XP Self Activated - Is this Possible?

June 22, 2005 12:41:35 PM

I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.

More about : activated

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:47:06 PM

Many computer manufacturers install a BIOS-locked version
of Windows XP that does not require Product Activation. That
is probably your case as well.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Tom Runge" wrote:

| I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
| internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
| The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
| activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
| to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
| activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
| tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
| activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
| any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
| cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
| offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:02:18 PM

Tom;
Is it possible you saw a Registration wizard?
Most likely your computer came pre-activated.
There would be an opportunity to register but not activate.

Do not confuse Activation and Registration.
Registration includes personal information and is optional.
Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
June 22, 2005 10:55:39 PM

Tom Runge wrote:
> I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.

1) Your computer has a BIOS locked installation. Activation was done at
the factory and is not required.

2) No, you are not cross-posting, you are multi-posting. Please learn the
difference: to cross post you click the newsgroups button and select the
groups you wish to post to - two or three *relevant* groups is plenty.
Multi-posting means copying and pasting the message into a new message
window each time and then posting it to each group individually. This is
frowned upon for several reasons: -

a) Each message is a new thread in each of the groups it's posted to.

b) Information is duplicated and people will think they are helping only
to have you say "I've already tried that". They cannot see what advice you
have been given to your posts in other groups. This will frustrate posters
and you may end up receiving no assistance at all. If you cross-post, all
messages are kept in the same thread and people can see what other advice
you have received.

c) It's a waste of bandwidth.

d) It's annoying and frustrating.
June 22, 2005 10:55:40 PM

Asked and answered by FAR MORE qualified people. Quit taking up space with
your worthless BS and rotten mouth.

> Tom Runge wrote:
>> I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
>> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
>> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
>> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
>> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
>> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
>> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
>> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
>> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
>> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
>> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
>
> 1) Your computer has a BIOS locked installation. Activation was done at
> the factory and is not required.
>
> 2) No, you are not cross-posting, you are multi-posting. Please learn
> the difference: to cross post you click the newsgroups button and select
> the groups you wish to post to - two or three *relevant* groups is plenty.
> Multi-posting means copying and pasting the message into a new message
> window each time and then posting it to each group individually. This is
> frowned upon for several reasons: -
>
> a) Each message is a new thread in each of the groups it's posted to.
>
> b) Information is duplicated and people will think they are helping
> only to have you say "I've already tried that". They cannot see what
> advice you have been given to your posts in other groups. This will
> frustrate posters and you may end up receiving no assistance at all. If
> you cross-post, all messages are kept in the same thread and people can
> see what other advice you have received.
>
> c) It's a waste of bandwidth.
>
> d) It's annoying and frustrating.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:55:40 PM

I certainly do appreciate you setting me straight on all of this and
again (as I already did) I apologize if this upset anyone. I do have
a question for you though. I am led to believe that a reply to a
cross-post will go to all newsgroups with the original msg? I do not
post on newsgroups very often so do not know too much about it.

Thanks again.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:55:39 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
<test@test.com> wrote:

>Tom Runge wrote:
>> I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
>> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
>> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
>> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
>> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
>> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
>> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
>> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
>> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
>> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
>> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
>
>1) Your computer has a BIOS locked installation. Activation was done at
>the factory and is not required.
>
>2) No, you are not cross-posting, you are multi-posting. Please learn the
>difference: to cross post you click the newsgroups button and select the
>groups you wish to post to - two or three *relevant* groups is plenty.
>Multi-posting means copying and pasting the message into a new message
>window each time and then posting it to each group individually. This is
>frowned upon for several reasons: -
>
>a) Each message is a new thread in each of the groups it's posted to.
>
>b) Information is duplicated and people will think they are helping only
>to have you say "I've already tried that". They cannot see what advice you
>have been given to your posts in other groups. This will frustrate posters
>and you may end up receiving no assistance at all. If you cross-post, all
>messages are kept in the same thread and people can see what other advice
>you have received.
>
>c) It's a waste of bandwidth.
>
>d) It's annoying and frustrating.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:55:41 PM

Tom;
You multi posted, posted several posts separately.
You should have cross posted.
Cross posted messages are easier since once we have read one, the others are
also marked as read.
An answer posted to one is answered to all.
Generally you should limit cross posting to about 3 - 4 relevant newsgroups.
Beyond that you are probably off topic on some newsgroups.
As you did it, you need to go back to each post to see the answers to each.

--

>I certainly do appreciate you setting me straight on all of this and
> again (as I already did) I apologize if this upset anyone. I do have
> a question for you though. I am led to believe that a reply to a
> cross-post will go to all newsgroups with the original msg? I do not
> post on newsgroups very often so do not know too much about it.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:55:39 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
> <test@test.com> wrote:
>
>>Tom Runge wrote:
>>> I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
>>> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
>>> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
>>> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
>>> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
>>> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
>>> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
>>> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
>>> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
>>> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
>>> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
>>
>>1) Your computer has a BIOS locked installation. Activation was done at
>>the factory and is not required.
>>
>>2) No, you are not cross-posting, you are multi-posting. Please learn
>>the
>>difference: to cross post you click the newsgroups button and select the
>>groups you wish to post to - two or three *relevant* groups is plenty.
>>Multi-posting means copying and pasting the message into a new message
>>window each time and then posting it to each group individually. This is
>>frowned upon for several reasons: -
>>
>>a) Each message is a new thread in each of the groups it's posted to.
>>
>>b) Information is duplicated and people will think they are helping
>>only
>>to have you say "I've already tried that". They cannot see what advice you
>>have been given to your posts in other groups. This will frustrate posters
>>and you may end up receiving no assistance at all. If you cross-post, all
>>messages are kept in the same thread and people can see what other advice
>>you have received.
>>
>>c) It's a waste of bandwidth.
>>
>>d) It's annoying and frustrating.

Anonymous