System registry is missing

I am trying to recover the corrupted registry of my winxp PC by using
microsoft KB Q30745. It says from the Recovery Console you need to copy
c:\windows\repair\system to c:\windows\system32\config\system. The problem is
there is no file called "system" in c:\windows\repair\system and as a result
I cannot copy and when I restart, it keeps rebooting itself in a loop. Could
someone please help?

Thanks
SSOR
2 answers Last reply
More about system registry missing

    Hi

    You'll have to try a 'Repair' install of XP. The following article by
    Michael Stevens will show you how:

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "ssor" <ssor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to recover the corrupted registry of my winxp PC by using
    > microsoft KB Q30745. It says from the Recovery Console you need to copy
    > c:\windows\repair\system to c:\windows\system32\config\system. The problem
    > is
    > there is no file called "system" in c:\windows\repair\system and as a
    > result
    > I cannot copy and when I restart, it keeps rebooting itself in a loop.
    > Could
    > someone please help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > SSOR

    "ssor" <ssor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to recover the corrupted registry of my winxp PC by using
    > microsoft KB Q30745. It says from the Recovery Console you need to copy
    > c:\windows\repair\system to c:\windows\system32\config\system. The problem
    > is
    > there is no file called "system" in c:\windows\repair\system and as a
    > result
    > I cannot copy and when I restart, it keeps rebooting itself in a loop.
    > Could
    > someone please help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > SSOR

    There is no single file for the registry in XP. Parts of it are all over the
    place, some in each users directory . You can export to a single file with
    regedit but when your import it, it is split and sent to all the appropriate
    places.

Registry Microsoft Windows XP