Please help me!! Win XP wont boot without the CD!!

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
Hello,
Everytime I boot my computer right underneath the bios screen this comes up.

"Veryfying DMI Pool Data"
"Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM"
"Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM"
"DISK BOOT FAILURE: INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

After this I insert my Win XP Professional CD and press enter and my computer boots. I dont know what is wrong. O yeah I have in bios set for the first HD (which i have XP on and my only HD) to boot first. After that I have CD rom and floppy. I would greatly appreciate if anyone helped. Thank You so much.

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
well i dont think this would matter but just a tip, usually you want the floppy drive set first. But it looks like you have a pretty serious problem with your comp. I dont know if it would require reinstallation or not to fix. ANd has this been like this forever or only after you did something?

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
No, after i did something, but i forgot. Its not that bad because itll still boot but annoying that I need to have my Win XP Cd everytime.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think your XP loader is damaged that needs to be fixed by using XP CD (actually is Recovery console in CD).

1. Start your computer with XP CD.
2. When the <b><font color=blue>Welcome to Setup</b></font color=blue> screen appears, press <b><font color=red>R</b></font color=red> to select the <b>repair</b> option.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the <b>Recovery Console</b>.
3. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

<font color=red><b>NOTE:</b></font color=red> If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
4. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type <b>fixboot</b>, and then press <b>ENTER</b>.
5. At the command prompt, type <b>exit</b>, and then press <b>ENTER</b> to restart your computer.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.