Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • ATI
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2005 2:36:51 AM

I have an ATI 9600XT. The speed is okay for playing WoW and Guild Wars, but I get lockups every now and then. Sometimes several in a night. I bought this card cause of the HL2 deal and I thuoght ATI was finally getting better about their drivers, but it doesn't seem like the case, and I'm sick of it.

So, any nVidia (perhaps 6600GT) owners who play those games wanna chime in and let me know if the grass is greener on the other side? Are nVidia cards more stable?

My spec:
AMD64 3500+
MSI Neo2 VIA K8T800 PRO Chipset
1GB Corsair RAM
Windows 2000 SP4

I'm running Catalyst 5.4. I have tried 5.5, 5.6, and 5.7 all with little success. 5.7 is a disaster. :/ 

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sc2071 on 07/26/05 10:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : nvidia stable ati

July 27, 2005 2:45:07 AM

You know, i don't think it's the driver's problem, what power supply do you have? And how well cooled is your case?
July 27, 2005 3:25:58 AM

I think I have an Antec 400 or 420watt power supply. I also have a front and back case fan, both Antec TriCools. The back exhaust is 92mm and set on high, so I think the case is alright. Of course it has been hot today. However, I work from home in 3DSMax all day and no lockups.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 27, 2005 4:11:06 AM

Disable fastwrites, and make sure your mobo BIOS and chipset drivers are up to date.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
July 27, 2005 4:34:44 AM

ATI's drivers have gotten better but I do prefer Nvidia's. I doubt the drivers are your problem though.
July 27, 2005 12:38:31 PM

the grass is greener on the other side.

I have a X800XT and a vannilla 6800 128mb

surprise surprise nvidia drivers are rock solid compared to my ati machine i can play more games without glitches on the 6800 than the x800.

this is probably gonna start a flame war but its simply true if you own both you can compare and nvidia tops ati on driver quality.

ati is a lot better than it used to be and is constantly getting better, i have owned ati cards since 1998 so i think i might know a thing or 2.

<font color=purple> BOW DOWN AND SUCK MY eD!cK </font color=purple>
July 27, 2005 12:40:41 PM

then again nvidia is not a basket of fruits it does have rotten ones in there to.

who knows whats around the corner.

July 27, 2005 12:43:15 PM

I have owned both also. Granted it has been 3 years since I used a nVidia card. But I would occaisionly get glitches in both. Now I have ATI, and their is always room for driver improvement, since other software/games are changing and coming to market.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
July 27, 2005 2:28:40 PM

I have had both, and have not had problems with either. The exception is that One of the more recent drivers for ATI gave my card problems, so I just rolled it back and updated when the next driver came along, and it was fine.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 27, 2005 2:43:02 PM

I have both, and no problems with either.

The only problem I ever had with the ATis were due to non-current VIA BIOS (hence my mention above), and when using leaked 3rd party beta drivers.

Anyone who thinks one is 'certainly' better than the other overall for all people and all situations is viewing it simplistically IMO. Looking at the BUG List and Bug Fix list in Digit-Life's digests shows that pretty clearly.

Most major driver problems can be related to user error. But both companies are often in the habit of breaking something that already works or was fixed in order to try and add support for or fix another feature.

Personally I like the look, feel, functionality and stability of Matrox drivers, but it's been a while since I've used them.

Rock solid, um that would be the Intel Extreme here at work, never a problem :lol:  .

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
July 27, 2005 5:48:37 PM

Could also that your PSU may not be delivering stable voltage. If so, that could explain why it only crashes in gamming since youre in full load at that time.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
July 27, 2005 11:52:58 PM

your right in what you say most errors are user related errors, and i am bluntly looking at it simply.

nvidia has come out with some blunders in the past but so has ati, there both the same NOW in driver quality and gaming performance.

IMO going back to 1998 to now i have had more ati problems than nvidia, then again ati has been out longer than nvidia.

My first computer was a P2 350mhz, 128mb ram, ati rage 8mb with a voodoo2 12mb duel card ready (could not AFford ANOTHER ONE) they had been rock solidish then, then i made a couple of computers 2002-03ish where the cards kept over heating due to driver problems that turned me away from ati intill the x800 came out.

also there have been lots of bugs incountered with ati cards and games and fixes have been constantly been downloaded a couple of years ago (this has been sorted out now no problems with x800), never really had to many problems with the geforce range until FX came out and enuff siad about that.

July 28, 2005 2:13:08 AM

Well one area Nvidia is much better than ATI drivers is in opengl and Linux support.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 28, 2005 3:15:17 AM

LOL!

Quote:
Well one area Nvidia is much better than ATI drivers is in opengl and Linux support.

Yeah, yeah, and ATi has better Apple support, yadda yadda.

What other tiny market did you want to pimp?
Next you'll mention whose better with OS/2 or Smartphone drivers!

July 28, 2005 9:42:56 AM

lol.

July 28, 2005 9:45:38 AM

what i was tring to get at, was ATI and Nvidia could never have been closer in driver quality and support, but nvidia will be ahead as people say crossfire will be released soon i would expect problems with crossfire setups just like nvidia had.

July 28, 2005 2:26:14 PM

All I have is CoreCenter to check the Voltages. I'll tell you, this is my first and last MSI board. I prefer ASUS's software so much more (as they have software that tracks everything, plus it doesn't look all 133t and haXXor crap). Anyway, what voltages should I be looking for being off? There's 3.3v, +5v, and +12v.

Thanx!
July 28, 2005 11:14:45 PM

I wasn't trying to pimp anything. The guy asked which drivers are more stable. I said above they're both good I just responded later the areas I believe where Nvidia is better. Perfectly fine if you or anyone else wants to give your opinion on what ATI is better at. I don't have as much experience with ATI so I can't say.
!