ports ARE USB 2.0.
>>

>>Stew
>>

> What about the 4500 series? Mine reads as follows....
>
> Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
> Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
> Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
> Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> ... Does this mean I have USB 2.0 or just capable to upgrade
> to USB 2.0 ?

The 4500 was the first mid-level Dimension to feature USB 2.0, so yes.
"Enhanced", my man. The 4400 was the first to use DDR, but had USB 1.1 and
a 400mhz FSB. The 4500 also offered 533mhz FSB support if I recall
correctly.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,103025,00.asp

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/specs.htm#1101572

Stew