Gutterflower

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2005
Hey guys.
Being what would proabably be refered to as a n00b on the forums i was not entirely sure where to post this, but here gos.

Recently i replaced my broken 9600XT graphics card with a new 9800 IceQ pro card. After i did this i noticed my sound has started to click and skip. For example if Media Player is playing a music file and i open up a copy of firefox from the desktop the music will jump and click untill firefox is open. (infact music quality overall is down). ANd while playing video sequances in "Thief 3" the Sound will click non stop.

I first thought this may be due to my power supply only being 300w and not taking the new power drain of the 9800 Pro very well. So i disconnected both my optical drives (leaving 2 HD's, 1 Sound Card and the graphics card) but to no avail.

Something else i have noticed is as i move the mouse in a slow ark across the desktop it will stop moving for about 1/2 a second every 5 seconds.

Unfortunatly this PC is very much thrown together of old parts. but it has worked fine with the 9600XT for 2 years.

Specs
2.4ghz AthlonXP
Gigabyte Motherboard with 4xAGP
512mb SDRAM
9800Pro ICeQ
Sound Blaster 5.1 Live
2x HD (120GB, 60GB)
300W Power Supply

I have also tried both Catalyst and Omega Drivers but with no luck.

Unfortunatly being an avid music fan, this is an incredibly annoying problem for me. Does anyone have any idea what could be up? Sorry if the explanation is a bit rubbish.
Cheers
Dave

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Gutterflower on 07/28/05 07:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Gutterflower

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2005
So you think its a motherboard problem? I find that slightly odd as the same pc setup has worked fine with a 9600XT and a Geforce4 MX before that. THe problem only cropped up when i switched the Graphics cards. Although strangely it still persisits if i switch back to the geforce 4MX.

Updating to the latest Creative drivers seems to of made it worse too.

If it is the motherboard, the EPoX 8RDA uses DDR ram where as i currently only have SDRAM. A motherboard and RAM is something i just cant afford at the moment.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Gutterflower on 07/28/05 09:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
I never use the same slot more than once. ;)

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
I prefer Gigolo, thank you very much.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Your 9800 may be using a different IRQ than the previous cards - or different memory addresses - that may trigger the bug. A KT133A is borderline ancient (I guess you're using PC133 SDRAM on it?), you should consider an upgrade (since Socket A mobos are hard to come by these days, and unfortunately KT133A were the best SDRAM chipsets for that socket, you'll have to consider a mobo/CPU/RAM exchange... And throw in a new power supply too)

Batspoon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Maybe one of your hdd's has entered PIO mode, this happened with my older computer (epox 8kha+). It was a failing hdd.

Take a look in the device manager, the properties of the ide channels (primary and sec.)>Advanced TAB. If you see some "Only PIO", try selecting "DMA if applicable" (don't remember the exact name of the option).

Hope this helps

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I had this problem too with my Dad's old PC (Duron 1.1/GF4MX440/512DDR) and I always just assumed that it was because he was putting too much load on the CPU with lots of software. He obviously never played games but he always ran WMP, MS Word, Opera and I.E. at the same time which is multitasking and some for the Duron.

Could it just be the processor not being fast enough or is it a hard drive problem - he used to run multiple hard drives also.

taxing a Duron: I've thrown a kitchen sink at mine, it came back for more. It's slow, yes, but reliable.
Several disks: they may not CAUSE the problem, but their being present and in use is taxing the chipset - which could then go bye-bye.

I had a Via KT266A (which is, thus, a few revisions newer than the KT133A). Apart from a hot reboot bug when I OC'ed my CPU, it ran (and still runs) perfectly well. However, between the two, several chipset bugs were corected.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
hmmmm have you tried entering task manager and see what procs are running? how's cpu/memory usage? probably the mouse skipping (and why not the music) is caused by high cpu load or something
I dont think a hd working in PIO would cause that, neither pc133 memory and i totally disagree it's caused by your motherboard. But could be some bios issue...

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It's slow, yes, but reliable.

Well, I'd agree that it's slow, and a CPU is only as reliable as the OS it runs, which in this case was 'not very'. They do take a hammering, though!

I've always just assumed it was the fact that the Duron only had 64k L2.

if the drives run in PIO, then it's even worse: they need to send an interrupt to the CPU every time they make an acces, and actually hold the system down as long as they don't get an answer - that includes interrupts from the mouse, the display and the sound. If, due to a high load, the chipsets 'looses' an interrupt, well, you get your lag...

I know; and due to that, 486 chipsets were made to handle a 'lot' of interrupts. However, with clock increases making it more difficult to do and the advent of DMA that made it less necessary, chipsets became less able to handle all those interrupts - and can actually miss a few.

Batspoon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
(...)I dont think a hd working in PIO would cause that(...)
Well, just give it a try with a more contemporary computer... you'll see a very annoying mouse stutter and a very big delay to load anything stored on the PIO drive.

ge0stuff

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hello everyone...

I had the same sound stoping problems in my old pc.

They seemed to appear everytime i desided to listen to winamp and use Mozilla. The problem was definetelly caused by the HD because i could hear a terrifing sound everytime i did that. If any of u ever had a crashed HD will know the sound.

The symptoms were exactly the same... no mouse pointer ( had to use Ctrl to find my pointer ), sound problems and delay...

The problem, as i figured out later, came up after i unistalled the Oracle 9i... It could be a coincidence but... who knows...

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
The problem, as i figured out later, came up after i unistalled the Oracle 9i... It could be a coincidence but... who knows...
oh, i guess it's not a coincidence... hard disks are the biggest bottlenecks in a database system... depending on the load on your system it could be (definetly) the cause of your problem.

anyway, if it's an hd problem you can check if your hd led gets lit all the time.. that can indicate either if the hd is running too much by entering PIO for example or if it is some process (maybe a virus or something) eating your cpu and/or disk