WEP Key Puzzlement(?)

Have US Robotics 5410 "talking" to a SMC WLAN Router. The SMC uses
(only) Hexadecimal characters in WEP key. USR PC card can use either
ASCII or Hex.

If, for example, I'm using a 64-bit WEP key in the SMC (in Hex) of:
3132333435

What would I need to put in a WEP key in the USR unit? Would it also
be (same as the router): 3132333435 (in Hex) or, 12345 in ASCII?

If so, how come the units will not "talk" when I do so?

When I turn-off the WEP in both, they will immediately link up.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

John
4 answers Last reply
More about puzzlement

    If the SMC only got HEX, then choose HEX also on the USR with the *same*
    number. For myself, even when using HEX, I choose numeric only numbers for
    my key (no alpha) by typing randomly on my numeric keypad. Also choose the
    same key number, that is, key 1 to key 4 on both. Do not go beyong 64-bit
    key as 128 and 256-bit keys are *not* standardized between manufacturers.

    Peter

    "John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> a écrit dans le message de
    > Have US Robotics 5410 "talking" to a SMC WLAN Router. The SMC uses
    > (only) Hexadecimal characters in WEP key. USR PC card can use either
    > ASCII or Hex.
    >
    > If, for example, I'm using a 64-bit WEP key in the SMC (in Hex) of:
    > 3132333435
    >
    > What would I need to put in a WEP key in the USR unit? Would it also
    > be (same as the router): 3132333435 (in Hex) or, 12345 in ASCII?
    >
    > If so, how come the units will not "talk" when I do so?
    >
    > When I turn-off the WEP in both, they will immediately link up.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    >

    > John

    Checkout
    http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html

    Guy

    John wrote:
    > Have US Robotics 5410 "talking" to a SMC WLAN Router. The SMC uses
    > (only) Hexadecimal characters in WEP key. USR PC card can use either
    > ASCII or Hex.
    >
    > If, for example, I'm using a 64-bit WEP key in the SMC (in Hex) of:
    > 3132333435
    >
    > What would I need to put in a WEP key in the USR unit? Would it also
    > be (same as the router): 3132333435 (in Hex) or, 12345 in ASCII?
    >
    > If so, how come the units will not "talk" when I do so?
    >
    > When I turn-off the WEP in both, they will immediately link up.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    >

    > John

    Try with "0x" in front.

    Don Woodward

    "John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
    > Have US Robotics 5410 "talking" to a SMC WLAN Router. The SMC uses
    > (only) Hexadecimal characters in WEP key. USR PC card can use either
    > ASCII or Hex.
    >
    > If, for example, I'm using a 64-bit WEP key in the SMC (in Hex) of:
    > 3132333435
    >
    > What would I need to put in a WEP key in the USR unit? Would it also
    > be (same as the router): 3132333435 (in Hex) or, 12345 in ASCII?
    >
    > If so, how come the units will not "talk" when I do so?
    >
    > When I turn-off the WEP in both, they will immediately link up.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    >

    > John

    Late report. After all of the suggestions here and some customer
    service help from USR, the problem was targeted as the ver. 5.0
    upgrade software available on the USR web site. A suggestion from one
    of the several USR techies was to go back to the software/drivers
    which came with the unit (after they suggested to go to it in an
    earlier email). After uninstall/install, the HEX to HEX WEP key worked
    in the 64-bit version. I'll try 128- and 256-bit when I get the new
    (back-ordered) SMC 802.11g router.

    Thanks again to all who made suggestions; I learned a lot from your
    experience.

    John

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:25:15 -0400, "News Account" <none@none.com>
    wrote:

    >Try with "0x" in front.
    >
    >Don Woodward
    >

    >"John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
    >> Have US Robotics 5410 "talking" to a SMC WLAN Router. The SMC uses
    >> (only) Hexadecimal characters in WEP key. USR PC card can use either
    >> ASCII or Hex.
    >>
    >> If, for example, I'm using a 64-bit WEP key in the SMC (in Hex) of:
    >> 3132333435
    >>
    >> What would I need to put in a WEP key in the USR unit? Would it also
    >> be (same as the router): 3132333435 (in Hex) or, 12345 in ASCII?
    >>
    >> If so, how come the units will not "talk" when I do so?
    >>
    >> When I turn-off the WEP in both, they will immediately link up.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    >>

    >> John

Routers WEP SMC Wireless Networking