Strangely Poor performance?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've just re-installed Windows (XP Pro w/ SP2) and seem to have really bad performance in games. Everything else seems fine, but I've tried a couple of games (GTA:SA and Dungeon Lords) and they both are 'jerktastic'.. sub-20FPS I'd guess.
I have forceware 77.72 installed, and chipset drivers installed (although I'm downloading some more atm from the Epox site..)

Any thoughts?

A64 3200 @ 2.5Ghz (250x10)
1Gb Crucial Ballistix @250Mhz
Asus 6800GT 128Mb
Epox 9NDA3J

I'll run 3dmark when I can be bothered to install it... But I don't seem to have it on a disk anywhere so I'll have to download it first.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I don't have any processes running that shouldn't be there, and I did have this rig running like it should in games up until I did a clean install, so it's not a hardware issue.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
ok, I just started running 3dmark 2001SE, but didn't bother letting it run through when I saw it was only getting 25-30FPS on the first test :frown:

Performance setting is on 'Quality' in the drivers, and AA/AF and Vsync are all set to application preference.

I'm downloading the 67.66 Forcewares now.... Hopefully they'll be better.

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
the 77.72 were the most recent WHQL ones I found on nvidia's site...

---

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Motherboard chipset drivers? I forget to install them every once in awhile when I do a clean install.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
nope. Tried the ones that came with the board, and some standard nvidia ones, but they both do the same.

---

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Could it possibly be that the older drivers may work better for your rig than the newer ones?

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Tried a few forceware revisions - running 67.65 (IIRC) at the moment.

I haven't tried the newest BETAs though.

My 3dMark 2001SE score is ~4500 or so, to give you an idea of performance atm.. :frown: IIRC my old Geforce2 Ultra was better than this.

I did have my older install still available and bootable for a while, and I could boot into that one and all was fine, so it can't be a hardware or BIOS problem.

I'll try the newest beta Forceware drivers, and if that doesn't work I'll just have to re-install. Again. Bollocks.

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Nah, tried them with no difference... Started getting a couple of blue screens and suchlike though, so I'm re-installing XP instead...

I'll go straight for the 77.77s this time..

I'll post back if any more problems...

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well, by doing a re-install of windows and checking a game (raven shield in this case) I discovered what causes this.... my RAID card. As soon as I get the drivers installed (in fact, even if windows installs its own drivers instead) I get the slowdown problem. Most annoying. it never did that with the old install. :frown:

So now I have 3 SATA HDDs, and only 2 SATA ports. There's nothing on the RAID array that I desparately need to keep, so I don't mind losing the array, but losing an 80Gb disk sucks.

I could try replacing the card, but it was fine on my older windows install - the only real differences are that it's no longer the system disk, and that this XP install has SP2 installed.

Well, I guess I'll try to find some improved drivers....

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Nah, it's based on the Ali M5283 (5823 maybe? - at work now and forgotten.. :redface: ) chipset. I'll try sticking it in a different PCI slot or something, but aside from that I can't think of much else to try - I know there aren't many driver versions available from recent experience ( I made a thread about it somewhere...)

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You can judge how bored with/busy I am at work by how much I post here! :lol: ..

I would think a good 80-90% of all the posts I've ever done here have been while at work... And it's even been the same job all these years...

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 08/01/05 11:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
An Idea! I'm gonna try setting it up the way it was when I get home - i.e. booting off the RAID array! maybe it'll work then... :eek: .

At least that way I can install and boot off that without effecting my existing (working) installation...

If that works, then I'll have to live with it I guess - main reason for not keeping things that way is I wanted to not lose the 'old' system until I'd got a new one working...

The saga continues.... :lol:

Aww crap. Just remembered I lent my XP CD to somebody :frown: Ah well, it'll wait a couple of days.

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
hmm. Actually, you've got me thinking about XP64 now....

Maybe.

I'm developing a Dungeon Siege addiction though, so I might find it difficult to get around to playing with this stuff... :eek:

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
OK, I'll downlo... er, I mean buy a copy and see what it's like... :evil:

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I'm assuming that reply is actually meant for me... Since Wusy doesn't appear to have posted any problems... :wink:

It was XP w/ SP1. The reason I went for a clean install is because I'd had that one through a motherboard replacement (did a repair install), so a couple of things didn't quite work as they should - ACPI wasn't installed properly so it wouldn't shut down, Windows Media Player would crash on exiting, and windows <i>refused</i> to let me assign anything else to view .avi files with (meaning I always needed to right-click and pick 'Open With' all the time).. Everything else was ok, but it's always nice to start with a clean install from time to time :smile: .

In case you missed it, I've figured out what the problem was - it was my PCI RAID card that I had 2 drives plugged into. As soon as the drivers for that are installed the systems crawls for 3d gaming, and just generally isn't very responsive. Temporary fix for now is I'm just not running with the card plugged in at all, but I'm going to attempt to install windows itself on the RAID array (Which is how it was set up beforehand) and see if that helps - if it does, then that's how I'll keep it, most likely... if not, then I'll probably lose an 80Gb disk and just use the two on-board SATA ports for a while instead...

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Dungeon Seige isn't turn-based really..... It is fairly dungeons and dragons (armor, spells, that sort of thing), but it's basically real-time for most of the combat stuff. Almost like a RTS game in many respects.

---

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Ya, woops, clicked the wrong one *sheepish grin*

I totally understand the desire for clean installs. keep my system set up specifically so that I can do them easily caues I like to do it every 6 months or less. I did catch the error source as well, was just wondering if anything would jump out at me with the RAID problems based on the OS. Nothing comes to mind though, as I don't see SP2 screwing around that much with RAID set-ups. Good luck to you.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
The only other difference I can think of (as alluded to above) is the fact that the RAID card used to house the System partition, whereas here I'm just trying to use it for storage.

I don't really care either way, so I'll try installing it on the RAID card again. If it works, great! if not, I can always just boot off the current install and ditch the card or something...

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well, Just to update, it seems windows Really hates this card. If it's <i>not</i> the system partition :smile: .

Got it running a 40Gb System Partition on the RAID card, and it's running sweetly now.

I knew I'd get there in the end. I always do :wink:

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
umm... What? Not me, no no no no...[/trying to protect reputation]

<pre>Shh! be quiet, I can't let people realise I'm not perfect all the time...</pre><p>
---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
ummm... My day at work? :lol:

Nearly 6 hours to go... And then the weekend...

Bored again... Very bored.

---