System registry is missing

June 22, 2005 5:13:02 AM

I am trying to recover the corrupted registry of my winxp PC by using
microsoft KB Q30745. It says from the Recovery Console you need to copy
c:\windows\repair\system to c:\windows\system32\config\system. The problem is
there is no file called "system" in c:\windows\repair\system and as a result
I cannot copy and when I restart, it keeps rebooting itself in a loop. Could
someone please help?

Thanks
SSOR
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:22:20 PM

Hi

You'll have to try a 'Repair' install of XP. The following article by
Michael Stevens will show you how:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"ssor" <ssor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to recover the corrupted registry of my winxp PC by using
> microsoft KB Q30745. It says from the Recovery Console you need to copy
> c:\windows\repair\system to c:\windows\system32\config\system. The problem
> is
> there is no file called "system" in c:\windows\repair\system and as a
> result
> I cannot copy and when I restart, it keeps rebooting itself in a loop.
> Could
> someone please help?
>
> Thanks
> SSOR
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:05:04 PM

"ssor" <ssor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to recover the corrupted registry of my winxp PC by using
> microsoft KB Q30745. It says from the Recovery Console you need to copy
> c:\windows\repair\system to c:\windows\system32\config\system. The problem
> is
> there is no file called "system" in c:\windows\repair\system and as a
> result
> I cannot copy and when I restart, it keeps rebooting itself in a loop.
> Could
> someone please help?
>
> Thanks
> SSOR

There is no single file for the registry in XP. Parts of it are all over the
place, some in each users directory . You can export to a single file with
regedit but when your import it, it is split and sent to all the appropriate
places.
!