Windows XP file recovery

Ark

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003

My friend was using my computer and he did somthing to it and it locked, and
then he restarted it. When i logged in the login screen was changed to the
type i nname scheme and not the ui. THen when i logged in. Windows was set up
as if i just logged in for the first time. all my files associated with my
Documents & Settings folder was lost, Scan disk recovered these files. Is
there some way i can get my files back from it?

If so please contact at me at arktic.ttd@(removethis)gmail.com

matt

Use your restore program. Here is how to get there : Start > Programs>
Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, then follow the wizard.
--
Brain stuffed with computer smarts.

"Ark" wrote:

> My friend was using my computer and he did somthing to it and it locked, and
> then he restarted it. When i logged in the login screen was changed to the
> type i nname scheme and not the ui. THen when i logged in. Windows was set up
> as if i just logged in for the first time. all my files associated with my
> Documents & Settings folder was lost, Scan disk recovered these files. Is
> there some way i can get my files back from it?
>
> If so please contact at me at arktic.ttd@(removethis)gmail.com

Ark

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003

"Matt" wrote:
Thats the 2nd thing i tried, it says it cannot restore to any earlier
points. When it restarts it says restore failed, no settings changed. I tried
8 dates already...
> Use your restore program. Here is how to get there : Start > Programs>
> Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, then follow the wizard.
> --
> Brain stuffed with computer smarts.
>

> "Ark" wrote:
>
> > My friend was using my computer and he did somthing to it and it locked, and
> > then he restarted it. When i logged in the login screen was changed to the
> > type i nname scheme and not the ui. THen when i logged in. Windows was set up
> > as if i just logged in for the first time. all my files associated with my
> > Documents & Settings folder was lost, Scan disk recovered these files. Is
> > there some way i can get my files back from it?
> >
> > If so please contact at me at arktic.ttd@(removethis)gmail.com

Do this, restart the PC, and tap F8 till you get the DOS menu. Choose
Last Known Good , and then run the restore from that point. If that
doesnt work, reinstall windows without formatting the drive. When
windows asks you the directory to install to, name it Windows1. Once
windows powers up, You will see a folder in the C:\ called Windows.
You can go through there and retrieve all files to Windows1, and delete
the windows folder.

Ark

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003

Tried the last good settings and then the system resotre. The onlything that
happened was that my Audio driver was uninstalled. The part about the
windows1, wouldnt that just be the same as reformating and starting from the
beggining? i mean it really doesnt do much

"nvr2shy@hotmail.com" wrote:

> Do this, restart the PC, and tap F8 till you get the DOS menu. Choose
> Last Known Good , and then run the restore from that point. If that
> doesnt work, reinstall windows without formatting the drive. When
> windows asks you the directory to install to, name it Windows1. Once
> windows powers up, You will see a folder in the C:\ called Windows.
> You can go through there and retrieve all files to Windows1, and delete
> the windows folder.

Ark

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003

I ran unCHK and got back about half the files however all my songs were not
returned. Also everything is labled fileXXXX.CHK, is this where i just
reformat and start over?