Problem with laptop and closing it...

My laptop used to darken the screen automatically when I closed it, but for
some reason it has stopped doing this. To my knowledge I haven't done
anything to change this. I never told it to stop, and I don't remember ever
seeing anything to do this anyway. Can someone tell me how to make my laptop
do this again?
6 answers Last reply
More about problem laptop closing

    I would go to Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, then to Choose a Screen
    Saver, then look for the button labled Power, and look inside those settings
    to see if you can find where it might possiably say "When I Close Laptop" or
    somewhere along those lines.

    "Siesna" wrote:

    > My laptop used to darken the screen automatically when I closed it, but for
    > some reason it has stopped doing this. To my knowledge I haven't done
    > anything to change this. I never told it to stop, and I don't remember ever
    > seeing anything to do this anyway. Can someone tell me how to make my laptop
    > do this again?

    Yeah, I thought of that. Nothing along those lines. Only things like how long
    it should wait before doing something.

    I'm using a Dell Inspiron 2200 if that helps anyone.

    "Matt" wrote:

    > I would go to Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, then to Choose a Screen
    > Saver, then look for the button labled Power, and look inside those settings
    > to see if you can find where it might possiably say "When I Close Laptop" or
    > somewhere along those lines.
    >

    > "Siesna" wrote:
    >
    > > My laptop used to darken the screen automatically when I closed it, but for
    > > some reason it has stopped doing this. To my knowledge I haven't done
    > > anything to change this. I never told it to stop, and I don't remember ever
    > > seeing anything to do this anyway. Can someone tell me how to make my laptop
    > > do this again?

    Hmm.... I dont know what your problem could be. Jave you turned your power
    schemes to laptop?

    --
    Brain stuffed with computer smarts.

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:43:15 -0700, Siesna wrote:

    > My laptop used to darken the screen automatically when I closed it, but for
    > some reason it has stopped doing this. To my knowledge I haven't done
    > anything to change this. I never told it to stop, and I don't remember ever
    > seeing anything to do this anyway. Can someone tell me how to make my laptop
    > do this again?

    Control Panel> Power Options has the settings for what happens when you
    close a laptop, press a power button and so on.

    Have seen settings within the display driver control panels that relate to
    brightness when a portable PC is on full power vs battery. If this sounds
    familiar and those settings are no longer available, perhaps the display
    driver needs to be reinstalled.

    Also, suggest checking the manual for the laptop or at the manufacturer's
    support pages for more details. You may even find out that the manufacturer
    provided a third and separate utility for power management and for the
    display as it relates to power management.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I've found the option "when I close the lid of my portable computer", but the
    only options are "do nothing," "hibernate," or "stand-by." I don't want it to
    do any of those... My laptop does not respond well to hibernation or
    stand-by. The touchpad flips out and won't work right. All I want it to do is
    darken the screen so it won't screw it up... I can always just use a
    screensaver, but it was nice for it to darken on its own when I closed it.

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:35:17 -0700, Siesna wrote:

    > I've found the option "when I close the lid of my portable computer", but the
    > only options are "do nothing," "hibernate," or "stand-by." I don't want it to
    > do any of those... My laptop does not respond well to hibernation or
    > stand-by. The touchpad flips out and won't work right. All I want it to do is
    > darken the screen so it won't screw it up... I can always just use a
    > screensaver, but it was nice for it to darken on its own when I closed it.

    Ouch. If you run on battery at all, a laptop that does not respond well to
    hibernation/standby is not good. When you have the time and the
    inclination, you might want to pursue that more and try to resolve it. It's
    possible the screen dimming was the last remnant of your working power
    management on this system and now it's gone too.

    The only other thing I can think of is to check any tools on the system
    that work with display settings. On some portables, you can force dimming
    of the screen using a setting provided by these utilities. If not in the
    main display control panel, look for a supplemental tool. For example, an
    extra Intel applet on some system provides dimming, screen orientation,
    multiple monitor and projector settings.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Laptops Support Microsoft Windows XP