Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Work laptop & gaming combo?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 3, 2012 1:12:31 PM

Hello, guys I need you to help me solve this "riddle" for me.

I need to buy a new notebook, something small that I can bring to work every day and use it for my coding/webpage editing needs. It can be something like this: http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/series/travelma... which I can buy for like a $500 with the i5-3317U procesor. It would be easy to move it around and connect to an external monitor and keyboard at work.

But I'm also a casual gamer and work with video/graphics in a spare time. So I also need some kind of graphics card power. But the notebooks that are capable of gameplay in full hd are too expensive and too heavy for my taste.

So I was thinking that I can get a desktop computer, that would be powerfull enough. But then I cannot use the apps that I have in my work notebook. And I don't want to rely on usb flash drives or synchronizing all the data everytime I get home.

I need somekind of "mutant" solution :D  The only one I figured out was that I would use a same SSD drive for both of computers. But then I would have to move it from notbook to the computer everytime I get home. And that's just madness.

Do you have an idea how to deal with this?
a b D Laptop
November 3, 2012 2:15:44 PM

It's a lot of work to set up a long distance network between your home computer and a work computer.. If you're are going to do it, you'd probably end up doing FTP. Just know that your computers will both have to be on..
November 3, 2012 2:54:20 PM

hpfreak said:
It's a lot of work to set up a long distance network between your home computer and a work computer.. If you're are going to do it, you'd probably end up doing FTP. Just know that your computers will both have to be on..


I don't want that. I'm familiar with the VNC and FTP, it's too slow for my taste. The best one would be somekind of external graphics card dock... or something like that, but it is not possible to buy those in my country, and also I heard that they are no good.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
November 3, 2012 2:59:38 PM

They're starting to get better. But they are very expensive, and you need to have a Thunderbolt port (and if you're willing to spend enough money to get a capable GPU and laptop, you'll be spending a lot of money.)

Probably your best solution is to get an external drive to use to store files, it will be easier and less problematical than setting up a network, and won't cost you an arm and a leg like getting an external graphics card will.
November 3, 2012 3:40:31 PM

martiinko said:
Hello, guys I need you to help me solve this "riddle" for me.

I need to buy a new notebook, something small that I can bring to work every day and use it for my coding/webpage editing needs. It can be something like this: http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/series/travelma... which I can buy for like a $500 with the i5-3317U procesor. It would be easy to move it around and connect to an external monitor and keyboard at work.

But I'm also a casual gamer and work with video/graphics in a spare time. So I also need some kind of graphics card power. But the notebooks that are capable of gameplay in full hd are too expensive and too heavy for my taste.

So I was thinking that I can get a desktop computer, that would be powerfull enough. But then I cannot use the apps that I have in my work notebook. And I don't want to rely on usb flash drives or synchronizing all the data everytime I get home.

I need somekind of "mutant" solution :D  The only one I figured out was that I would use a same SSD drive for both of computers. But then I would have to move it from notbook to the computer everytime I get home. And that's just madness.

Do you have an idea how to deal with this?





Get external HDD on 500Gb with USB 3.0 :p 
November 3, 2012 3:52:19 PM

SlaviXz said:
Get external HDD on 500Gb with USB 3.0 :p 


Yeah I know, but that is not a solution I'm looking for. Its the same as the usb flash drive... that would fix only the problem with the data. But not with the apps. I would still need to install them on both computers hm... Maybe I will just get the SSD and I will use that with the laptop and on the weekends I will put it into a desktop hm. Its weird solution, but I don't have a better one.

Can a i5-3317U handle BluRay video (.mkv file of like 8GB) by it self?
a c 435 D Laptop
November 3, 2012 8:24:35 PM

martiinko said:

Can a i5-3317U handle BluRay video (.mkv file of like 8GB) by it self?


You mean play those types of videos? Yeah, no problem. Encoding? Well, it take a bit of time since "U" model CPUs have low clockspeeds. Unless you use a program that is capable of using Quick Sync.
a b D Laptop
November 3, 2012 8:48:24 PM

I can't blame you for what you want but all I can think of is that people in hell want ice water.
!