WEP Key Puzzlement(?)

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Have US Robotics 5410 "talking" to a SMC WLAN Router. The SMC uses
(only) Hexadecimal characters in WEP key. USR PC card can use either
ASCII or Hex.

If, for example, I'm using a 64-bit WEP key in the SMC (in Hex) of:
3132333435

What would I need to put in a WEP key in the USR unit? Would it also
be (same as the router): 3132333435 (in Hex) or, 12345 in ASCII?

If so, how come the units will not "talk" when I do so?

When I turn-off the WEP in both, they will immediately link up.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

John

peter

If the SMC only got HEX, then choose HEX also on the USR with the *same*
number. For myself, even when using HEX, I choose numeric only numbers for
my key (no alpha) by typing randomly on my numeric keypad. Also choose the
same key number, that is, key 1 to key 4 on both. Do not go beyong 64-bit
key as 128 and 256-bit keys are *not* standardized between manufacturers.

Peter

"John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> a écrit dans le message de
> Have US Robotics 5410 "talking" to a SMC WLAN Router. The SMC uses
> (only) Hexadecimal characters in WEP key. USR PC card can use either
> ASCII or Hex.
>
> If, for example, I'm using a 64-bit WEP key in the SMC (in Hex) of:
> 3132333435
>
> What would I need to put in a WEP key in the USR unit? Would it also
> be (same as the router): 3132333435 (in Hex) or, 12345 in ASCII?
>
> If so, how come the units will not "talk" when I do so?
>
> When I turn-off the WEP in both, they will immediately link up.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>

> John

Checkout
http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html

Guy

John wrote:
> Have US Robotics 5410 "talking" to a SMC WLAN Router. The SMC uses
> (only) Hexadecimal characters in WEP key. USR PC card can use either
> ASCII or Hex.
>
> If, for example, I'm using a 64-bit WEP key in the SMC (in Hex) of:
> 3132333435
>
> What would I need to put in a WEP key in the USR unit? Would it also
> be (same as the router): 3132333435 (in Hex) or, 12345 in ASCII?
>
> If so, how come the units will not "talk" when I do so?
>
> When I turn-off the WEP in both, they will immediately link up.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>

> John

Try with "0x" in front.

Don Woodward

"John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
> Have US Robotics 5410 "talking" to a SMC WLAN Router. The SMC uses
> (only) Hexadecimal characters in WEP key. USR PC card can use either
> ASCII or Hex.
>
> If, for example, I'm using a 64-bit WEP key in the SMC (in Hex) of:
> 3132333435
>
> What would I need to put in a WEP key in the USR unit? Would it also
> be (same as the router): 3132333435 (in Hex) or, 12345 in ASCII?
>
> If so, how come the units will not "talk" when I do so?
>
> When I turn-off the WEP in both, they will immediately link up.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>

> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Late report. After all of the suggestions here and some customer
service help from USR, the problem was targeted as the ver. 5.0
upgrade software available on the USR web site. A suggestion from one
of the several USR techies was to go back to the software/drivers
which came with the unit (after they suggested to go to it in an
earlier email). After uninstall/install, the HEX to HEX WEP key worked
in the 64-bit version. I'll try 128- and 256-bit when I get the new
(back-ordered) SMC 802.11g router.

Thanks again to all who made suggestions; I learned a lot from your
experience.

John