12volt verses no 12volt plug

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Several older reviews showed that the advantage to the X800XL was that it didn't need the 12-volt plug. Well, my Sapphire X800XL has the 12-volt plug. What caused the addition of the 12volt plug?

It overclocks (just to find out) to 506.3MHz Memory and 452.3MHz on the core, which is just a touch higher than some (500/440MHz memory/core seems pretty common) but not enough to get all yippie about. So overclocking sure isn't it. It uses the stock heat sink, but I doubt that the heat sink is really the issue so much as the leaky VPU dielectric. No matter, the card is a good deal and runs well.

The trick to procrastination is to just not do it very long.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Actually that is good for volt mod, it allows you to supply much more stable power into the card. My card doesn't have the power connector, it can't take more than 1.7VVPU.

Your card is AGP isn't it?

Or is it the 512mb model?

AGP doesn't supply enough across the slot (~25-35W less), and therefore needs the extra juice over the PCIe version which is just able to get enough power from the slot.

The 512mb version seems to push it over that barrier due to the extra power for memory and slight overclock, and potential for more.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
My card is the 256meg AGP X800XL model. I don't recall if the review was a PCIe version or not. But, point well taken. I'd imagine that the new slot architecture would be up-rated to meet new card requirements without the power plug at all.

I'm not so sure if "more" voltage will enable the card to clock any better based on the VPU's .11um TSMC die design. The leaky low K dielectric is probably the bottleneck. No big bother, the card does well at 506/452MHz (mem/VPU) with the stock heat sink and fan.

The trick to procrastination is to just not do it very long.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rower30 on 07/27/05 02:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Actually the extra volt helped my clocks from 420 to 527mhz on my core. It's AGP, well then it should have the power connector, the PCI Express version doesn't have it.

Except for the Ba$$Turd Powercolor/Club3D models.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: